Rifle and Scope combo

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Looking for some advice or suggestions for a co worker , he is headed to Idaho to hunt mule deer and has drove me nuts over it , gun calibers and scopes , Etc can any of you fellas or even ladies that have more experience shooting long range and knowledge of equipment give some suggestions thanks

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Looking for some advice or suggestions for a co worker , he is headed to Idaho to hunt mule deer and has drove me nuts over it , gun calibers and scopes , Etc can any of you fellas or even ladies that have more experience shooting long range and knowledge of equipment give some suggestions thanks

Not the person to ask, but I’d ask him if he’s maxing out his current set-up, assuming he has one. If he’s not comfortably shooting 250yds + (random number) here then what makes him think he needs something that will poke further?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
he is headed to Idaho to hunt mule deer and has drove me nuts over it , gun calibers and scopes

I've hunted Idaho,,,and other Western states

I mainly used Betsy,,,my 7mm Mag with a fixed 6x Leopold scope,,

folks kill muleys with most any "deer rifle" from 25-35 to 338 win mag and beyond

just like whiteltails, it depends where you are hunting them and how,,,

a generic "what's the best gun caliber and scope for mule deer" with get thousands of varying opinions,,,, all right or wrong for a particular use instance,,,,

I wish him luck in his hunt

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every one of these threads make me chuckle. I think back to what the locals used to say about "foreigners" and their choice of calibers for western game. I had a friend that moved to Wyoming and he later on became a local. I got to go with them a few times. I saw more .243s and .270s used on deer and elk than anything. Of course everything I carried back then, there and here had a belt around the case so they got to poke fun at me also.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Every one of these threads make me chuckle. I think back to what the locals used to say about "foreigners" and their choice of calibers for western game. I had a friend that moved to Wyoming and he later on became a local. I got to go with them a few times. I saw more .243s and .270s used on deer and elk than anything. Of course everything I carried back then, there and here had a belt around the case so they got to poke fun at me also.

if I ever go my 270 will be going with me. you take what you are used to and can shoot. If all I had was a 30-30 I would take it if I didnt have no longer than 6 mos to practice with it.

You were probably very well acquainted with the gun you took so that is all I can tell the poster on this. he needs to take what he can shoot well whether it is a 243 or a 300 mag.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I lived (and even did a lil guiding) in Idaho for 7 years and killed deer, elk and bears with
257 Ackley (think 25-06)
7x57 (think 7mm-08)
280 Rem
30-06
41 Magnum revolver (used the most)

Whatever he chooses he better PRACTICE with it.
Heavy recoiling rifles are not pleasant to practice with, for many, so choose wisely.

Its all about WHERE you put the lead. Bigger is NOT better IME.

I built more custom 270's and 280's than anything while gunsmithing out there.
The 3 largest elk i ever saw kilt were shot with a 243, and that guy drove tacks with it, hitting them in the neck every time.
One of my neighbors had 5 folks in that family that hunted and all used 308 Winchesters and bagged everything including moose. They all practiced, year round, bout once/mo or 2, out to 500 yds and were deadly.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
It's been said a few times but bears repeating again.

Being proficient at longer ( read /heed ) ranges with 250 on the short end and 450 on the longer end.

That's way more important than the caliber.

Scope ?

With today's technology I'd say Leupold , Meopta , Burris , upper end scopes would work.

Most importantly though practice , practice , and more practice.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Depends on state law. I’m very proficient with a small caliber rifle and feel really confident in shooting it and what the limitations are.
I feel no pleasure in big calibers. Recoil and expensive practice isn’t for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If he’s got money burning a hole in his pocket.......308/7mag...... but like others have said ...... better buy it and start getting cozy with it....... figure out where his limits are..... they are driven by the shooter not the gun in most cases.....

darenative

Twelve Pointer
if I ever go my 270 will be going with me. you take what you are used to and can shoot. If all I had was a 30-30 I would take it if I didnt have no longer than 6 mos to practice with it.

You were probably very well acquainted with the gun you took so that is all I can tell the poster on this. he needs to take what he can shoot well whether it is a 243 or a 300 mag.
Agree with this 100%. I'd probably spend some folding money on some dang good glass and learn how to use it well.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
If I was buying a gun just to go mule deer hunt with I would probably buy a Tikka T3 in 7mm Remingtin Magnum and a Zeiss Scope.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I’ve told him pretty much what most have said he has a 30-06 , for some reason he thinks he is gonna ha e to shoot over 300 yards and is wanting something more , I think he is over thinking it myself also ,

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
2 things:
1) you’ve paid the money and gone all that way to Idaho. Don’t let scope quality rob you of an opportunity to shoot a muley during last 10-15 minutes of light. I think Luepold VX3i is lowest line I would buy new. I’ll leave the mag and objective issue alone but will say - probably more big game killed with a 4x or 8x than anything else.

2) the case for a BDC reticle is pretty strong. When seconds count on a moving muley, the time to click a scope turret to the right setting could cost you a shot.

Bonus thought:
I think any caliber brining 1000 ft lbs at the max distance a person intends to shoot is g2g for mule deer. If a person doesn’t already have a 7 mag or 300 win mag (or similar magnum), I cannot recommend one for a hunt UNLESS prior practice is involved; otherwise, flinching is very likely.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That said, a 300 yard shot, heart ponding, out of breath, gun propped on a back pack ain’t no cake walk... whew.
No it isn’t! But if he would just practice under those conditions, at some longer yardage’s 300 to 400, then he will be ready. The 30 06 is plenty for Elk at 500 yards, let alone mule deer.
His money is better spent upgrading his scope and investing in a rangefinder.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
It’s been said better scope, range finder, I’d also add Binoculars and possibly a spotting scope. You gotta be able to see what your looking for before getting into range of it.

I’d see if there was any long distance shooting classes/ or time on a long range with an instructor that he could afford. While doing that he could build a dope chart for his rifle and rounds.
400-500 yards isn’t that long but isn’t a chip shot.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

At this point, why bother? He is ill prepared. Should have been practicing and shooting all year, different scenarios and situations with the rifle he will be using.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I think your buddy is going about this all wrong.

1st thing id be figuring out is how far am I expecting to walk a day, then double it.

Then am I going to be camping or going to a motel/camper every night.

The last thing I’d be worried about is what rifle and scope combo to take. The things above aren’t going to change but you can always try to get closer if you don’t feel confident in the shot

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I mentioned the get in shape deal with him I’m 53 he is 25 and 6’4 275-290 big fella the guy going with him just started hunting this year I told him he better do his research on the area he’s hunting , heck even take a weeks vacation and check it out ( we get plenty of time off) and plan for 2022 but what do I know I was just gonna give him some advice off here because I know nothing about the area or shooting long range etc I hunt with a 25-06 and would take it with up graded scope and practice and be confident but it’s his baby he will be ready or learn the hard way I reckon

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’d get a long range scope and put it on a rifle he already has confidence in. Last thing he needs is to be unsure of his set up and trying to break in a new rifle and learn how it shoots. Only caveat is that it needs to be a rifle that shoots a moa or better

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The 30-06 is all he needs, a decent 3x9 scope, a rangefinder and a pair of bino's or spotter. I lived in CO for 15 years and have been back several times since to hunt mulies; it's not rocket science. It depends on what type of terrain and cover he's hunting, and the time of year will strongly affect that. You could go from bone dry to a foot or more snow overnight which would drive the deer down several thousand feet to find food. They might be hanging in the dark timber or sunning themselves in the sagebrush and without prior experience it can be a frustrating venture. Most shots will be under 250 yards so he doesn't have to be a sniper. Mulies don't appear to be as smart as whitetails and have some predictable habits and he'd be wise to do a lot of reading and watching videos on mulie habits and hunting.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Whatever you can find ammo for!

if buying a new rifle today I’d look at tika or bergara. Both are making real accurate factory rifles. Any caliber above 243 will work. 6.5 PRC maybe? 25-06, 270, 280, 30/06, 7 mag,etc. all will work and shoot flat enough.

good quality optics would get more attention then a new rifle. Most of us already own rifles that will outshoot what we can do with em.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I lived (and even did a lil guiding) in Idaho for 7 years and killed deer, elk and bears with
257 Ackley (think 25-06)
7x57 (think 7mm-08)
280 Rem
30-06
41 Magnum revolver (used the most)

Whatever he chooses he better PRACTICE with it.
Heavy recoiling rifles are not pleasant to practice with, for many, so choose wisely.

Its all about WHERE you put the lead. Bigger is NOT better IME.

I built more custom 270's and 280's than anything while gunsmithing out there.
The 3 largest elk i ever saw kilt were shot with a 243, and that guy drove tacks with it, hitting them in the neck every time.
One of my neighbors had 5 folks in that family that hunted and all used 308 Winchesters and bagged everything including moose. They all practiced, year round, bout once/mo or 2, out to 500 yds and were deadly.
I have never been anywhere or hunted anything I couldn't use my 270 on. I quit tracking deer over 10 years ago. Upper neck does it.

Duc90

Button Buck
It's been said a few times but bears repeating again.

Being proficient at longer ( read /heed ) ranges with 250 on the short end and 450 on the longer end.

That's way more important than the caliber.

Scope ?

With today's technology I'd say Leupold , Meopta , Burris , upper end scopes would work.

Most importantly though practice , practice , and more practice.
Very solid advice

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I used my 35 remington marlin 336 this year with success, also use my 270 short mag with a 3-9x50 leupold. They guy im helping out here in sw nebraska has killed the crap out of em over the years with a 243 at varying ranges up to 500 yards. Ruger m77 with a 3-9x40 cant remember the brand of scope. Another guy i know uses a 22-250 on em out to 300 yards. Anything further he pulls out his 300 weatherby mag