Know whats behind your target

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Was out spraying weeds and some guys were shooting on an adjacent t road. Theres a thin line of trees between us and the back of the field and I heard several rounds zipping by. Got my kid in the ditch and then inside and then called the sheriff.

Know what's behind your target.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Safe shooting 101 they obviously failed. Damn idiots!! Glad y’all are safe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Well oddly enough the sheriff just called and had made contact with them AND it's a retired cop.

His words "They were shooting on their property not doing anything illegal"

My response " good I wasnt looking at pressing charges just trying not to get accidentally shot thank you for checking it out officer"

Sheriff was super nice and made sure to relay our concerns. Quite professional.

He says they had a dirt berm to shoot at so it had to be ricoshets but still that sound is not a good one to hear.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah , I can about bet how that worked. They put their beer can targets on top of the berm , then shot at them.

Mike

Heres a pic. They were shooting from the houses on the left across the field. You can see the tress and then the start of the backyards to my neighborhood. The trees were a little wider than I thought. Surprised they made it through. Just goes to show how much energy these rounds can have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201017-180728_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-180728_Gallery.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 177

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They are responsible for that bullet until it stops. Then it’s still there bullet ricochets or not. The sheriff might need to think about that comment because he’s wrong.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i can promise you if shots were TRULY zinging by my head......I would have easily beat the deputy to that location.....just saying....if rounds are REALLY zinging by my head..... they need to immediately know.....ain’t got to be a dick, but at least get it to their attention. ESPECIALLY with my kid involved!! I guess what I’m getting at is that the story is embellished or your nuts are the size of.......JUST NEVMIND...........

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i can promise you if shots were TRULY zinging by my head......I would have easily beat the deputy to that location.....just saying....if rounds are REALLY zinging by my head..... they need to immediately know.....ain’t got to be a dick, but at least get it to their attention. ESPECIALLY with my kid involved!! I guess what I’m getting at is that the story is embellished or your nuts are the size of.......JUST NEVMIND...........
Unnamed source and unsubstantiated claim.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Well oddly enough the sheriff just called and had made contact with them AND it's a retired cop.

His words "They were shooting on their property not doing anything illegal"

My response " good I wasnt looking at pressing charges just trying not to get accidentally shot thank you for checking it out officer"

Sheriff was super nice and made sure to relay our concerns. Quite professional.

He says they had a dirt berm to shoot at so it had to be ricoshets but still that sound is not a good one to hear.
I’ve had similar issues and gotten the same response from law enforcement. It’s frustrating.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

I did go around and saw the 4 gentlemen. While I am not a dick I dont know these 4 armed men or their demeanor. Couple of drunk asshats could easily go south.

My son was safe and sometimes brains are better than "balls"

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My patience with people is shot.
I don't care if they were armed or drunk, once my kid was safe in the house I woulda' waded right in amongst them. Im too old for this crap anymore.

What's going to happen next time ? Because there will be a next time. The line of fire to that berm is still toward you, and the deputy pretty much let them know that they weren't in any trouble...unless sharing your concerns is "in trouble."

Not trying to dog you Shaggy, but that deputy was wrong buddy.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I was at Jordan one day fishing. Illegal to target shoot they and some one was . bullets whizzing by me. I called the Chatham co sheriff's office and told them to come out. They said I needed to call the NCWRC!!! because they were over the gamelands. I know the sheriff's dept has control over anything they want to in the county. I told them would they come out if I got shot and then I shot one of those shooters??? they said yes, I said then do your damn job and het out here before someone gets hurt. Then they showed up and stopped the shooting. Sometimes you just have to push em.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Yell..fire in the hole..INCOMING!!
Now for something more serious. Maybe 18-20 years ago I read in a news paper about a lady being shot. The little girl or boy went to the daddy, in the kitchen I think, and said something like "mommy's sick" or "mommy's real sick". She was laying on a couch and had been shot. She ended up dying. There was a hole in the sliding glass door(thought it would have shattered). A dead doe was found just off their backyard. Article said the bullet passed through deer and hit the woman. This is something I share occasionally...usually around the beginning of deer season.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
ya gota push em gently at times like Mack said
20 yrs ago we had bullets landing on our farm
i could hear them ricocheting off water, to the south. A VERY distinct sound.
when i called the sheriff, the dispatcher told me its not illegal for folks to shoot on their own land
I asked for her name and said "ok, well thanks. When my child or wife gets hit with someone else bullets, I'll know who to sue." Deputies arrived in less than 3 minutes!
Deputies stopped it and came back and said folks were shooting at turtles.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Knew a range manager one time that had just built a state-of-the-art range to great specifications with fancy berm, etc. A neighbor started complaining about shots occasionally landing around his farm buildings well down range, etc. Manager went by to try and convince him that they weren't coming from the range and initially thought he was just against the range. While there several rounds zinged by as they were talking. The manager went back to his range and figured out that the problem was mostly folks shooting handguns at longer ranges and missing badly. The berms were set up to handle rounds in the general vicinity of the targets. They did not consider handgun rounds dropping 20-30 feet short of the targets, ricocheting off of the ground, and going over the berm. They ended up putting additional barriers on top of the berm to block those type of shots. Hard to completely account for poor judgement of some folks using firearms. I would not want to be responsible for managing a public range but kudos to those who do.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
One night on a range with M240s and M249s would show people just how far a round will fly after striking a berm.

Marine Corps, and I’m sure all branches, had translucent SDZ templates for different military rounds. Probably surprise some folks to lay one over a satellite image of their land and see where their projectiles could land.

Now that I think about it, that would make a good app for someone to make, if it don’t exist already.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Stuff like this is why I've seen people in the couple FB women-only hunting groups I'm in go around looking for private land to hunt on in exchange for sharing the meat they harvest or whatever. They're scared of getting shot by some idiot on public land.

Glad you and your kid are alright, @Shaggy!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Had something similar to this happen to me and a buddy fishing in a 14ft jon boat in Choco bay by the railroad trestle many many years ago.....we were well away from the sound of the shots and still had rounds landing around the boat.

So you are one of the guys in that video?!?!?!?! OMG!!!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
This is an extreme example as a .50 bmg is an extreme round but goes to show that your round can end up a long way from your target even if you hit the target.

So where they really zipping by or you just heard shots being fired close by? How do you know they missed the berm? you will need more proof than it sounded like they were zipping by. Did you actually find lead? T road? It is illegal to shoot from a road! Your story is missing some facts as usual.

Last edited:

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So where they really zipping by or you just heard shots being fired close by? How do you know they missed the berm? you will need more proof than it sounded like they were zipping by. Did you actually find lead? T road? It is illegal to shoot from a road! Your story is missing some facts as usual.

Ever heard rounds go by you? It's not a mistakable sound. I dont know if they missed the berm or not i wasnt with them. I didn't go looking for any lead so no I didnt find any lead. Where in the ever loving H E double hockey sticks did I ever say someone was shooting from any road?