Flounder 2021

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
What do you want to talk about? There’s plenty of flounder. Those that want to catch them, catch plenty of them. Recs want to jump to the throats of commercial guys when it comes to improving a fishery, without self examination.

DING DING DING FREAKING DING!!!!!! WINNER WINNER!!!!
I know a few very experienced flounder fishermen. They all still catch just as many flounder as they used to. I ain’t saying there/ not some stock reduction, but it’s sure funny to me how the people good at catching flounder are still catching flounder. You don’t see them post all kinds of pics either. They quietly go about their business catching fish and they have enough in their freezers to enjoy them whenever. I’m envious as hell. Not gonna lie!
Bad duck hunters blame big money and flooded corn. Bad saltwater water fishermen blame commercial guys.

Wilmywood

Button Buck
I’m the only “commercial side” that has replied to this thread. Those other responses you are laughing about are from recreational fishermen.

I have a hard time taking anyone seriously when they refer to the commercial fishery as unregulated. I use to make over half of my income flounder fishing. In the past ten years I’ve been regulated pretty much completely out of the fishery by the large mesh net regulations. Last year I didn’t sell 100 pound of flounder. How is that unregulated?

Never in any of my previous responses did I refer to the commercial fishery as unregulated. You all are plenty regulated. I am unhappy with the allocations and means of harvest.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Never in any of my previous responses did I refer to the commercial fishery as unregulated. You all are plenty regulated. I am unhappy with the allocations and means of harvest.

What’s fair then? Why does that number make it fair? What if the other side says it’s not fair to them? Who’s right and who’s wrong? Most guys I know that fish flounder fish pound nets. I’m not sure you can get much more friendly than that. Beats the hell out of any other method, hook and line included.

Wilmywood

Button Buck
What’s fair then? Why does that number make it fair? What if the other side says it’s not fair to them? Who’s right and who’s wrong? Most guys I know that fish flounder fish pound nets. I’m not sure you can get much more friendly than that. Beats the hell out of any other method, hook and line included.

I've got no problem with pound nets. As far as what makes it fair that's the big question isn't it? In all honestly the commission should just shut the whole season down across the board if they are so worried about population numbers. A motion to do just that was actually brought up in the meeting but was unanimously denied obviously. A lot of rec guys are just going to kill what they want anyways so do allocations even matter? Do limits even matter? I fish 2-3 days most weeks and have never been checked in 6 years so to hell with it I guess?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've got no problem with pound nets. As far as what makes it fair that's the big question isn't it? In all honestly the commission should just shut the whole season down across the board if they are so worried about population numbers. A motion to do just that was actually brought up in the meeting but was unanimously denied obviously. A lot of rec guys are just going to kill what they want anyways so do allocations even matter? Do limits even matter? I fish 2-3 days most weeks and have never been checked in 6 years so to hell with it I guess?
It is interesting how you are turning on the rec guys now.
Surely you arent jealous of poachers?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Now we know who we're dealing with.
That post was ncwaterman worthy if i've read one that was. 🚽🏆

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The way people are screeching about NCs flounder management they should fish out of state.

Folks do know the season is open in SC and Georgia?

Never seen people complain about fisheries management like they do about flounder.

Hence my fish in Georgia suggestion.

Carry on.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The way people are screeching about NCs flounder management they should fish out of state.

Never seen people complain about fisheries management like they do about flounder.

Carry on.
Kinda like you and the CCP procedure?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

Carry on.

Yeah because its easier to ride 35 minutes to S c than walk to the end of the street

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Doesn't matter when you want to fill a freezer with flounder and legally can't.

You can in SC and GA keep flounder right now, recreationally.

I guess it depends on how desperate one is to keep flounder.

Last edited:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Welp ain’t much anyone can do about it now. Could be worse I reckon. But hey, the wrc should have a huge revenue stream from all the tickets that are gonna be need to be paid from the people who stick/ catch more than just one and get caught..... so I guess the boat ramps will be getting upgrades early next year. Haha

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Welp ain’t much anyone can do about it now. Could be worse I reckon. But hey, the wrc should have a huge revenue stream from all the tickets that are gonna be need to be paid from the people who stick/ catch more than just one and get caught..... so I guess the boat ramps will be getting upgrades early next year. Haha
You mean Marine Fisheries.! WRC only has jurisdiction in joint waters.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So where is this 1 fish limit? As of today's announcement, there's still a 4 fish limit

But what is amendment 3?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
So where is this 1 fish limit? As of today's announcement, there's still a 4 fish limit

But what is amendment 3?
Amendment 3 is where the 1 fish limit will come from. It doesn’t get voted on until August. The discussion on this thread is the result of the release of amendment 3 for public comment before the vote.

Every year that the “new regulations” haven’t achieved what the FMP says they should have, you get another amendment. Constantly implementing new regulations based on two to three year old data.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Here’s another kicker, commercial harvest numbers are part of what is used to determine the condition of the fishery. We harvest less because of increased regulations, they in turn say there’s less fish in the water, then they reduce limits more.

DeerJerky

Six Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like the folks that make these decisions need to be replaced.
We all need to make sure and do our part to make it happen.
Although sometimes it seems like a lost cause.
dj

Bluecrabber

Button Buck
Sounds like the folks that make these decisions need to be replaced.
We all need to make sure and do our part to make it happen.
Although sometimes it seems like a lost cause.
dj
Commercial red drum fishery closed today until May. Rec season didn’t. where is the outcry? It’s not fair.

(sarcasm)
Nothing's fair. I wish everyone would recognize one thing. The people in charge are Trying to strike a balance to a complex problem. Just remember that there is an enemy of both rec anglers and commercial fishers out there. It is not the MFC. It's coastal development with it's fresh water runoff that killing off our resources.

Wilmywood

Button Buck
Yes. They are changing the split in two years then decreasing it slowly. 70/30 for 2 seasons then 60/40 for a season and finally ending with a 50/50 split.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
South Carolina is clamping down on flounder harvest as well so running to Myrtle Beach isn't a good answer.

The bill putting a slot on flounder to keep is on the move there.