Anyone camp at Jordan and hunt by boat?

kilacam

Six Pointer
I'm planning on camping at one of the parks on Jordan and hunting. The only way I legally see to do this would be to put my boat in at Farrington Ramp with the weapons/ammo on the boat. This way the weapons never enter the park, and stay on the gamelands the entire time (surface of the lake is gamelands). I would anchor right off shore of the campsite this way gate hours won't matter either. Has anyone ever done anything similar to this? I was just curious if anyone has had any negative experiences with Park Rangers doing this.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Nope
Did it for turkey yrs ago.
You’d be wise to drop in the main ofc to clear any questions.
They told me to anchor on shore.
Heck they even suggested areas to hunt!
Asking at the office clears ya of any problems since you can say “warden Steven said.......”

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Nope
Did it for turkey yrs ago.
You’d be wise to drop in the main ofc to clear any questions.
They told me to anchor on shore.
Heck they even suggested areas to hunt!
Asking at the office clears ya of any problems since you can say “warden Steven said.......”

Asking at the office so you can say, “he said/she said” won’t cut it.
Read the all rules and print them out. Or get something in writing if you need to ask.

I know a guy who got a ticket for possession of alcohol in the campground. Beer was on the boat, but the boat was anchored to the shore. The ranger told him if he had been anchored on the lake bottom instead of tied up to shore he’d have been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Actually, I meant ask at the office any questions you do not understand from the regulations. It has always worked well for me. And when I have been misinformed, they acknowledge they need to train their staff better and There were no repercussions.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Actually, I meant ask at the office any questions you do not understand from the regulations. It has always worked well for me. And when I have been misinformed, they acknowledge they need to train their staff better and There were no repercussions.

That’s sound advice. Some rules can be ambiguous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilacam

Six Pointer
Yea I plan on bringing an anchor pole to drive in the lake bottom to tie off on. I appreciate the replies, I've got it in writing that keeping the weapons in the boat on the surface of the lake is legal. I know alcohol is prohibited, so I'll be responsibly sipping my gatorade around the fire at night. I was just curious if anyone would share their experiences. I'm waiting to see if we are the outcast hunting crew amongst the family campers in the eyes of the Park Rangers. I will check with the main office for sure, thanks for the advice.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Want be many campers there as it a summer activity mostly. So you will be one of the very few if not one of two so its lot more attention on you few!

gobbler

Eight Pointer
There are a lot of folks that hunt it by lake access, I fished the last three days, ran into a group taking out that had killed a small buck, they were taking out a Poe’s ridge, I heard several shots while fishing the river but I got no idea of the regs, personally I’d put in a ebenezer and go back in the back of little beaver, it’s real thick back in there and you can access it by that little creek to possibly get close to your setup spot by boat, and I didn’t see any hunting activity in that direction, good luck

kilacam

Six Pointer
There are a lot of folks that hunt it by lake access, I fished the last three days, ran into a group taking out that had killed a small buck, they were taking out a Poe’s ridge, I heard several shots while fishing the river but I got no idea of the regs, personally I’d put in a ebenezer and go back in the back of little beaver, it’s real thick back in there and you can access it by that little creek to possibly get close to your setup spot by boat, and I didn’t see any hunting activity in that direction, good luck
Thanks for the info. I will say, I called the park to ask about the regs of all this. The only boat ramp I know of that is legal to have weapons on is Farrington since it is operated by the NCWRC. The ladies I spoke with made it very clear not to bring weapons to the boat ramps operated by the park. With that said, going crappie fishing I've seen tons of people early in the morning rolling out of Ebenezer to go duck hunting, so I'm not sure how much the rangers cite for it. I'm not sure about Poe's ridge I did not check on that one. Headed out in a couple hours to kick off the trip. Going to be in the stand early Monday, time to see what happens.