Snake ID

EMB

Ten Pointer
Curious if anyone can identify. Though the picture looks large, this guy was less than 11" in length and about as thick as 1/4 inch I took a really well magnified picture of him. He was hiding in an area I was removing some plant roots and I almost got him. Once I saw him I grabbed a shovel and took him to my woodline and released him fully intact. He does not have the look of a baby copper head, as i have seen those plenty of times,just curious
20201014_173451.jpg20201014_173451.jpg

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ive seen a pile of em in my yard...not sure of the name but definitely non venomous.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I call them the same, brown earth snake. Wife came in earlier this week all shook up, saw 2 of the above in her very small garden. She hates a snake worse than anyone. Glad for the snakes there wasn’t a nearby shovel.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
good job.......baby copperheads have THE SAME hourglass markings as adults EXCEPT they are grey and black....plus often the tip of their tail is chartruese.
copperhead family.jpg

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Looks like a Dakays Brown Snake. If so, they are harmless, and are usually found in leaves hunting worms. If you're ever in a leaf pile and see worms popping to the surface, the Brown Snake will be close behind. They never bite but they will often try to poke you with their tail as a defense. Not fast or hard, they just poke you and wiggle it around a bit.
Joe

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
We find them on our driveway this time of year for some reason. When there are quiet a few pine needles on the drive, if you aren't paying attention, when you walk close enough to them they start wiggling pretty fast(like they can't get traction). Gets you attention. lol. Something killed this one and left it. The red berry is off a dogwood tree. Fairly certain De Kay's/Brown snake.

Attachments

• 20201001_154228.jpg
    20201001_154228.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201001_154207.jpg
    20201001_154207.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
My cousin & I used to turn over the rocks in my grandmother’s back yard looking for them. The older people called them white oak snakes. No idea why.

I will say he was more enthusiastic about trying to catch them than I was.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
We find them on our driveway this time of year for some reason. When there are quiet a few pine needles on the drive, if you aren't paying attention, when you walk close enough to them they start wiggling pretty fast(like they can't get traction). Gets you attention. lol. Something killed this one and left it. The red berry is off a dogwood tree.
View attachment 52464
I always called those pine snakes, but im sure that's not the correct name. We were renovating a landscape in chatham County and we were finding these things by the dozen. I would put a couple handfuls in my pockets and walk by and throw them at the laborers just to seen them freak out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Always called them worm snakes cause they never get much bigger than a worm.

They are harmles, as the others have said.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk