venison recipe

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
I have tried several different ways to cook backstraps of a deer and it never comes out rite or taste rite. I have tried the grill, in a stew or even using bacon and wrapping it with that. Can anybody give me some ways to cook the meat ? From how long to soak it and what to soak it in to get the blood and gamey taste out of it to how soon to cook or how soon i could cook it and the best way to cook it.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Overnight in salt water or milk can help with game taste. I fry mine in a deep fryer, lightly coated with flour and seasonings
Thanks. I've heard soaking it from a day or so to soaking it for a week. I've even tried soaking it in butter milk and that didn't work either. How bout what to do to get the blood out of it ? The same ? Over nite in salt water or milk ? How bout cooking it the oven ? Or baking it in the oven with bacon or something wrapped around it.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
No no no no no! Deer meat itself is not gamey. You find the gaminess from what they eat in the fat and let’s face it, there’s not much fat.

You shouldn’t have to salt bath/brine any meat In good condition.

The number one contribution to ‘gamey’ meat is poor handling.

Learn how to use a clean knife on meat and keep the meat from spoiling.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
No no no no no! Deer meat itself is not gamey. You find the gaminess from what they eat in the fat and let’s face it, there’s not much fat.

You shouldn’t have to salt bath/brine any meat In good condition.

The number one contribution to ‘gamey’ meat is poor handling.

Learn how to use a clean knife on meat and keep the meat from spoiling.

This....This....This !!!
If you have gamey meat something in your process is wrong.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I said this in another thread but how the meat tastes starts as soon as the deer hits the ground. Id be happy to go through the whole process with you in a chat. I don't buy any red meat and I've found numerous ways to make great dishes. Pressure cooker, sous vide, fried, grilled. Just tell me how you want to eat it and I'll give you a recipe for it.

Ballshrinker

Button Buck
I dont know as much as most but I think the number one reason people don't like dder meat is because its overcooked. I don't brine, soak or go through any hoops. Just cook until its not spongy or cool inside. It doesn't look like beef. You can use a thermometer to get it rare or medium rare. It should have a little blood come out as you cut and eat. I bet money if its gamey, you're cooking too long.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I like the internal temperature to be 130°.

98fd259d4e6447b1bb6fef14e1fb6f67.jpg

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
I said this in another thread but how the meat tastes starts as soon as the deer hits the ground. Id be happy to go through the whole process with you in a chat. I don't buy any red meat and I've found numerous ways to make great dishes. Pressure cooker, sous vide, fried, grilled. Just tell me how you want to eat it and I'll give you a recipe for it.
Ok. Hit me up in private conversation. Would love to get a good recipe from you if you don't mind. If you want my email, i'll give that to you to.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
CHANGE THE BLOODY SALT WATER!.....3 times in 3 days.
by then the blood is bout out and THEN its ready to cook.

Foolproof Stew
in a crock pot put a lb or 2 of cubed meat
add 1 can of cream of ANYTHING soup and stir well, covering the meat well
(option now a handfull of raisins on top of meat)
sprinkle 1/4 cup of brown sugar on top of meat
cover with the veggies of your choice and cover and cook.
(the brown sugar is optional too, BUT we like that lil bit o sweet flavor)

EASY PEASY

We have fed this to numerous folks who had said in the past they would NEVER eat deer.............and they thought they were eating beef.
DO NOT TELL them what you fed them for a week.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks. I've heard soaking it from a day or so to soaking it for a week. I've even tried soaking it in butter milk and that didn't work either. How bout what to do to get the blood out of it ? The same ? Over nite in salt water or milk ? How bout cooking it the oven ? Or baking it in the oven with bacon or something wrapped around it.
Slice it salt pepper fry it to rare, blood will be on plate looking for a biscuit.

NEW2NC

Button Buck
1. Leave backstrap on counter for an hour to warm up to room temp.
2. Rub some olive oil, Salt and pepper a few mins before grill time.
3. Sear all sides including ends on a super hot grill. Maybe a minute, two max per side. Use tongs to hold it up while you sear the ends.
4. Lower heat and finish cooking until internal temp is about 130. A digital thermometer that you can leave in there works great. After searing it usually only takes about 5 mins to get to temp.
5. Put back on counter to rest for at least 10 minutes. Do not cut it open to see if its done!
6. Slice and enjoy.

If there is no blood you cooked it too long. This is my go to method and even my picky wife likes it.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Number #1 problem with "gamey" tasting venison is poor processing / handling.

Number #2 problem is overcooking; as others have said, medium rare is about as cooked as you want grill it. Otherwise, it gets tough quick.

And a lot of people are put-off by the taste of venison, being used to the taste of beef / pork / chicken. Venison has its own favor, and for some it's an acquired taste. Never understood why people insist on wrapping venison in bacon; venison is supposed to taste like, well, venison.

You've already been given some good-looking recipes in this thread. Head on over to the wild game recipe thread on this Forum and you'll find a bunch more.

Happy dining!!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Dry age your meat in a refridgerator for 7-14 days after the kill. Keep at consistent temp of 36-38 degrees. Once you start getting nice rind on the meat, it's perfect.

As for cooking I take my backstrap, put a little salt and pepper on it, and cook it medium rare. Internal temp of 125-130. Let rest for a few minutes,after taking off the grill. That's all you need to do. Don't try and fancy up a backstrap, its a primo cut of meat.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Air drip dry cool. As said. Any where from raw to 130* is fine. Anything else taste like crap. Unless you cook it down like boil or stew until it falls apart. There is no in between for venison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Dry age your meat in a refridgerator for 7-14 days after the kill. Keep at consistent temp of 36-38 degrees. Once you start getting nice rind on the meat, it's perfect.

As for cooking I take my backstrap, put a little salt and pepper on it, and cook it medium rare. Internal temp of 125-130. Let rest for a few minutes,after taking off the grill. That's all you need to do. Don't try and fancy up a backstrap, its a primo cut of meat.
Hey timekiller13. You don't let it soak in anything to get the blood out of it or anything while its sitting in the refrigerator for 7 to 14 days ?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
one backstrap
some kind of grainy mustard spread all over it
wrap in bacon
bake till medium rare
dun and dusted

i agree, i dont soak anything in salt water, it might see a cooler with water but that's only to keep it cool
If you cook it over medium rare then its not nearly as good and only gets worse

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Cut in 1-1.5” steaks.
A little olive oil salt & pepper.
Get grill as hot as possible.
1.5 minutes on each side.
Don’t over cook.
Your wanting them RARE.

Eat straight off the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Hey Wildlifer. Ok. What do you got for frying or grilling ?