Soooo! Whos still watching baseball this year?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The sad part is I think most mlb players are built more conservative so I would find it interesting to see a poll from all players on this topic. The players in mlb aren’t like nfl or nba players.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I gave up on MLB when they ran out of prima donnas for their so called all star game 20 or so years ago.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I gave up pro and college sports years ago. I'm tired of them injecting their idiot liberal politics into their businesses and I refuse to support them. Just remember that while simply NOT buying tickets to their games or buying their "spirit wear" or watching their televised games is PART of it, if you are paying for satellite or cable programming that carries these games, you ARE still $upporting thi$ garbage. Tho$e revenue$ are huge $$ for them.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will watch as much as I normally would, no different than anything else IMO.. had this discussion before.. try to avoid every company that does things you don't agree with and you have a full time job just denying yourself... If that makes you feel better, have at it. As Greg mentioned I am already funding them with my TV package and I will not be changing that so I might as well enjoy the competition at the same time.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I will watch as much as I normally would, no different than anything else IMO.. had this discussion before.. try to avoid every company that does things you don't agree with and you have a full time job just denying yourself... If that makes you feel better, have at it. As Greg mentioned I am already funding them with my TV package and I will not be changing that so I might as well enjoy the competition at the same time.

Like someone much wiser than I once said "you get what you tolerate..."

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I agree to an extent but this is different. I do business with company’s I don’t agree with but for MLB to flex their power to affect laws of the land now that’s a problem. I love baseball and even though I have stopped watching most any sports I have never thought about not watching baseball. This sucks as a fan especially a Braves fan and even more so as I was planning on attending the game.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No worries here..... had no idea the game was in GA to start with and dang sure had no cares about baseball’s political stances..... move the :donk:donk:donk:donk show wherever you like

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I disagree about the full time job part. It's actually pretty easy the way things are. Once a company, actor, whatever, makes their political/social views wildly known, if I disagree, I simply don't grace them with my time or money. It's freed me up for a lot more important things.

It isn't hard once you quantify what's important and what's not.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I disagree about the full time job part. It's actually pretty easy the way things are. Once a company, actor, whatever, makes their political/social views wildly known, if I disagree, I simply don't grace them with my time or money. It's freed me up for a lot more important things.

It isn't hard once you quantify what's important and what's not.
Disagree if you like. We had a thread on how interconnected businesses and brands are. All I am saying is you are still supporting them whether you chose to think so or not

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Disagree if you like. We had a thread on how interconnected businesses and brands are. All I am saying is you are still supporting them whether you chose to think so or not
So, if I don't have a paid TV package, and I don't watch the NFL, I'm still supporting the NFL, so I may as well watch football?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I was never interested in activities that I did not participate in. Since I don't play professional games or sports they have never interested me and I rarely ever give them a second thought. That's why I hunt, fish, shoot, and even do a little birding at times. If you can't join and participate why bother? I'm not saying that you or anyone else should or shouldn't enjoy their voyeuristic pursuits of watching others do things but it's just not my cup of tea. :)

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So, if I don't have a paid TV package, and I don't watch the NFL, I'm still supporting the NFL, so I may as well watch football?
Do you boycott companies that sponsor the NFL? Have business contracts with the NFL?
What about products endorsed by the NFL? Or it’s players? Coaches?
How about products made or sold by companies owned by NFL owners/players/coaches?

If not, then you still support the NFL whether you like it or not. Same goes with any other sport, business, person, etc that you don’t like.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Do you boycott companies that sponsor the NFL? Have business contracts with the NFL?
What about products endorsed by the NFL? Or it’s players? Coaches?
How about products made or sold by companies owned by NFL owners/players/coaches?

If not, then you still support the NFL whether you like it or not. Same goes with any other sport, business, person, etc that you don’t like.
Heck, I would be willing to say that most of the products we use as a family are local or small business and probably not subject to a sponsorship and/or endorsement. Right down to my socks. I haven't had a big name chocolate bar in years. We end up getting a lot of that, and coffee from fair trade organizations. And all my beer is small brewery stuff, because I like it.

Curious if Hodgdon powder sponsors the NFL? I do a fair business with them.

The whole position is a double edged sword. On one side you got people that say you can't avoid supporting things you don't like so they are willing to tolerate the whole shebang. On the other, you have people who make an effort to give as little support as possible.

With regards to sports and entertainment, I just can't see tolerating more than needed to survive, and I don't think they are a life necessity...

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Sure there are certain tangible associations that are indirectly supported by consumers, that’s how free commerce works. There is still a little control by consumers to not spend their extra cash with companies they do not want to directly support.

Think taxes; you indirectly support programs you politically disagree with but you are not going to go out of your way to directly support them by donating additional money.