Weird Gameland Stuff

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I’m sure many of us have ran into odd things on the Gamelands, as a matter of fact, I think I remember a thread where someone had snapped pictures of an area on...maybe Jordan, where the homeless had taken up.

Well my son went and scouted a piece fairly local to us yesterday, when he got home from that trip, I was shocked at what he told me. He walked 1.5 miles in and it was time to turn around, and on his way out he spotted something between 2 trees about 15 to 20 feet up. It was a blue tarp like thing that was rigged up like a hammock......and someone was in it. I was hoping to see some pictures, but I believe it kinda freaked him out and he just headed for the road.

So I was wondering if anyone has seen that before, or something weird like that?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was hunting in DuPont State Forest years ago and had a couple of old “dirty hippies” walk right under my stand. They were talking loud, and making a ton of noise shuffling through the leaves. Bout 10 minutes after they got out of sight, but not out of hearing, a doe comes easing out from the direction they came from. I drew a bead on her and let my .300 holler. Before I had time to even work the bolt, here they come back, running like their asses were on fire.... minus a fair bit of clothes.

I have no idea what they were up to, and don’t really care to think too hard on it.

DuPont was always good for “unusual” sights. Saw a couple of dudes dressed like My Little Ponies, with glitter, rainbow colored hair and all, on the Corn Mill Shoals trail one time.

Another time I ran into a some skinny white dude walking whole “harem” of BIG black ladies on leashes on Sheep Mountain.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw a tent set up about 50 yds from a parking area on Jordan GLs Saturday. A few minutes later, a couple of fellas who were not from around here came out the trail with small caliber rifles, blaze orange headgear and wearing crocks with no socks. Do not know if they were the tent inhabitants or not but they put their guns in the trunk of a car and got in and left. This was late afternoon and I believe the car had been there all day.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I was hunting in DuPont State Forest years ago and had a couple of old “dirty hippies” walk right under my stand. They were talking loud, and making a ton of noise shuffling through the leaves. Bout 10 minutes after they got out of sight, but not out of hearing, a doe comes easing out from the direction they came from. I drew a bead on her and let my .300 holler. Before I had time to even work the bolt, here they come back, running like their asses were on fire.... minus a fair bit of clothes.

I have no idea what they were up to, and don’t really care to think too hard on it.

DuPont was always good for “unusual” sights. Saw a couple of dudes dressed like My Little Ponies, with glitter, rainbow colored hair and all, on the Corn Mill Shoals trail one time.

Another time I ran into a some skinny white dude walking whole “harem” of BIG black ladies on leashes on Sheep Mountain.
What the 💩?? 🥴🤪

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a tent set up about 50 yds from a parking area on Jordan GLs Saturday. A few minutes later, a couple of fellas who were not from around here came out the trail with small caliber rifles, blaze orange headgear and wearing crocks with no socks. Do not know if they were the tent inhabitants or not but they put their guns in the trunk of a car and got in and left. This was late afternoon and I believe the car had been there all day.
Sounds like some BHA members. We’re they drinking IPAS and driving a Subyruby?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Public gamelands attract the.... " Public "
Unfortunately.
Another reason why I gave up trying to hunt any gameland after 1999.
2 dumbasses came up on me with guns drawn to my turkey calling on Parkers creek in Harnett County what use to be part of the Chatham gameland. I literally had to bury myself in leaves and hide and wait till they left.

Last edited:

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
found some teenagers “love shack” one time, or at least that what I think it was. Makeshift fort with condom wrappers nailed on one of the posts

Nothing shows romance like taking a young lady back to something like that LOL

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
I hunted bragg a lot when I was younger. Man the crap I seen out there I could write a book lol. Nothing will make your heart skip a beat like hunting near the impact range walking to climb a tree and hear the zing of your pants hitting the metal fin of what you hope isn’t uxo.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
reading these are great! Makes me very thankful to have the opportunities I've had.

No good hunting stories though. . .

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
Where I used to hunt in Craven and Carteret Counties, it was not unusual to find old moonshine stills that revenuers had busted up. Got close to one that was working one day and very quietly slipped away.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Used rubbers , sex toys, television graveyards, creepy dolls way out in the middle of nowhere...ya know...nothing out of the ordinary. In regards to @pcbuckhunter ...when I worked for state parks we had My Little Bronies and an assortment of folks who dressed like animals and went in the woods to ....uh....mate? The worst was the dude that dressed like a chick with a sundress. Apparently went up to more than one male visitor saying he wanted to show off his pretty 🐈 and then whipped out the twig n berries. Eventually someone beat him down pretty good and he slithered back to lower elevations.

• Wow
Reactions: DRS

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Used rubbers , sex toys, television graveyards, creepy dolls way out in the middle of nowhere...ya know...nothing out of the ordinary. In regards to @pcbuckhunter ...when I worked for state parks we had My Little Bronies and an assortment of folks who dressed like animals and went in the woods to ....uh....mate? The worst was the dude that dressed like a chick with a sundress. Apparently went up to more than one male visitor saying he wanted to show off his pretty 🐈 and then whipped out the twig n berries. Eventually someone beat him down pretty good and he slithered back to lower elevations.
There are some real “eccentric” folks out there. That’s for sure

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Once it gets warm and the leaves come out the nudies around ALL of the lakes seem to come out. Must be something about a lake and being naked that puts them into rut.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Apparently I’ve been pretty sheltered. I only hunt our family farms here in Wayne county and have only come across a freak or two on our farms but I can’t imagine folks dressed up like animals doing crazy stuff in the woods. I did catch some weirdo fishing in one of our ponds year before last naked. It was about 55*(I was a little chilly). His truck was parked across the ditch on a neighboring landowners land. I put my coat and face mask on, grabbed my gun and slipped over to the pond bank. He was standing in 4-6” of water wearing a pair of green rubber boots and nothing else holding a fishing rod. He could hear my approach but I don’t think he could see me because he looked all over that pond bank but never made eye contact and never looked directly at me. I shouted out who gave you permission to fish here and he jumped and said no one. I watched him step out of one boot, slip his foot through his pants and back into the boot in one fluid motion while high tailing it to his truck. He sped out of there pretty quick.

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer

Sounds like they came straight from Wally-World, or were going there.

Lee

Six Pointer
I took my pre-teen son on one of his first real backpacking trips to the Wilson Creek area. We parked up high and hiked down following a well known trail along a creek. As we were nearing the lower cascades we rounded a corner and were faced with a large group of App State students swimming nude and sun bathing. To say he was impressed with backpacking would be the understatement of the year.

Once I drug him away and down the trail, I explained not every trip had such great scenery and that if he told his Mom about it neither one of us would be backpacking again. Needless to say he was disappointed with every trip after that

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
I hunted bragg a lot when I was younger. Man the crap I seen out there I could write a book lol. Nothing will make your heart skip a beat like hunting near the impact range walking to climb a tree and hear the zing of your pants hitting the metal fin of what you hope isn’t uxo.
The last time I ventured into an area at Bragg that I wasn't supposed to be in, I accidentally tripped on an unexploded mortar round with the fins sticking out of the ground between clumps of wiregrass. As I said, that was the LAST time I went in there. Plenty of previous times I'd tiptoed around 155's and cluster bombs. Lucky I didn't get my rear end blown up. Young and dumb.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Ive seen some down right raw stuff take place in a spot i used to hunt. Some of it was twisted, and some of it was down right funny. About the only thing that's worth mentioning that's nchf safe was a hippie girl walking through the woods with a 4lb rubber forearm that was 2 feet long🤣😳🤜

Last edited:

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I was cruising timber on a military base (Camp Lejeune) when a couple of guys with rifles, some type of AR style, raised up out of a hole in the ground and said "Halt". Oh yeah, they pointed those rifles directly at me. They were doing some type of maneuvers and actually took me to their commanding officer. After some time and several phone calls the commanding officer said "OK, your good. You can continue just watch out for our guys." I said "Thanks, but if you can get me back to my truck you fellows will not have to worry about me anymore!"

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
About 15 years ago, I was hunting a piece of gameland close to my house. A powerline runs thru most of it, which folks have always tore up with trucks and ATV's. I'd walked about 1/2 mile down the powerline and come up on 3 fellas taking fenders and bumpers off a brand new Chevrolet truck. They told me it was their buddies truck, and he was tired of making payments on it😂, they then asked me if I needed any parts😂😂. I went on to my spot and hunted, when I got home I called the forestry service .

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Most odd thing I ever saw was on Pond Mtn Game land. It was after dark and I was sitting in the bed of my truck, drinking a beer and making my plan for the next morning hunt. Suddenly, this van comes speeding up to the parking area. A guy jumps out, climbs on the roof of his van, stands there for a second with his hands on his hips and then starts howling like a wolf!! He does this for about 10 seconds. Then he gets down, jumps in his van and takes off back down the road.