January rut...

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think we are having a January rut in my area. Couple days ago found a large, fresh scrape made within the last 24 hours (since the most recent rain). Then got a couple daytime pics of this big boy. Check out that body...

2021 Jan12 - Copy.JPG

2021 Jan12_2 - Copy.JPG

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Had 7 does chased out into the pasture by a little buck a few days ago maybe Saturday. Still seeing rubs showing up around my corn. The smaller bucks are hanging together now but older bucks still come around alone

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Mating can last for months and months .......when most say the rut you are actually speaking of a spike in the rut. There are several big spikes with biggest usually in mid nov. then 2 more but there are several spikes. I found a new scrape in the sandhills at Christmas. does can be bred any month from sept to feb and can be bred in other months as well..........

you can see here in Pa that does were bred from Oct to Feb. https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/WildlifeSpecies/White-tailedDeer/Pages/Whenistherut.aspx

Last edited:

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Found a fresh scrape Easter weekend about 2 years ago. FRESH, tracks and wet spot in the middle of it. Ask a GW and he said they will rut until all does are bred. A sign of too many does in the area.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Dang. Local farmer said he saw bucks chasing does in February last year. I thought he was pulling my chain.

Saw a BABY fawn August ‘19 but I figured I saw it wrong (was walking on the road, thought it was a dog at first). Guess that would line up to a very late rut...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes the January rut kicked into high gear the first week up at the Rock .

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
These are from today on a scouting trip in an undisclosed area lol

Attachments

• AF4A3E54-F378-4080-87B3-495B4EC49DE7.jpeg
    AF4A3E54-F378-4080-87B3-495B4EC49DE7.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 13
  • B7ECF770-9885-4C92-B238-56699FCD83E1.jpeg
    B7ECF770-9885-4C92-B238-56699FCD83E1.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 13