Corn Planting

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Might be just a tab but early. Ground temp needs to be 60 or above if I'm not mistaken.

This weekends forecast lows are right at or below freezing too.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Might be just a tab but early. Ground temp needs to be 60 or above if I'm not mistaken.

This weekends forecast lows are right at or below freezing too.
I think 55 is typical standard. I took morning readings of 65 last weekend. Yeah, the cold snap on Thursday & Friday are going to push it back down, but there is a lot of sun and warmer temps forecasted starting Sunday and on thru next week.

Seeing rain forecasted for next weekend.....

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Not sure where you are, but East of 95 you’re probably fine. 4/15 is our frost free date.

The only risk would be a late freeze hitting the corn in a few weeks if it’s in the seedling stage.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not sure where you are, but East of 95 you’re probably fine. 4/15 is our frost free date.

The only risk would be a late freeze hitting the corn in a few weeks if it’s in the seedling stage.
Yep. That is the deal.

I planted on the 16th last year for that reason. Farmer down the road had had his corn in the ground for 2-3 weeks by then. I would like to plant this weekend because during turkey season I would rather be .... turkey hunting :)

weather.com long range forecast (out to the 14th) shows that after this weekend the lows never dip below the high 40s.

I may go ahead and do this.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Yep. That is the deal.

I planted on the 16th last year for that reason. Farmer down the road had had his corn in the ground for 2-3 weeks by then. I would like to plant this weekend because during turkey season I would rather be .... turkey hunting :)

weather.com long range forecast (out to the 14th) shows that after this weekend the lows never dip below the high 40s.

I may go ahead and do this.
This weekend would be a great time to top seed your corn to be done before turkey season.;)

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Different varieties germinate better at higher ground temperatures. I live in a valley where cold air settles in and have to wait longer than someone living two miles away

timber

Twelve Pointer
I think corn would probably be ok to plant this weekend depending on amount of rain we end up with by tomorrow. Corn can do ok in cold ground or wet ground but where you can have problems if it’s cold and wet. I probably plant some sweet corn this Sunday unless the field is mud. Usually try plant some last week in March but weather hasn’t cooperated this year. But I am east of 95.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Last year I had to replant my first two early sweet corn patches. You never know if you’ll get to enjoy sweet corn a month before everyone else if you don’t plant. A small price to pay 😁

I haven’t even tried planting yet this year but looks like I’ll try planting Monday.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I went ahead and stuck five acres of corn in the ground today. I’ll wait a few weeks and then do the rest.

... then on to soybeans.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Indeed. I expect some leaf damage at a minimum. I may not know whether it pulls through for a couple of weeks.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I covered my potatoes last night with 6 mil plastic but they still looked rough this morning. 6 tomato plants under 5 gal buckets also appear to have gotten frozen here in cabarrus. Tonight should finish them off. This is the third spring we have seen late freezing temperatures here,next year nothing will be planted until may

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
As a follow-up, all the corn will make it. Everything that had leaf damage now has new green growth. For perspective on this, we had 28 degree temps for two consecutive mornings. Young corn is pretty hearty. From what I gather, it would have been worse if it was big enough that the growth point was above ground.