Heck of a trout bite today

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We fished after lunch today. The wind was way over what i saw advertised this morning. Didnt do much until it dropped out about 2:30-3:00. We ended up with about 18. Most were 17-20", but had 2 that were mid 20s, at about 4 pounds or so.
Tough bite on my end. The fish were also holding in deeper water than they have been the past few trips. Lost one real good fish when i was trying to keep a passing boat from seeing a bowed up rod.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Was scheduled to fish from 10:30 on. Below are pics of a 2.5 hr delay. We fished from 1:30 until 4:45. Nothing to write home about A few trout and a couple puppy drum 348B147D-E408-4F80-99B0-9BCBA98B946B.jpeg65252EAF-C2F4-49A4-8B41-87A024839D73.jpeg

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I was sitting at stoplight making a left. He tried making a right turn and was going so fast he lost control. Had he not hit me, he possibly could have flipped. Scary sight to see.

I had my boat hooked up. There was a car in front of me or I would have been forward another 25’-30’. He would have destroyed a 1973 SeaCraft. That said, he may have totaled my Suburban.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I was sitting at stoplight making a left. He tried making a right turn and was going so fast he lost control. Had he not hit me, he possibly could have flipped. Scary sight to see.

I had my boat hooked up. There was a car in front of me or I would have been forward another 25’-30’. He would have destroyed a 1973 SeaCraft. That said, he may have totaled my Suburban.
You can replace the suburban😂...the boat, not so much

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Some potentially long term modeling
shows a cold stretch coming up. Even some snow potential as we move a couple weeks into January. Hopefully not long enough duration to hurt the trout

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ i have not checked the long range modeling, how long does it look like it lasts?
I'd look it up but im on the road today.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The upcoming pattern flip is a complicated one. Outside of my area of knowledge really. It involves a stratosspheric warming event. This will push the jet stream south BUT will coincide with a -NAO or what's called a block which will enhance that feature. It means the 2nd half of January and maybe first half of Feb could be a very cold and wintry.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
If yall want to read the details here they are. From what I'm gathering this will pose the biggest cold shock threat to the trout fishery in a couple of years.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Interesting, thanks for the link. Fingers crossed that all the variables don't come together for this to happen.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting, thanks for the link. Fingers crossed that all the variables don't come together for this to happen.

Like i said it's a bit outside my box but everything I'm seeing on the models point to a +pna a -nao and a cross polar flow......one of the best patterns I've seen in a couple of years if it happens. The GFS already has a small storm over us in 8 or 9 days but it will change around alot I'm sure.

Attachments

• 20210102_064048.jpg
    20210102_064048.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 21

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Worst case scenario is gets cold , doesn’t actually freeze the creeks, starts snowing and slush forms on the surface of the water. That’s the kiss of death!

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Worst case scenario is gets cold , doesn’t actually freeze the creeks, starts snowing and slush forms on the surface of the water. That’s the kiss of death!

Exactly. And then the slow melting snow run off into the creeks. Stunner.