Poor man's Benelli

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just used one of these TruGlo sights from a LGS. The v notch is supposed to center in a bead. I just centered to to the sight blade flush to the flat base.
1608082892115.jpg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting thing is I couldn't unload the tube by manually working the action. I had to depress the catch inside the loading port. Other than that it worked flawlessly.
View attachment 57272
You have to depress the lever on the left side of trigger (magazine release) and either cycle them through or open the bolt and dump them out. It is the old benelli way. PITA Depressing the trigger also releases it, but I don't recommend that.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
You have to depress the lever on the left side of trigger (magazine release) and either cycle them through or open the bolt and dump them out. It is the old benelli way. PITA Depressing the trigger also releases it, but I don't recommend that.
Gun was perfect then. Operator error....

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I ordered these, only use one. I don't want any more bulk up there than I have to. I am going with a FF II

Please post when you get them.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is tame compared to an 18" barrel mossberg with 2oz buckshot loads trust me.

Years ago I had an 18" Winchester 1200. That damn thing with low brass 1 oz birdshot kicked like a mule. An 870 will the same load was a pussycat. Sold the Winchester and bought a Remington.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Years ago I had an 18" Winchester 1200. That damn thing wit's low brass 1 oz birdshot kicked like a mule. An 870 will the same load was a pussycat. Sold the Winchester and bought a Remington.
I was carrying the Mossberg behind the dogs because of weight, but with the recoil there was almost no chance of a followup shot if needed. That was exactly why I bought this thing. Now I haven't tried it with 3" 2 oz loads for rapid fire but you can put 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz through it as fast as you can pull the trigger and stay on target.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was carrying the Mossberg behind the dogs because of weight, but with the recoil there was almost no chance of a followup shot if needed. That was exactly why I bought this thing. Now I haven't tried it with 3" 2 oz loads for rapid fire but you can put 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz through it as fast as you can pull the trigger and stay on target.

What’s your opinion of it so far?
I’m thinking about getting one in 20 to carry rabbit hunting.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What’s your opinion of it so far?
I’m thinking about getting one in 20 to carry rabbit hunting.
Well to be totally honest as far as shooting it does just fine. It has a bunch of stamped metal parts, I wouldn't think it would be a gun that would take thousands of rounds and be trouble free, but I may be wrong.

It shoulders and fits me well, it uses Benelli chokes which I just happened to have a crap ton of so that was a plus. The front sight is a joke, it has fiber optic insert but the whole tube is covered so you get no light gathering from the pipe. If you need to see the front sight something like 45/70 put on there would be your easiest option. If it is something you plan on beating around and shooting an average amount like 99% of us do I think you would be hard pressed to beat it for the money. My disclaimer is I haven't put a full box through it yet. I am waiting on my base to get here and get some optics for it and I am also in the process of switching to TSS for deer. That means I will be testing loads so it will have some fairly heavy loads down the pipe soon.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well to be totally honest as far as shooting it does just fine. It has a bunch of stamped metal parts, I wouldn't think it would be a gun that would take thousands of rounds and be trouble free, but I may be wrong.

It shoulders and fits me well, it uses Benelli chokes which I just happened to have a crap ton of so that was a plus. The front sight is a joke, it has fiber optic insert but the whole tube is covered so you get no light gathering from the pipe. If you need to see the front sight something like 45/70 put on there would be your easiest option. If it is something you plan on beating around and shooting an average amount like 99% of us do I think you would be hard pressed to beat it for the money. My disclaimer is I haven't put a full box through it yet. I am waiting on my base to get here and get some optics for it and I am also in the process of switching to TSS for deer. That means I will be testing loads so it will have some fairly heavy loads down the pipe soon.

Thank you.
It seems like it’d be perfect for what I’d use it for; toting through briars mostly.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank you.
It seems like it’d be perfect for what I’d use it for; toting through briars mostly.
It carries great. I can hold it by the pistol grip and even with an extended BucKicker choke hanging out of it it doesn't touch the ground. It is just the right size for beating briers.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to be installing a sling on mine, but I like how it fits. I'm getting to where I like the shorter compact firearms. Bought the High Country, but preferred the 110 Wolverine in .450 Bushmaster this year and same goes for this little shotgun even though I'm not a shotgun guy.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm going to be installing a sling on mine, but I like how it fits. I'm getting to where I like the shorter compact firearms. Bought the High Country, but preferred the 110 Wolverine in .450 Bushmaster this year and same goes for this little shotgun even though I'm not a shotgun guy.
Sling was the first thing I put on mine. Put a ball swivel through the forend cap and a stud in the stock and then epoxied a reinforcing block inside. I carry mine on my shoulder more than any other way. That is why I seldom kill anything.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mace Sports had 4 yesterday but as usual they are higher priced than other places. They had three at $349 and one at $329.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I ordered these, only use one. I don't want any more bulk up there than I have to. I am going with a FF II

So I got the longer 46 mm version of your adapter. Thinking of running this set up.377DAA10-82D4-4751-AEBC-C99EB5FADD57.jpeg