Winston-Salem Therapists Also Need Therapists

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s definitely a complex thing for me. I enjoyed yalls varied perspectives. I’ve got more experience with this than I’d like to admit. Had stuff happen to me as a kid , and saw a lot in the streets as a young adult, that was definitely therapist worthy. As a kid I never opened up bc I didn’t want my family to blame themselves for what happened so I kept it a secret for almost 20 years. There were plenty that I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw. But also a few good ones along the way. The concept of personal responsibility was the game changer for me. I got so used to hearing “it’s not your fault” that it kinda conditioned me to view all my challenges that way and point the finger in any situation that didn’t work out for me. It wasn’t until I was going to a lady at some hole in the wall for $10 a session that I heard what I needed to hear. She was the first one to tell me that what happened to me wasn’t gonna ever change and I needed to start focusing on the stuff I could change...in every situation. Sounds simple but I’d been to so many folks that wanted to diagnose and rehash all the trauma and talk about feelings that I kinda missed the action part. That led me down here, which led me to the outdoors, which led me to knowing God. A previous poster mentioned the breakdown of the family unit. That’s spot on in my experience. Every single person I personally know that is strung out, violent, in prison or dead has family dynamics that would make you cringe. I was fortunate in the fact that when I got better, it helped my family move on and deal with their own stuff instead of being burdened by me. All that being said, there’s a couple therapists from my past that I wouldn’t go to again if they paid me to be there. I don’t see anyone anymore and don’t feel the need to. I find “therapy” in the woods or on the water. I surround myself with people I trust to talk about anything and everything with. There’s members of the church I can talk to. And I try to help others cuz that’s a good way to put your own problems into perspective. Mom works with abused and neglected kids now and I’ve seen her age 20 years in the last 5. She made the comment that she’s so busy listening to and trying to protect these kids, she often forgets that she needs to take care of herself. But I don’t take offense to the OP though. I guarantee some of the therapists hiring their own therapists are doing it for the novelty of it. Some people view having baggage and diagnoses as some kinda absolution cuz they think it provides them and others with excuses for why life doesn’t go their way
I wish you'd share that in more than just this forum. You'd help more people than you'd ever know.
At least those that would listen.
Some people are just fine with status quo as long as they don't need to accept blame in any way.

CarolinaReaper

It’s definitely a complex thing for me. I enjoyed yalls varied perspectives. I’ve got more experience with this than I’d like to admit. Had stuff happen to me as a kid , and saw a lot in the streets as a young adult, that was definitely therapist worthy. As a kid I never opened up bc I didn’t want my family to blame themselves for what happened so I kept it a secret for almost 20 years. There were plenty that I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw. But also a few good ones along the way. The concept of personal responsibility was the game changer for me. I got so used to hearing “it’s not your fault” that it kinda conditioned me to view all my challenges that way and point the finger in any situation that didn’t work out for me. It wasn’t until I was going to a lady at some hole in the wall for $10 a session that I heard what I needed to hear. She was the first one to tell me that what happened to me wasn’t gonna ever change and I needed to start focusing on the stuff I could change...in every situation. Sounds simple but I’d been to so many folks that wanted to diagnose and rehash all the trauma and talk about feelings that I kinda missed the action part. That led me down here, which led me to the outdoors, which led me to knowing God. A previous poster mentioned the breakdown of the family unit. That’s spot on in my experience. Every single person I personally know that is strung out, violent, in prison or dead has family dynamics that would make you cringe. I was fortunate in the fact that when I got better, it helped my family move on and deal with their own stuff instead of being burdened by me. All that being said, there’s a couple therapists from my past that I wouldn’t go to again if they paid me to be there. I don’t see anyone anymore and don’t feel the need to. I find “therapy” in the woods or on the water. I surround myself with people I trust to talk about anything and everything with. There’s members of the church I can talk to. And I try to help others cuz that’s a good way to put your own problems into perspective. Mom works with abused and neglected kids now and I’ve seen her age 20 years in the last 5. She made the comment that she’s so busy listening to and trying to protect these kids, she often forgets that she needs to take care of herself. But I don’t take offense to the OP though. I guarantee some of the therapists hiring their own therapists are doing it for the novelty of it. Some people view having baggage and diagnoses as some kinda absolution cuz they think it provides them and others with excuses for why life doesn’t go their way

Appreciate you sharing this Yancey. Good food for thought.

CarolinaReaper

Guys I just wanna reiterate here, I am not in any way denigrating anyone who needs and seeks out therapy as a form of healing for mental health issues. It has it's place in society. I think we all, to a degree, exercise some sort of "therapy" each and every day. Whether it be you venting to your wife/gf or calling your parents or friends. Hell, to most of us this forum is a particular form of therapy. We can come on here and rant and rave about stuff, discuss topics that we don't usually do so with anyone else. I myself have made several posts to just vent a little, like a lot of you have. It helps. No doubt. Think about it. We have a small community here with people that most of the rest of the world has no idea exists, and yet, to us, it's a really important place to be. To me as well. And I cherish everything I read and learn here.

But, for some members to tell me or anyone of us how we should be feeling or acting or to flat say you don't have a clue of what you're talking about is an absurdly arrogant position to take on someone you know little to nothing about. That's why I would never proceed to tell someone how they should be living or feeling. I don't have a clue what you're going through or how you're living or vice versa. I made this thread in a joking fashion. Not in regards to mental health disorders, or people who GENUINELY need and seek out help. But come on, it's freaking THERAPISTS seeking help from other THERAPISTS. That's at least gotta be a little funny to some of us. That's what pushed me to even post about it. Not to make some snarky remarks about people getting help.

Also, I can't really get a grip on the temperature of this forum sometimes. The same folks dishing out insults and personal jabs are the same ones who revolt at similar material, just of a different taste. Like how some of you are taking personal jabs at me for being a sally or joking about me being a wussy, because I got a hotel room in the storm, but then turn around and defend therapists seeking help from therapists. Or the same group of guys that are calling me out that claim to be grizzly adams also revolted against me in a thread defending the rights of young boys who wanted to be a ballerina. (Not that I wanna open that damn can of worms again.)

It's just a little wishy washy for me sometimes. Y'all dish out jabs and a little trash talk here and there, but then proceed to tell me to "lighten up" etc when I do similar things on here. Or take shots at me personally and act like it's no big deal. Mind you, I don't care, it's all in good fun. Or at least, I think it is. But to do similar things as I am doing and then stand on a pedestal and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or cast me with comments in a negative light about a post I clearly made in a comical fashion is nothing short of bs.

But regardless, I'm glad I'm here either way.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not in regards to mental health disorders, or people who GENUINELY need and seek out help. But come on, it's freaking THERAPISTS seeking help from other THERAPISTS. T

1. Not for you or me to decide who genuinely needs help or who they seek that help from. That’s an individual decision.

2.Good for them to seeking help and not committing suicide or becoming an addict or beating their spouse...etc.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
done both, still not fixed, but I'm trying .

1st...glad you recognized/realized you may benefit from seeing someone with training/education and experience. To me, seeking help is a sign of strength. Keep going if you still are. But if you feel like you are not seeing any progress, tell the therapist and ask if they can refer you to someone else. If they are a professional, they should not be offended and make a referal. 👍👍

CarolinaReaper

1. Not for you or me to decide who genuinely needs help or who they seek that help from. That’s an individual decision.

2.Good for them to seeking help and not committing suicide or becoming an addict or beating their spouse...etc.

Agreed on both points. As I said, nothing wrong with seeking help. That's not what I was trying to say here.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Guys I just wanna reiterate here, I am not in any way denigrating anyone who needs and seeks out therapy as a form of healing for mental health issues. It has it's place in society. I think we all, to a degree, exercise some sort of "therapy" each and every day. Whether it be you venting to your wife/gf or calling your parents or friends. Hell, to most of us this forum is a particular form of therapy. We can come on here and rant and rave about stuff, discuss topics that we don't usually do so with anyone else. I myself have made several posts to just vent a little, like a lot of you have. It helps. No doubt. Think about it. We have a small community here with people that most of the rest of the world has no idea exists, and yet, to us, it's a really important place to be. To me as well. And I cherish everything I read and learn here.

But, for some members to tell me or anyone of us how we should be feeling or acting or to flat say you don't have a clue of what you're talking about is an absurdly arrogant position to take on someone you know little to nothing about. That's why I would never proceed to tell someone how they should be living or feeling. I don't have a clue what you're going through or how you're living or vice versa. I made this thread in a joking fashion. Not in regards to mental health disorders, or people who GENUINELY need and seek out help. But come on, it's freaking THERAPISTS seeking help from other THERAPISTS. That's at least gotta be a little funny to some of us. That's what pushed me to even post about it. Not to make some snarky remarks about people getting help.

Also, I can't really get a grip on the temperature of this forum sometimes. The same folks dishing out insults and personal jabs are the same ones who revolt at similar material, just of a different taste. Like how some of you are taking personal jabs at me for being a sally or joking about me being a wussy, because I got a hotel room in the storm, but then turn around and defend therapists seeking help from therapists. Or the same group of guys that are calling me out that claim to be grizzly adams also revolted against me in a thread defending the rights of young boys who wanted to be a ballerina. (Not that I wanna open that damn can of worms again.)

It's just a little wishy washy for me sometimes. Y'all dish out jabs and a little trash talk here and there, but then proceed to tell me to "lighten up" etc when I do similar things on here. Or take shots at me personally and act like it's no big deal. Mind you, I don't care, it's all in good fun. Or at least, I think it is. But to do similar things as I am doing and then stand on a pedestal and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or cast me with comments in a negative light about a post I clearly made in a comical fashion is nothing short of bs.

But regardless, I'm glad I'm here either way.

The reason you’re struggling to gauge the temp here is because you lack wisdom. You need to grow up. And that takes having conversations with folks who are grown in understanding and experience, on both sides of whatever perspective you’re trying to gain. Not just posting regurgitative opinions based on YouTube videos and news articles that make you feel fuzzy. Learn to think through something before pontificating on social media about it. If you’d spend half the time you do posting thinking critically about things, you’d be way better off and catch way less flack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
But, for some members to tell me or anyone of us how we should be feeling or acting or to flat say you don't have a clue of what you're talking about is an absurdly arrogant position to take on someone you know little to nothing about.

Just found this article checking out local news websites. I don't know why, but reading the title made me laugh. I mean, the pandemic is apparently so bad, even our therapists need their own therapists.

Read both of these quotes. You mock people you know little to nothing about, curious if that makes you absurdly arrogant?

Last edited:

CarolinaReaper

Read both of these quotes. You mock people you no little to nothing about, curious if that makes you absurdly arrogant?

Yes, to a degree sometimes I suppose, I can be arrogant. But I don't try and present myself as some all knowing and wise entity like some members do. Age does not always equal intelligence. At least I admit it that I can be one of those people sometimes. Some of y'all throw stones and act like it's a sin for someone to toss a few back. It's the trash talk double standard on this forum that irritates me the most. The same people telling me to grow up are the same ones calling me a wimp. Flat makes no sense. Then when any form of retort is attempted, I need to be quiet and think critically. Give me a break.

If someone out in public called you a dumb-ass to your face, do you think you'd react with, "hmm, how can I calmly and critically think this through so that I can defend myself without stooping to this peasants level."

Or do you think you'd tell the guy to F off and walk away?

Last edited by a moderator:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I wish you'd share that in more than just this forum. You'd help more people than you'd ever know.
At least those that would listen.
Some people are just fine with status quo as long as they don't need to accept blame in any way.
I definitely do, Eric. I try to pick my battles wisely though. I used to talk VERY openly about stuff from the past to anyone who’d listen. But I finally realized using discretion is important, especially in the working world , etc. Now I try to just stay tuned into to folks as best I can, let people get to know me(and trust me) and take it from there. Also have accepted I’m not Superman either lol. Sometimes I might have the exact message that someone needs to hear, but that doesn’t mean I’m the right messenger . But in regards to becoming an outdoorsman , I’ll gladly let folks know it literally saved my life and helped me learn who I was/who I am/who I want to be. Honestly a lot of y’all on the forum have been examples of that. There’s a lot of people on here that have been thru the wringer and came out on top, or are well on their way. Thanks for the kind words

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I suppose you don't have any shrinks for shrinks at Walkabout Creek?

Nah - - back there, if you got a problem, you tell Wally. And he tells everyone in town... brings it out in the open... no more problem.
Nor in or along Jack's Branch or the Raft Swamp or the White Oak Branch or the Holy Swamp. That's where I learned to deal with life.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have my own theories about why we have the mental issues we have today, and they are deeply rooted in the laws of nature and survival of the fittest.. the further we get away from that concept the weaker we as a species become, but that is a different topic all together..

As for Therapist needing therapist... if my house catches fire, I am calling the fire department, even though I am trained and capable.. there are some things one just cannot control by themselves.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have my own theories about why we have the mental issues we have today, and they are deeply rooted in the laws of nature and survival of the fittest.. the further we get away from that concept the weaker we as a species become, but that is a different topic all together..

As for Therapist needing therapist... if my house catches fire, I am calling the fire department, even though I am trained and capable.. there are some things one just cannot control by themselves.
Once your house is on fire to the point where you need to call the professionals is one thing, preventing the house from catching on fire is something we all should do, and if we recognize that the fire is something that we can control then we need to control it. Waiting for a professional to keep the house from burning down while doing nothing to prevent it is our own fault, we have to accept the blame if there was a way to prevent it.
Recognizing our own faults isn't the same thing as accepting them, we have to recognize that we need to work on something, then work on it, for anything to get done. Simply going to a professional and waiting on them to diagnose and treat is like sitting at home waiting on the fire to envelop your house while waiting on the fire dept to arrive.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
man, some of you folks need some anger management therapy for sure.🙄

there are a small handful here that just attack certain people for ANYTHING they post. GROW UP. if you don't like someone, don't post. You are not offering anything, just making noise. You sound like children.

as far a therapy goes. This thread is therapy. He had a question in his head and he asked it. So bashing someone's question about therapists is comical.

Personally, most therapists were needing therapy before they got to college. Took the courses to figure out themselves more then anything.😄
Kinda like a Male gynecologist. Couldn't get it in HS. 😁
But they are not all bad. Everyone needs to vent now and then. Some need direction. But we are all f'd up in some way shape or form.

I think the biggest misunderstanding in life is that people think they DESERVE things. And the powers to be like them to think that way.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
A few observations:

Just because you don't understand something does not make it false. The notion that one can self diagnose mental illness with any regularity or accuracy...unrealistic. The ability to take the aforementioned self-diagnosis and develop an unbiased, effective treatment plan for oneself...laughable. The thought that those who provide mental health guidance are immune to mental health issues...ignorant. The continued stigmatization of mental health and wellness practices...downright dangerous.

Much of the stigma around the mental / behavorial sciences comes from the dated notion that these are soft sciences. With the advances in neurological mapping and the ability to map responses and brain chemistry in real time, this is no longer the case. This isn't witchcraft or voodoo, it's science.

You can't hike, hunt, fish, pray, mental illness away. It's solely preventative maintenance.

A true snowflake isn't someone who seeks help when in need...a snowflake is someone who would care so much about what others think, they won't seek the help they need. If you are worried about others thinking you are weak...you already are.

The incontrovertible truth: Scientology does not condone the Neuro or Behavioral science fields...that alone means they are concrete in my book!!! ;)

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Guys I just wanna reiterate here, I am not in any way denigrating anyone who needs and seeks out therapy as a form of healing for mental health issues.

That's good...no one should.(y)

But, for some members to tell me or anyone of us how we should be feeling or acting or to flat say you don't have a clue of what you're talking about is an absurdly arrogant position to take on someone you know little to nothing about. That's why I would never proceed to tell someone how they should be living or feeling. I don't have a clue what you're going through or how you're living or vice versa.

Now you're talking(y)

But come on, it's freaking THERAPISTS seeking help from other THERAPISTS. That's at least gotta be a little funny to some of us.

You started out so strong...:oops:

...who helps the snowflakes, snowflakes, snowflake? I mean, where does the damage end????
Winston Salem is one nutty place brother.

Ok I think I understand, so we aren't denigrating those seeking help...only those that are there to help, that may or may not be also seeking help, and then those that help those...right, okay. :rolleyes:

It's just a little wishy washy for me sometimes.

At least you're consistent!👏

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Once your house is on fire to the point where you need to call the professionals is one thing, preventing the house from catching on fire is something we all should do, and if we recognize that the fire is something that we can control then we need to control it. Waiting for a professional to keep the house from burning down while doing nothing to prevent it is our own fault, we have to accept the blame if there was a way to prevent it.
Recognizing our own faults isn't the same thing as accepting them, we have to recognize that we need to work on something, then work on it, for anything to get done. Simply going to a professional and waiting on them to diagnose and treat is like sitting at home waiting on the fire to envelop your house while waiting on the fire dept to arrive.
Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying people who, recognize they are overwhelmed, not dealing well, etc. should have done something to prevent them from getting there, or self treat first before seeking help?

I love a good debate, but that is not what I am trying to do here, I genuinely want to understand the point you are trying to make. My point was simply that you can't always solve for everything yourself, even if you are a trained professional in the field.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying people who, recognize they are overwhelmed, not dealing well, etc. should have done something to prevent them from getting there, or self treat first before seeking help?

I love a good debate, but that is not what I am trying to do here, I genuinely want to understand the point you are trying to make. My point was simply that you can't always solve for everything yourself, even if you are a trained professional in the field.
my point was to recognize that there's a problem before the problem itself becomes overwhelming.

CarolinaReaper

That's good...no one should.(y)

Now you're talking(y)

You started out so strong...:oops:

Ok I think I understand, so we aren't denigrating those seeking help...only those that are there to help, that may or may not be also seeking help, and then those that help those...right, okay. :rolleyes:

At least you're consistent!👏

Okay Snowflake.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
my point was to recognize that there's a problem before the problem itself becomes overwhelming.

Ok.. thanks. I guess the next question would be, when you recognize it, what can be done about it? Almost seems like a circular discussion, those with the ability to recognize it early and self correct are not really the folks who spend a lot of time with therapist.

Again I think a huge part of this extends from our weakening of our own species over time and as such I am not sure many in our society have the ability to recognize and adjust in time time, and many not at all.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok.. thanks. I guess the next question would be, when you recognize it, what can be done about it? Almost seems like a circular discussion, those with the ability to recognize it early and self correct are not really the folks who spend a lot of time with therapist.

Again I think a huge part of this extends from our weakening of our own species over time and as such I am not sure many in our society have the ability to recognize and adjust in time time, and many not at all.
Very true, we as a society spend much too much time internalizing things that we should be able to shrug off and not let it affect us one way or another. That is very much a sign of weakness and self doubt.
If we as a society practiced what we tend to preach about putting others before ourselves we wouldn't have all these self-focused type of issues, we wouldn't have time. Our time and our thoughts would be focused on doing good, educating ourselves on how to improve the world, not on all this "poor me" garbage.
I do understand burnout is a thing, I've been there when I used to work only inpatient and that's the reason I now do what I do. I knew when it was time to get out or go down with the ship.

CarolinaReaper

This thread was a joke. I am not saying that as a scapegoat. It was and is intended to be a lighthearted jab at the fact that professional therapists are seeking help from other professional therapists. If you can't see the slight comedy in that, I can't help you. I wasn't making fun of people who need help.

The conclusion I'v come to is this:

Between all the doctors, psychiatrists, politicians, lawyers, financial experts, stock gurus, military strategists, historians and hardcore survivalists that apparently call this forum home, odds are good that any one post will inevitably piss someone off, regardless of the topic or the manner it was depicted in. Having said that, I'm just gonna go about my day and post whatever I feel like and discuss whatever I feel like, while following forum rules mind you. If it interests me and I think it will be a good talking topic, I will post about it. If I find it a little funny and think someone else would too, I'm gonna post about it. If what I or anyone else is posting offends your delicate sensibility, look elsewhere. Don't read it or if it's so horrendous to you, ignore us. Most of us are here because we can openly discuss topics with like-minded people without the threat of censorship. We don't have many places like it. Conservative voices are muzzled nearly everywhere now. So I for one am not going to stifle my voice here simply to appease a few members from getting offended.

Sorry not sorry. Have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
This thread was a joke. I am not saying that as a scapegoat. It was and is intended to be a lighthearted jab at the fact that professional therapists are seeking help from other professional therapists. If you can't see the slight comedy in that, I can't help you. I wasn't making fun of people who need help.

The conclusion I'v come to is this:

Between all the doctors, psychiatrists, lawyers, financial experts, stock gurus, military strategists, historians and hardcore survivalists that apparently call this forum home, odds are good that any one post will inevitably piss someone off, regardless of the topic or the manner it was depicted in. Having said that, I'm just gonna go about my day and post whatever I feel like and discuss whatever I feel like, while following forum rules mind you. If it interests me and I think it will be a good talking topic, I will post about it. If I find it a little funny and think someone else would too, I'm gonna post about it. If what I or anyone else is posting offends your delicate sensibility, look elsewhere. Don't read it or if it's so horrendous to you, ignore us. Most of us are here because we can openly discuss topics with like-minded people without the threat of censorship. We don't have many places like it. Conservative voices are muzzled nearly everywhere now. So I for one am not going to stifle my voice here simply to appease a few members from getting offended.

Sport, you spend way too much time on the internet.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
If you can't see the slight comedy in that, I can't help you.

If I find it a little funny and think someone else would too, I'm gonna post about it. If what I or anyone else is posting offends your delicate sensibility, look elsewhere.

Most of us are here because we can openly discuss topics with like-minded people without the threat of censorship.

Conservative voices are muzzled nearly everywhere now. So I for one am not going to stifle my voice here simply to appease a few members from getting offended.

Identifying an ignorant statement is not censorship. Making jokes regarding mental health is not the voice of conservatism. While you and I, and many other members here likely vote quite similarly, don't mistake that for an echo chamber.

As much as you post, you will invariably find yourself in a minority again on a topic...being in a group of relatively like-minded individuals, you shouldn't take offense to a differing of opinions. Take it as an opportunity to think more deeply on your stance.

I haven't seen anyone looking for an apology, but you might want to consider why you have so many posts in this thread attempting to explain why you think it is funny.

Have a good one.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not in the mental health industry, but my wife is a provider. I get a front row seat to the burden that mental health professionals bear. She is a Developmental Psychologist. On any given day she may have to deliver the news to a parent that their toddler is almost certainly going to need intensive care for the rest of their life; she may develop a intervention plan that will likely determine if a child will become a productive member of society, or potentially require some form of care for much of their life; or she is working with a young child that has been physically abused since the age of four; or possibly a young girl who is self mutilating and near suicide due to childhood sexual abuse.

She is superwoman. I don't know how she does it. She is shouldering the burden of not only her life, but all of the lives she encounters in her work day. That is a lot for anyone. So to think they may need their own support system whether professional or not, it's not a surprise...no more than a Dentist seeking another Dentist for dental work as opposed to trying to do it in the mirror.

Last edited:

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hope none of you follow the
Laughter is the best medicine thread,
🙄🙄🙄
The OP gets ribbed because he rarely posts in any threads that aren’t controversial or political,

He has also had several accounts on this forum and has had accounts banned in the past.