How do y’all cook em?

Mgunns

Spike
Hopefully getting my Son on some squirrels next week. What’s a good way to cook them that a young man would like? He eats venison but never had a squirrel and I want to cook it up in a way he’d enjoy it.

Thanks

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I haven’t fed this to a squirrel hunter yet who didn’t love it. Even non-hunting folk love it too.

The recipe I used for the video is in the description. You can add or subtract items to make it how you like.

How to Make Squirrel Brunswick Stew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I have also boiled for about 15 minutes then picked the meat off.
Then basically made 'chicken' noodle soup with them.

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
I haven’t fed this to a squirrel hunter yet who didn’t love it. Even non-hunting folk love it too.

The recipe I used for the video is in the description. You can add or subtract items to make it how you like.

How to Make Squirrel Brunswick Stew

After watching the huntress in this video, damn we are getting old...I remember the the day she was born... Enjoyed the videol!

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
After watching the huntress in this video, damn we are getting old...I remember the the day she was born... Enjoyed the videol!

Indeed, we are aged now! You saved me from divorce that day by cleaning that deer that morning so I could go bring that youngin home from the hospital!! I won’t forget that day, it was pretty stellar on both fronts.

She does love her some stew. Always asks for a second bowl.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Squirrel and dumplings are my favorite. But young ones fried with rice and gravy is such a close second it would be a photo finish.

Birdman

Six Pointer
Quarter them, season, bread with flour, fry then put in crock pot and cover with water cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Make pot of rice and you are good to go. Really good eating. I also like to soak in salt water overnight...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, the soak in salt water was ingrained in me. If I hunt with a rifle they are supposed to be headshot, shouldn't be any bloodshot to them. If they are shot with a shotgun that sure gets most of the bloodshot out.

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
W
Indeed, we are aged now! You saved me from divorce that day by cleaning that deer that morning so I could go bring that youngin home from the hospital!! I won’t forget that day, it was pretty stellar on both fronts.

She does love her some stew. Always asks for a second bowl.

Wouldn't change a thing!!!

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I make squirrel gravy. Cook in a pot of water, boil, reduce heat and simmer until the meat slips easily off of the bone. Remove bones and chop the meat up small. Make gravy using the water from cooking the squirrel, add in all of the meat. Put it over those biscuits you had in the oven and I guarantee it will be delicious.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
It's great on its own, not too gamey. The way I like mine is to throw em in a pan, heat em up with some vegetables, throw a lil seasoning on it, and eat it up like that.

This way you taste the squirrel without drowning out the flavor.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I cook them on low overnight in a crockpot. Drain squirrels and pick meat off the bones. Use 2 cups of the broth, add 2 cups of milk and about 1 1/2 inch piece of margarine. Bring it to boil in a black cast iron skillet for about 10 minutes, salt and pepper and stir in a table spoon of cornstarch to thicken a little. Put the squirrel meat back into the gravy and pour over open face biscuits. Sometimes I roll the legs and back in flour and brown it good in skillet with lard. Then put it into the crockpot and cover with water, add pepper and salt maybe a little garlic and a sliced onion add 1 bay leaf. let it slow cook for about 5 or 6 hours or till tender keeping water up on it. Kinda like you would fix oxtail stew. Your gravy should be brown.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Power boil, pick meat off. Flour and pepper, fry in skillet. Remove meat, make gravy with residue in skillet. Return meat to skillet with gravy. Let it simmer for a while. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. You will hurt yourself.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Throw 10 hams in a Low crockpot.
Add general tsos chicken marinade or whatever stir fry sauce you like.

wait like 5 hrs.

pick the bones and sauté the meat with stir fry veggies and some fat udon noodles and soy sauce.

hard to beat. Good option if you don’t want to fry.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm going to try this. The recipe starts at around the 3:00 mark. I saw it on the MeatEater show too.

I'm gonna have to try that,,, looks like would work with most anything similar (squirrel, rabbit, game birds, etc) .... but for me, less salt and more pepper!

found it humorous (and I know - nitpicky) at the 4:38 stage I was listening but not watching,,, heard him say "stuff with peppers, onions, jalapenos, and your choice of cheese" then roll up,,, I looked at video and seen that tray of meat off to the side and was like "when the heck is he using the meat??".,,, then seen meat in the next shot so went back and read the script and seen the "lay out the crescent rolls and add meat, peppers,,etc"

does look good though,,, I don't need the bread but who don't like crescent rolls!

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I pressure can the tree rats, then they fall off of the bone and cook them any way you want.