Countdown begins

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Missed fishing this week as I'm in the middle of 84hrs in 7 days work week but co-worker just fished the commons yesterday evening and caught 33.
😄 figures. I stopped in around noon and made a few casts with nothing. I may have to make another trip later on today.
thanks for the update.

I have fished a couple times the last week or so near the dog park. 3 to 5 fish most trips. With one being big and fat. 😁 They seem to be running g large this year. I've only caught one really small one.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
😄 figures. I stopped in around noon and made a few casts with nothing. I may have to make another trip later on today.
thanks for the update.

I have fished a couple times the last week or so near the dog park. 3 to 5 fish most trips. With one being big and fat. 😁 They seem to be running g large this year. I've only caught one really small one.

Yeah they have been decent sized. My average has been around 16 inches.

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
I have never fished the Tar River only the Roanoke. Can someone tell me where to launch the boat and a general recommendation as to heading upstream or downstream. What type of depth is the Tar? Rocky?

Coming from Johnston County if that matters. Thanks.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I have never fished the Tar River only the Roanoke. Can someone tell me where to launch the boat and a general recommendation as to heading upstream or downstream. What type of depth is the Tar? Rocky?

Port terminal road has a wildlife ramp. Depending on what kind of fishing you're doing matter where to go.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to socially distance Myself by fishing at Falkland for some Shad for a little while see what we get today

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Fish werent biting. No hits in an hour of fishing. Either they've moved on or had lockjaw
plan on heading out tomorrow finally. Friend went yesterday. started with no fish till a guy gave him a green twister, then he started catching. go figure.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Little used ramp on 258 North just outside Princeville. If I had a boat, this is where I would go right now. Thinking of going there today just to bank fish.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Hoping water levels stay below flood stage for the shad run. Last 2 years we had major floodong that took up a couple weeks of the run.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’m intrigued(just took me a year to remember to answer 🤣). How y’all like to eat em ?

well @nccatfisher prefers to eat them as catfish (after using shad as bait),,,, or pickled,,, he does like that 🦆

I like shad roe (seasoned and sautéed),, I like shad pickled like herring,,, and I know some folks fry them (not for me),,, they'd likely do well smoked (oily) but the little bones would be aggravating,,, but I may try that this year,,,

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
it has been running a bit high🤣
I hope we get a good run. They are a ton of fun to catch.
Wouldn't mind meeting up with some folks once they start running. Usually fish town commons or the greenway in Greenville.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
well @nccatfisher prefers to eat them as catfish (after using shad as bait),,,, or pickled,,, he does like that 🦆

I like shad roe (seasoned and sautéed),, I like shad pickled like herring,,, and I know some folks fry them (not for me),,, they'd likely do well smoked (oily) but the little bones would be aggravating,,, but I may try that this year,,,
my employee smoked some last year and it was good. bones are not bad to pull out once smoked.
Ten four. Smoked or pickled would be right up my alley thanks!

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ten four. Smoked or pickled would be right up my alley thanks!
he smoked a bunch of sea mullet at the same time. I was ALL good. I gave him a wood smoker I had that I was not using after trying his smoked fish.😄

I used to smoke a ton of stuff on a cheap electric cylinder smoker years ago. I couldn't get equal heat temps with the wood one and gave up. He has it dialed in and shares😋😋😋

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
he smoked a bunch of sea mullet at the same time. I was ALL good. I gave him a wood smoker I had that I was not using after trying his smoked fish.😄

I used to smoke a ton of stuff on a cheap electric cylinder smoker years ago. I couldn't get equal heat temps with the wood one and gave up. He has it dialed in and shares😋😋😋
Sounds good Dick. We went from a refurbished traditional wood/charcoal smoker to a high end pellet smoker we received as a wedding gift. At first I felt like I was cheating but being able to be more accurate with temps has been a game changer. Beef, fish, shellfish, bear, pork, poultry, hot peppers, other veggies, etc. Been enjoying it

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds good Dick. We went from a refurbished traditional wood/charcoal smoker to a high end pellet smoker we received as a wedding gift. At first I felt like I was cheating but being able to be more accurate with temps has been a game changer. Beef, fish, shellfish, bear, pork, poultry, hot peppers, other veggies, etc. Been enjoying it
when's dinner?😁

I vote for a spring shad fishing/cookout sometime this year(if possible) be nice to meet some people in my area and argue in person.🤣

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
when's dinner?😁

I vote for a spring shad fishing/cookout sometime this year(if possible) be nice to meet some people in my area and argue in person.🤣
Lol me too. I’m way out here in Yancey county. I don’t know anyone out this way that fishes shad but I wouldn’t object to taking a ride one weekend

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
it has been running a bit high🤣
I hope we get a good run. They are a ton of fun to catch.
Wouldn't mind meeting up with some folks once they start running. Usually fish town commons or the greenway in Greenville.

Those are my go to spots as well d I'll eventually move up falkland as they move up.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
It's vinegar based. It should be just like pickled herring. Some of your higher end grocery stores will carry it in the fridge section. @woodmoose may have some other sources too. It's not for the faint of heart. A few pieces, a boiled potato, and a dollop of sour cream and your favorite malt beverage. A meal fit for a Viking. I think it would flat our kill a vegan as soon as you twisted the lid. :LOL:

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
It's vinegar based. It should be just like pickled herring. Some of your higher end grocery stores will carry it in the fridge section. @woodmoose may have some other sources too. It's not for the faint of heart. A few pieces, a boiled potato, and a dollop of sour cream and your favorite malt beverage. A meal fit for a Viking. I think it would flat our kill a vegan as soon as you twisted the lid. :LOL:
Yea that's funny,vegan repellent

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

I'm in ! 🤞 :party: