Waterfowl season public comment

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Makes about as much sense as 'we need to quit hunting Mon-Fri to take the pressure off the ducks'.
Just depends on how much weekday flexibility one has. I can hunt Mon-Fri, so we need to stop Saturday hunting as well.
Just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it's not true. There's no comparison between a weekday crowd and a weekend crowd.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it's not true. There's no comparison between a weekday crowd and a weekend crowd.
Well, actually I intended that to be a sarcastic "so ridiculous no one would actually believe it just to make a point" sort of comment. Evidentially I failed :rolleyes:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
WRC should be releasing the proposed seasons to the public for comment before long. The commissioners have been given the recommendation from WRC staff so once they get that all important public feedback, they should then approve something at their April meeting.

This will be the first time NC is divided into zones, Coastal and Inland. From what I’m hearing it appears that both zones will retain the October session but days might be limited to two in the Coastal zone and three Inland. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
While we wait, have you heard of how the coastal zone will be set up november and late season wise?

shurshot

Ten Pointer
It “appears” they are liking a second split opener for the first week in November. The final split should be opening a little before Christmas. From what I’m hearing, I think the overwhelming majority of hunters will really like their proposal.

Again, it’s important to remember that all us duck hunters will have the opportunity to comment on WRC’s proposals once they’re released. If you don’t like something, let them know! If you like what they propose, let them know that too! It was pitiful the low number comments they received a year or so back when they were proposing changes (not the survey, however). If they don’t get any feedback, then they will pretty much do what wildlife bird management staff suggests.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
It “appears” they are liking a second split opener for the first week in November. The final split should be opening a little before Christmas. From what I’m hearing, I think the overwhelming majority of hunters will really like their proposal.

Again, it’s important to remember that all us duck hunters will have the opportunity to comment on WRC’s proposals once they’re released. If you don’t like something, let them know! If you like what they propose, let them know that too! It was pitiful the low number comments they received a year or so back when they were proposing changes (not the survey, however). If they don’t get any feedback, then they will pretty much do what wildlife bird management staff suggests.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Seems like outside of an october change, this wont affect the coastal region much. Time to buy some land in the Western Zone!

vibesalive

Button Buck
The season doesn't start on Saturdays anymore like in the old days before zoning. I bet they are going to try and maximize the number of Saturdays and that may mean robbing days here and there to be able to open or close on Saturday. At least that's what I'm expecting.

Clark

Ten Pointer
The season doesn't start on Saturdays anymore like in the old days before zoning. I bet they are going to try and maximize the number of Saturdays and that may mean robbing days here and there to be able to open or close on Saturday. At least that's what I'm expecting.
Will be interesting, I don't think they can play with it too much as long as we are limited to 3 splits.

shurshot

Ten Pointer

Zoning’s not really robbing Saturdays, when the Feds allowed participating states to close duck season as late as Jan. 31st ( 2018-19 in NC?) that discombobulated it somewhat. Previously, NC typically closed the last Saturday in January so that might have meant as early as a Jan 25 closing- missing out on 5 potential days at the end. Trying to close and open on Saturdays doesn’t and didn’t always happen and from the above example, we’d of missed out on the last week trying to so. Now we do close on the last day in January which obviously could be any day. I think most might want it this way.

I ran a scenario for the 2021-22 Costal zone season. All this is based on assumption.

Oct. 21-22 or 29-30= 1 Saturday
Nov. 6-30 (a Tues.)= 4 Saturdays
Dec. 18-Jan. 29. = 7 Saturdays
Total Saturday hunt days: 12

By having the same dates above except starting the December split on Monday Dec. 20-Jan 31 would cause you to have 11 huntable Saturdays but that extra day would be made up the following Monday after a previous Saturday closure. So it basically comes down to subbing out a Saturday in order to take advantage of running duck season all the way to the end of the month or visa versa. Bottom line is we still get 60 duck hunting days.

Last edited:

vibesalive

Button Buck
I'm just saying that to get to the max # of Sat's which I'm pretty sure is 12, and keep the season closing on Jan 31 (Mon this year) they are going to have to get creative. Creative meaning doing things they haven't done before. I have no idea what the seasons will be just guessing here.

And the next two years Jan 31 falls on a Tues and Wed. Do you really think they would close the season this year on Jan 29? Personally, I highly doubt that.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I'm just saying that to get to the max # of Sat's which I'm pretty sure is 12, and keep the season closing on Jan 31 (Mon this year) they are going to have to get creative. Creative meaning doing things they haven't done before. I have no idea what the seasons will be just guessing here.

And the next two years Jan 31 falls on a Tues and Wed. Do you really think they would close the season this year on Jan 29? Personally, I highly doubt that.
Dates used to matter - back when it got cold in the late season.

shurshot

Ten Pointer

I doubt that also. Guess it boils down to those who want Saturday openings and closings (usually due to work obligations) and those that want to take the season all the way to the end, regardless the day it ends.

Dates used to matter - back when it got cold in the late season.

They sure did Clark. Now we’re stuck in that 10 year cycle that seems prevalent.
Honestly the fewer days in December the better if you ask me

Absolutely. I just as soon start the season November 1st (or late October) and put that week on a very short December opener. But we know most hunters would be livid if they couldn’t hunt around Christmas time when most everyone is off.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
Makes the seasons during the 80s & early 90s seem so distant. 3 days in October, 3 days around Thanksgiving then regular season opens early December closes early January. When the feds went all the way to Jan. 20th I was so excited. Then there is the one year shooting hours were sunrise till sunset. Lots of tickets got written for shooting wood ducks before legal shooting hours. Actually remember some really good hunts during those short seasons. Lot less folks duck hunting then for sure, maybe we should go back and thin the ranks some.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
IIRC, that LST at sunrise coincided with the 30 day-3 bird limit too. But yes , remember the “Thanksgiving” seasons ...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
For those that took the time to just even browse over this info will surely see and understand the deep commitment by WRC to survey “we the hunters” and get our prospective on waterfowl issues within our state. As stated, if you have an opinion, nows the time to step up to the plate.

Gus

Six Pointer
For those that took the time to just even browse over this info will surely see and understand the deep commitment by WRC to survey “we the hunters” and get our prospective on waterfowl issues within our state. As stated, if you have an opinion, nows the time to step up to the plate.

shurshot I truly appreciate your attention to this and making sure we're aware.
Edited: just saw proposed dates. I can sure be happy with them and left a comment.

Last edited:

nettereo16

Six Pointer
I was also surprised by the survey results the interest to add more days to December. There was definitely interest to add to the end of the season but the Feds don't allow that. The survey might have been unclear in that regard

I'd prefer more days in Nov than Dec as well

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I was against this from the start and this is why. This changed for the worst just like we knew it was. If it aint broke dont fix it.
I prefer the inland dates for the coast rather than the coastal dates for the coast. Glad we got the october season but really dont like it being so late. The advantage of October season was you could get on the early ducks. We may as well keep it going through november. It was also a nice way to scratch the itch earlier in the year. This didnt make anything better. It was pushed way too late. Adding the day after thanksgiving is a waste if you ask me. Who hunts the monday after 4 days off? Probably will be one of the least hunted days all year.

So dumb. Proof you survey the general public and you get general public results. It is what it is. Your comments wont change the season parameters its pretty much done. So dumb to mess with it in my opinion.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
"We have to split the State! It will make a huge difference and makes more sense."
And we got... Shortened october season for coastal and moved it way too late in the month with one week earlier october season and one more day for inland and one more day after Thanksgiving (which will prob be hunted less than any other day of the year) for coastal. Everything else is almost exactly the same.
Success.... I guess??? Not really.

Last edited: