venison recipe

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Yea the blood is not gamy tasting. It’s over cooked meat that taste gamy. Or if it ever gets to hot before cooking. Or if any bile, urine, or liver juice gets on the meat and not rinsed immediately.
I make a organ enchilada dish that will have you second guessing why you throw the stomach etc away.

And many other organ dishes.

I’ve kinda been into pretty raw liver, lime juice and hot pepper oil. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
one backstrap
some kind of grainy mustard spread all over it
wrap in bacon
bake till medium rare
dun and dusted

i agree, i dont soak anything in salt water, it might see a cooler with water but that's only to keep it cool
If you cook it over medium rare then its not nearly as good and only gets worse
Hey dobber. Can you elaborate with this recipe ? From start to finish. Or let me give you my email and you can send it to me there. I mean temps and everything if you will. How soon after you kill it do you cook it like that ? You can hit me up in private conversation if you want to.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
@Ex Military
I normally cut my back straps into 3-4 pieces, my deer tend to be a little larger than a typical NC deer.
This is very simple, cut out any of the silver skin, filet it like you would a fish, try not to remove too much meat, and a filet knife works well for this.
Any grain mustard, but i stay away from sweet, want a little bite to it.
Literally get your hands dirty and slop the mustard on and try and cover the meat. lay out the bacon, place the BS on the bacon and roll it up, can use tooth picks if needed, or manage the bacon accordingly to wrap ends underneath.
Oven to 350 C, cook to 140-145 for medium rare, but maybe at 125-130ish turn the oven to high to try and crisp up the bacon

or a fancy one, very similar but a few extra fixens

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Hey timekiller13. You don't let it soak in anything to get the blood out of it or anything while its sitting in the refrigerator for 7 to 14 days ?
Only time I brine or soak venison is if I am going smoke it or if I am marinating it for a jerky.

As others have said, the gamey taste you are experiencing is from improper handling. There are some great YouTube videos out there that show you how to correctly handle and process a deer, field to table. Check them out.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
@Ex Military
I normally cut my back straps into 3-4 pieces, my deer tend to be a little larger than a typical NC deer.
This is very simple, cut out any of the silver skin, filet it like you would a fish, try not to remove too much meat, and a filet knife works well for this.
Literally get your hands dirty and slop the mustard on and try and cover the meat. lay out the bacon, place the BS on the bacon and roll it up, can use tooth picks if needed, or manage the bacon accordingly to wrap ends underneath.
Oven to 350 C, cook to 140-145 for medium rare, but maybe at 125-130ish turn the oven to high to try and crisp up the bacon

Ok. That sounds very good. How soon after you kill it do you cook it ?

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
@Ex Military

[/Q Do you try to get the blood out of it with something before you cook it or no ?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Hey Wildlifer. Ok. What do you got for frying or grilling ?
For grilling I like it’s simple. My seasoning of choice is hardcore carnivore black rub. Olive oil, rub, get the grill as hot as possible. Place the steak on the grill and don’t touch it until juice just starts coming to the top. Flip and cook until medium rare. Serve with a fruit jam thinned with a little bourbon.

country fried venison steak is hard to best. Tenderize the whole steak with one of those things with all the little knives in it (idk what it’s called), or beat flat with the spiked end of a meat mallet. Dredge in flour, egg wash, then flour again. Fry until golden brown and serve with brown gravy.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
How soon after you kill it do you cook it ?
anything from days to months, but for the fresh stuff will fry up the inside tenderloins that day - minutes/hours of the kill, some of the best quick fried in butter meat possible, as well as the heart and kidneys, sliced, salt, pepper and butter

As far as the blood question, really not sure what you are asking or referring to, even with dry aging all you are getting rid of it water. You can hang the deer for a while in the right conditions 33-36, i dont have that luxury when i hunt, majority of the time its well below freezing, so anything hung will freeze up, so i normally shoot my deer and drop off at the butchers to be cut up. Have shot a deer on a Friday and pick up the cut and wrapped meat on Saturday morning, never had an issue with a gamey taste other than a venison taste.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
anything from days to months, but for the fresh stuff will fry up the inside tenderloins that day - minutes/hours of the kill, some of the best quick fried in butter meat possible, as well as the heart and kidneys, sliced, salt, pepper and butter

As far as the blood question, really not sure what you are asking or referring to, even with dry aging all you are getting rid of it water. You can hang the deer for a while in the right conditions 33-36, i dont have that luxury when i hunt, majority of the time its well below freezing, so anything hung will freeze up, so i normally shoot my deer and drop off at the butchers to be cut up. Have shot a deer on a Friday and pick up the cut and wrapped meat on Saturday morning, never had an issue with a gamey taste other than a venison taste.
Ok.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer

I mean do you try to put it in anything like salt water to draw the blood out or do you cook like it is with the blood and all ?

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
DO NOT SOAK YOUR BACK STRAPS.

Proper handling of the kill and good cleaning/ butchering will take care of any gamey taste.

I would season the back strap with Montreal or Brazilian steakhouse seasoning the day before I want to cook it. I grill on the Big green egg until 135 degrees for my wife and 125 for the kids and I. Never any complaints.

Back strap is also great in a teriyaki stir fry.

Clean all tendon, fat and silverskin. This will help a lot as well.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
DO NOT SOAK YOUR BACK STRAPS.

Proper handling of the kill and good cleaning/ butchering will take care of any gamey taste.

I would season the back strap with Montreal or Brazilian steakhouse seasoning the day before I want to cook it. I grill on the Big green egg until 135 degrees for my wife and 125 for the kids and I. Never any complaints.

Back strap is also great in a teriyaki stir fry.

Clean all tendon, fat and silverskin. This will help a lot as well.
Ok. How soon after the kill do you cook it ?

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
As others have stated some cuts like tenderloin can be eaten immediately. Typically I dry age the meat 3 to 5 days in a refrigerator. The meat needs to be aged at least 24 hours to get the rigor mortis out of it. I then vacuum seal and freeze in the sub primal cuts.

When eating medium rare, which is almost all of the time, I actually prefer the meat to have been frozen for at least 48 hours. There are a few, admittedly uncommon, bugs that can make you sick. That said I will eat fresh venison rare. I just understand the risks.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll admit that I like to gut mine from the comfort of modern conveniences. Sometimes it may be two hours before I get them gutted. That said. All meat was just fine tasting, and I don’t like “gamey”. The biggest thing I’ve found is trim trim and trim more. Every ounce of meat that I used when I started processing my own didn’t have any fat at ALL on it. Deer fat isn’t tastey. Once you deal with just pure red meat, you can do whatever with it as long as you don’t over cook, and it’s delicious.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
I’ll admit that I like to gut mine from the comfort of modern conveniences. Sometimes it may be two hours before I get them gutted. That said. All meat was just fine tasting, and I don’t like “gamey”. The biggest thing I’ve found is trim trim and trim more. Every ounce of meat that I used when I started processing my own didn’t have any fat at ALL on it. Deer fat isn’t tastey. Once you deal with just pure red meat, you can do whatever with it as long as you don’t over cook, and it’s delicious.
Hey Justin. How long do you cook it and at what temp ?

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
The only thing i keep from the deer is the backstraps. Otherwise i donate the rest. And yes i do get it on ice very quickly

No judgement but You’re missing out. My favorite cuts are in the hams. Sirloin and eye of the round. Consider keeping one and google how to butcher your own just for the sake of growth. Good for you for donating. I try to help out too.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
No judgement but You’re missing out. My favorite cuts are in the hams. Sirloin and eye of the round. Consider keeping one and google how to butcher your own just for the sake of growth. Good for you for donating. I try to help out too.

Thanks. Yea, thats the best part of the deer so i take it and give the rest away. Have always done that

Ex Military

Eight Pointer

Wish i could donate more often but i need to find a place to hunt where i can go more often you know.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Another option is to fry the backstrap. Cut it thin and roll or pound flat. Coat with lemon pepper seasoning and flour and fry until brown.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

ill second this. i like all the roast on the back quarters almost as much as the back straps.