Roy Williams Retires

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Hubert was the man from the get go. nothing about a minority. Hubert is/was a great Carolina man. He was my choice to replace Roy and I knew he would get first crack at it. Hubert was one heck of a player and a great guy as well. UNC doesnt want or need to hire from the outside. Awesome hire for the Heels!

also really gentlemen if you dont have anything good to say just dont say it. I know a few of you cant help it but if you cant say anything good then be silent.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Minority carolina man or not, he has zero head coaching experience at one of the most self bloviated skools to ever blow a horn. Seems like a top tier skool could hire a proven winner. Guess not.

nothing good to say???? mods need to rein in ole bux.
All the UNC people I know personally wanted Hubert. He is one outstanding man and the world could use more people like Hubert;).......... He was Roys choice to take his place and if roy believes he is capable then I am fine with it.
Like I said if you have nothing good to say then dont say it.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll be the first to say I was a little surprised. I love Hubert. He was a great player college and pro.....great analyst along side jay bilas and has been a great assistant coach. He knows the system and I think he “could” do a good job. I hope he’s ready for this. Hope we don’t have another Doherty. They’re gonna have to be patient with him though. He is not going to win immediately.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
nothing good to say???? mods need to rein in ole bux.
All the UNC people I know personally wanted Hubert. He is one outstanding man and the world could use more people like Hubert;).......... He was Roys choice to take his place and if roy believes he is capable then I am fine with it.
Like I said if you have nothing good to say then dont say it.

Nothing I posted is untrue, nor is it defamatory. His head coaching record is 0-0.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do the articles not say that he has been hired?
They do and he has been. I do not agree he is the most qualified for the job, but hey I like when they lose.

May turn into a great coach, but they have to know he is a project and give him time...or reinstate the fake classes.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
They do and he has been. I do not agree he is the most qualified for the job, but hey I like when they lose.

May turn into a great coach, but they have to know he is a project and give him time...or reinstate the fake classes.

Reinstate?

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Anybody have any insight into why everyone seems so insistent that they hire from within?
Because they have a culture of winning, and there is no reason to look outside. They want someone that "gets it."
What would be gained? Not much. Proven winner? there are none (available) that would be anything but a less-than or come with baggage/heat that the program doesn't want.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Have you ever seen Hubert participate in a game in a meaningful way? I have not.
Coach someone leaving or coming into the game?
Grab Roy and say "WITH are you doing?"
He is the most passive assistant head coach I have ever witnessed Even K's coaches even seem to actually participate during a game.
I was coming back from SC hunting yesterday and caught his press conference on the radio.
His speech was spectacularly emotional. But what does that net you? I think his hiring was as emotional on unc's part as his presser.
I wish him and the program well but will be very happily surprised if he is immediately up to UNC historical win levels.
We shall see.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Have you ever seen Hubert participate in a game in a meaningful way? I have not.
He is the most passive assistant head coach I have ever witnessed Even K's coaches even seem to actually participate during a game.
I was coming back from SC hunting yesterday and caught his press conference on the radio.
His speech was spectacularly emotional. But what does that net you? I think his hiring was as emotional on unc's part as his presser.
I wish him and the program well but will be very happily surprised if he is immediately up to UNC historical win levels.
We shall see.

Fwiw, this is how you respectfully question the hire...

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
We shall see.

Honestly, I am not excited about Hubert. Folks were oohing and ahing about his presser yesterday but the entire thing was a recap of his career as if he was trying to justify why he got the job. He knows he’s in over his head and he’s trying to sell himself to the fan base. He answered nothing with substance, nothing about his plans, nothing about his style of basketball, and it left me wondering if everyone else was listening to what I was listening to.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Had a UNC fan tell me (rumor of course) that Davis was going to hire Lebo as an Asst Coach. Lebo’s son is a current walk-on. Lebo does have HC experience. Would you UNC fans like that hire??

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Roy loves UNC basketball as much or more than anybody and wants them to be successful. If he thinks Hubert is the best guy for the job, then I trust that he is. My personal choice would have been Wes Miller, but it doesn't matter what I think.

I’m sure he vouched for C.B. McGrath and Jared Haas too.

But judgement can be clouded when you value carrying a legacy over finding a proven winner.

I’m not sold.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I think its about recruiting. Coaching is important, recruiting is a lot more important. Behind the scenes he could have been doing a large part of that already.
HD better be a hellavu recruiter. Best I can tell he's starting from scratch. but losing brooks is to be expected. he always did think his value was greater than he showed.