Gobbling Report: What are you hearing?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This is where we can record the narrow limits of our own observations for that most wonderful sign of spring.
Yall go first. I wont hear one until tomorrow. :) I hope.
After the rain and cold I know I am ready to hear one, I hope they feel like talking.
Who's first?

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Two weeks ago I heard one gobble a few times. Scotland county none gobbling at the house yet that is Hoke County.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I can't get over the obscene amount of hard gobbling by those 5 toms at my crow calls and decoys back on that frigid morning in January....

I'll be going out to listen in a couple weeks....

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I listened Sunday morning. Saw nine hens fly down. Heard them talking. Never heard any gobbling. Shortly after daylight I got pictures of gobblers on a nearby camera. Not sure where they were roosted, but I think I would have heard them gobble if they did.

I have been seeing a lot of strutting, though.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spring is a little late this year. I think the weatherman said nature was 17 days later than last year given the differences in February temps. I know the Bradford pears haven't even started here, and the crappie are well behind schedule. Turkeys are not hitting the fields much yet, but these warm sunny days ought to get things rolling pretty soon.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Spring is a little late this year. I think the weatherman said nature was 17 days later than last year given the differences in February temps. I know the Bradford pears haven't even started here, and the crappie are well behind schedule. Turkeys are not hitting the fields much yet, but these warm sunny days ought to get things rolling pretty soon.
I'm with you we are s just starting to see my yard birds they are two weeks behind their normal schedule

TH80

Eight Pointer
I haven’t been out to listen yet but I’ve been seeing plenty around our shop in Nash county. I’ve been seeing anywhere between 10-20 in one field and haven’t seen one strutting yet and I’m at work early enough to hear them gobble but haven’t heard the first one yet this year

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I saw four toms courting two hens on the green stuff at Biltmore on 26 this morning.
I holler in my cove every morning and haven't struck yet. I know they're here.
My dad has birds burning it up in Burke right now but its only early/late day action.

They aren't starving for the poon right now, but they'd be easy to kill if season was open.
Round 4/20 I'd rather hunt at 11 than 6.... A 2 at 10pm can look like a 10 at 2am........

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I saw four toms courting two hens on the green stuff at Biltmore on 26 this morning.
I holler in my cove every morning and haven't struck yet. I know they're here.
My dad has birds burning it up in Burke right now but its only early/late day action.

They aren't starving for the poon right now, but they'd be easy to kill if season was open.
Round 4/20 I'd rather hunt at 11 than 6.... A 2 at 10pm can look like a 10 at 2am........

Now, how is that for a metaphysical linguistic palindrome???

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
2 different flocks seen from the truck this morning. Both had strutters. Alamance and Person.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Ordered me a new Turkey vest.. supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Plan to listen for gobbling in Va Saturday But might be a little early... then again they were gobbling last year this time and it was 18 degrees