Leading running deer debate...

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lot of thoughts here and no wrong answer. What has worked for you on a running deer? I've heard it all from put the bead on the end of the nose, bead on front of shoulder. Have heard some say to lead them like a bird. I personally like to lead them like a bird with the bead just out in front of their shoulder. I have missed my share as have most dog hunters but I have also had luck killing a running deer like this. How do you like to lead them ?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shotgun? If so I have always like to shoot head/neck I put the red dot on their nose and let r rip. Messed up some horns but has worked well for me.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lot of guys forget to keep the gun moving with the deer. Otherwise you'll shoot behind them everytime. I believe this is what happens with most misses

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lot of guys forget to keep the gun moving with the deer. Otherwise you'll shoot behind them everytime. I believe this is what happens with most misses
I got a front row seat Friday of a guy missing a shot at a doe (s) that started out bebopping at about 40 yds. His first shot was at least 2' high, I couldn't tell where the rest were as they picked up speed. I was sitting on top of my box watching the whole thing unfold from about 200 yds shaking my head.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Lot of variables for me. Speed, distance, angle, etc......An open area like a cut down or field is different than hunting in the woods. Almost every shot is different. But in an open area, given time, I like to start behind the deer swing through him and touch it off when I clear the shoulder. Now if he has hit Mach 5 I try to get further ahead. In the woods I have a lot more success by picking an opening and waiting for him to hit it. Again, many variables, but the second I see brown hit my opening I fire. Works pretty good for me. But I have some friends that kill way more deer than me and they do it other ways.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may be slinging some shotguns, I have went to reflex sights on both of the shotguns I use deer hunting. After about 50 years of using beads I may be in for a surprise when I start shooting at them running.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I may be slinging some shotguns, I have went to reflex sights on both of the shotguns I use deer hunting. After about 50 years of using beads I may be in for a surprise when I start shooting at them running.
Man you’re gonna love it. I’ve got one on my doggin rifle(6.5 G) and it’s the bees knees! I just hadn’t got around to getting one on my deer shotgun, but it’s coming sooner than later!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man you’re gonna love it. I’ve got one on my doggin rifle(6.5 G) and it’s the bees knees! I just hadn’t got around to getting one on my deer shotgun, but it’s coming sooner than later!
I have had them on several pistols. After reloading buckshot it is almost a prerequisite to dial in your pattern and and really will extend your range. I have messed with them several time on deer jumping up in front of me when I am working the dogs and and haven't had any issues staying on them. I just haven't had anything I wanted to pull the trigger on yet.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Growing up all the older guys told me to follow the deer, swing through him, and fire. Tried for years with no great success. As stated earlier it works pretty good in open areas but not so much in the woods for me.

We were running a swamp one Saturday and the farmer that gave us a great access point requested that we then the herd. Said the deer were eating all his crops and he would let us use his access to the swamp if we promised to shoot some "deer".

So I'm in the swamp and here comes the dogs. I see him coming, at a pretty sharp angle, and start following him. When he gets about 30 yards I touch it off. Now remember I am swinging with the deer. It looked like someone shot a cotton pillow. White stuff flew everywhere. I shuck my pump and try to get back on him. As I am doing this a small holly falls in the same direction the deer is running. He is now at Mach 3 and angling away. I get ahead of him, and the falling holly, find a nice opening and as soon as I saw his front should entering the opening I fired. He rolled like a lug wrench. Not a trophy in inches but a trophy story I will remember for ever.

Attachments

• HollyShot.JPG
    HollyShot.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 55
  • HollyHand.JPG
    HollyHand.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 62
  • HollyBuck.JPG
    HollyBuck.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 61

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Which sight are you using?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really like the Sumtoy mount for the FF III it is really neat and compact. Really nice having it that low.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
It's just something you learn. Your brain makes the calculations for all the variables, speed of the deer, distance, whether the deer is bounding or running ( usually a function of speed). Judge it wrong or just shoot it usually results in a miss. I prefer slugs or a rifle. In the woods I like open sights. In the woods I can see where a red dot or a 1 -2 x scope could work. It's gets difficult to pick a spot between the trees with a 3x+ scope on a fast running deer. I have to admit this is when buckshot could have an advantage. I honestly can't say if I swing through or not it is something I do not think about. I do know I have picked a spot and shot when I thought I needed too and killed many a deer. Wing shooting deer is awesome. Get one flying through the thick stuff, then folding it up mid path while in the air, is something to behold. I love shooting at running game. When I was in my early teens squirrel hunting with a .22, I would let the squirrels come out then I would chase them down an shoot them while running through the trees. l know some people chastise this, but I see it no different than wing shooting or hunting rabbits.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
It's just something you learn. Your brain makes the calculations for all the variables, speed of the deer, distance, whether the deer is bounding or running ( usually a function of speed). Judge it wrong or just shoot it usually results in a miss. I prefer slugs or a rifle. In the woods I like open sights. In the woods I can see where a red dot or a 1 -2 x scope could work. It's gets difficult to pick a spot between the trees with a 3x+ scope on a fast running deer. I have to admit this is when buckshot could have an advantage. I honestly can't say if I swing through or not it is something I do not think about. I do know I have picked a spot and shot when I thought I needed too and killed many a deer. Wing shooting deer is awesome. Get one flying through the thick stuff, then folding it up mid path while in the air, is something to behold. I love shooting at running game. When I was in my early teens squirrel hunting with a .22, I would let the squirrels come out then I would chase them down an shoot them while running through the trees. l know some people chastise this, but I see it no different than wing shooting or hunting rabbits.

I find it funny how we as hunters judge things. Shooting a running deer or turkey is frowned upon. Shoot a duck on the water or a dove out of the tree and you are some kind of villain.

Not all hunters are equal in skill and/or equipment. Each hunter should know their equipment and abilities. When I bow hunted 35 yards was my max, and that was with perfect conditions. But I don't go around saying nobody should shoot a deer at 40+ yards. An ethical shot for me and my shotgun may be way beyond the limits of another guy. Heck, all my shotguns don't have the same abilities. At the same time some guys can shoot their rifle effectively out past 400 yards. I would never think of taking that shot. But a standing deer at 60 yards with my shotguns, no doubts.

Reactions: DRS

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I agree with the reflex or dot sights helping with running shots. Just lead with the dot and pull. Some good info in this thread like the difference between thick woods and large openings.

I killed a doe last year with my AR in 5.
56 on New years day running hounds. He popped out into a clearing and i led her right an inch in front and double tapped her. One went through the front leg shank and the other separated the aorta off of the heart. Se ran 20 yards.

Loved the sight. Not impressed with th .223.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
With buckshot, I aim for the tip of the nose. I also like a fairly open pattern of #1 buck. With a rifle I try to lead a little bit.