Semi-Live Squirrel Season Thread

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Thought I'd start this thread so I'll have a place to post up pictures, share things I find, and hopefully share some successes while squirrel hunting this season.

No luck with the squirrels again this afternoon, but I did come across another patch of what look like coral mushrooms. And I spent a little time by a beautiful, magnificent, old beech tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_173727405.jpg
    IMG_20201013_173727405.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20201013_173411815_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201013_173411815_HDR.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 41

KrisB

Ten Pointer
was they any nuts left around that beech tree, or did nuts make this year ?

I think I did see nuts around it, but I didn't look close enough to check if they were beech nuts or acorns that might have gotten blown over there. If I go again this afternoon, I'll check. I definitely saw the big white oak acorns all over that area.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I think I did see nuts around it, but I didn't look close enough to check if they were beech nuts or acorns that might have gotten blown over there. If I go again this afternoon, I'll check. I definitely saw the big white oak acorns all over that area.
If much wildlife beech are likely gone we never have any on ground here by time squirrel comes in but have killed pile of em in Va in Sept over beech

Lee

Six Pointer
The squirrels outside my office window are cutting green pine cones and a few hickory nuts today. There are four in one tree. It's hard to work thinking about getting all four with a shotgun.

ps: I posted about the pine cones because it surprised me. There's a hundred acres of hardwoods next door and acorns all over the sidewalk, but the squirrels are focused on green pine cones. I guess there's always something new to learn no matter how long we've been hunting

Last edited:

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Yeah I should have told her then between squirrels and crows I barely get any

I visit my mother from time to time, who lives in Moore County. If you'd really like a pecan tree guard, I might be able to help you with the squirrels whenever I come down.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The squirrels seem to be coming out rather late in the evening here. I might be able to get on some just before sunset, but on opening day, I saw one right at twilight. That was the only opportunity I had on opening day, but I couldn't find it in my scope. Yesterday, I could hear a squirrel a little before sunset, but then this flock of small birds passed overhead chattering away (they sounded like red-winged blackbirds to me, but I couldn't get a good look at them, they were flying so fast, and it was hard to get a good look at them through the canopy). The squirrel shut up after they came by and I headed home. Might try again later towards sunset today instead of trying to get out there by 5:00 pm.

Anybody else seeing squirrels coming out somewhat late in the evening? Or is that typical behavior for squirrels at this time of year?

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Been pretty much seeing them move real good by 4:00,..or at least thats when the dog gets fired up out back of the house.

Watch and make sure those "big" acorns aint them chestnut/mountain oak akerns. They are a member of the white family but not much eats them.
The ones you are looking for shouldnt be considered overly big. They will be shaped differently and have different caps.

Catman on youtube posted an excellent video on acorns about 2 weeks ago 👍🏻

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The squirrels seem to be coming out rather late in the evening here. I might be able to get on some just before sunset, but on opening day, I saw one right at twilight. That was the only opportunity I had on opening day, but I couldn't find it in my scope. Yesterday, I could hear a squirrel a little before sunset, but then this flock of small birds passed overhead chattering away (they sounded like red-winged blackbirds to me, but I couldn't get a good look at them, they were flying so fast, and it was hard to get a good look at them through the canopy). The squirrel shut up after they came by and I headed home. Might try again later towards sunset today instead of trying to get out there by 5:00 pm.

Anybody else seeing squirrels coming out somewhat late in the evening? Or is that typical behavior for squirrels at this time of year?
They aren't stupid, they do that especially so if they are preyed upon heavily by avian predators.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns

I see them anytime there’s daylight, on the pavement and in the yard. I cringe to think about how many are in the woods.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Been pretty much seeing them move real good by 4:00,..or at least thats when the dog gets fired up out back of the house.

Watch and make sure those "big" acorns aint them chestnut/mountain oak akerns. They are a member of the white family but not much eats them.
The ones you are looking for shouldnt be considered overly big. They will be shaped differently and have different caps.

Catman on youtube posted an excellent video on acorns about 2 weeks ago 👍🏻

fun fact, even though I know what you mean..... all oaks are in the same family. They’re all in the same genus as well. They’re members of the beech (Fagaceae) family. Genus being Quercus

KrisB

Ten Pointer
fun fact, even though I know what you mean..... all oaks are in the same family. They’re all in the same genus as well. They’re members of the beech (Fagaceae) family. Genus being Quercus

I know they are all in the Quercus genus, but did not know that fell under Fagaceae. Thank you! That is a cool fact!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Ended at 5 on 8 shots.

Saw a decent bear around 300. Best pic I could get.
4B336C09-E6A3-4C01-88FD-A1E9C42D986E.jpeg
Jumped some deer.
Not much buck sign yet. Few horned trees and some 2 week old scrapes.

Felt good to prowl around. They stayed on the ground good till 11ish til the wind picked up

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
The squirrels outside my office window are cutting green pine cones and a few hickory nuts today. There are four in one tree. It's hard to work thinking about getting all four with a shotgun.

ps: I posted about the pine cones because it surprised me. There's a hundred acres of hardwoods next door and acorns all over the sidewalk, but the squirrels are focused on green pine cones. I guess there's always something new to learn no matter how long we've been hunting
Pine seeds have more nutritional value lb to lb. Vs acorns....they are harder for the squirrel to get to but squirrels love them.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
This is time year its easy to
Find where squirrels are at just look for those yellow hickory leaves that stand out and go to them if the nuts made you'll find plenty evidence of cutting so be patient and ready to shoot.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
This is time year its easy to
Find where squirrels are at just look for those yellow hickory leaves that stand out and go to them if the nuts made you'll find plenty evidence of cutting so be patient and ready to shoot.

Thank you! I will do that!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The ones you are looking for shouldnt be considered overly big.

These are what I'm seeing. They look like acorns to me. Is that correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_174117342.jpg
    IMG_20201015_174117342.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 26

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
They were working the hickories and white oaks today. About half taken on the ground and half in the trees. Great temps this morning, got hot and stifling this afternoon with the misquotes. Thermacell helped.

Closest shot 12 yards, furtherest probably 35 yards. First limit on opening week in a while.

44712b9e18ebf935bcabf0a86652938e.jpg

ebe6f6efd52d3265bdbb6d63c8ee2904.jpg

f5d323592148be52c76dd6fe670727d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
These are what I'm seeing. They look like acorns to me. Is that correct?

Hard to tell with no size reference. Not one of the big chestnut oak acorns I mentioned.
I can also see that regardless of species that nut is likely no good, just from observing its current color and tiny spots near the base. Bet if you crack it open its wormy.
I always gather up a few and check them. See if the have any heft to them vs. feeling light like air. Always crack a few open too looking for good fresh meat inside.
If you are in a good area with a good population of skirls you should be seeing tons of cuttings laying everywhere this time of year. If not do not waste 5 minutes there, just keep scouting til you see heavy sign, it will be very obvious right now.
Keep after them and good luck !! 👍🏻

Somebody may chime in with exactly what that nut is but it doesnt look like a little white oak acorn either, hard to tell from the pic.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Looks to be old acorn from red to me as well like ol copper said always break few open make sure your not wasting time on old rotten ones take rock smash few if not fresh your in wrong spot that tree didn't make this year. Also you can surely kill them over those but its my last stop. Growing up in Va always started around beech then moved to hickory when squirrel was in as my preference then whites and reds. But you can for sure find them in oaks but man be not as many and as active of area as say a hickory flat. Since moving to NC beech is gone by time season starts so I focus hard on hickory trees that made but I will mix in some oak and pine walking if I'm hunting for bit.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Looks to be old acorn from red to me as well like ol copper said always break few open make sure your not wasting time on old rotten ones take rock smash few if not fresh your in wrong spot that tree didn't make this year. Also you can surely kill them over those but its my last stop. Growing up in Va always started around beech then moved to hickory when squirrel was in as my preference then whites and reds. But you can for sure find them in oaks but man be not as many and as active of area as say a hickory flat. Since moving to NC beech is gone by time season starts so I focus hard on hickory trees that made but I will mix in some oak and pine walking if I'm hunting for bit.

Thank you! That is very helpful!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I love finding a big gang working a hickory tree. You can pop them going to stash the nuts and the rest in the tree don’t pay much mind if you’re shooting quiet and sitting still.

That and a good breeding party are a fun way to get a limit quick.