Fox Squirrel Sightings

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Seeing fox squirrels? Post them here with county info. It looks like the numbers are going up where I hunt and they are increasing their range. I saw a hlf dozen on Sat/Sun this weekend in Moore county.

Central Moore county. I have been sharing a powerline right of way with this one since the fall of 2017. It may end up on my wall one day.

<>< Fish

QHyNTLH.jpg

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
Man ol man that’s my buckets list is to go fox squirrel hunting, just the greys here in the WNC

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seeing fox squirrels? Post them here with county info. It looks like the numbers are going up where I hunt and they are increasing their range. I saw a hlf dozen on Sat/Sun this weekend in Moore county.

Central Moore county. I have been sharing a powerline right of way with this one since the fall of 2017. It may end up on my wall one day.

<>< Fish

QHyNTLH.jpg

Had one about that size,with a white stripe come out last year. If I would’ve had a gun, I would’ve been tempted to “bark” him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with catfisher I know where there are two pockets in mtns and I don't tell anyone and I give them a pass just since see so few. The one group only inhabits small acreage I've hunted all around it and never once seen them out that pocket on that hillside
Yep, can name a couple places where they have been over 15 years less than 100 acres they haven’t moved or really flourished. I can’t see the need in putting additional pressure on them.

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
What color fox squirrels y’all seeing. I have Had the pleasure to have one of my dogs tree a white squirrel in brevard years ago. They had a comp hunt up there years ago and I use to go to them.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What color fox squirrels y’all seeing. I have Had the pleasure to have one of my dogs tree a white squirrel in brevard years ago. They had a comp hunt up there years ago and I use to go to them.
That most likely was a white gray squirrel. There are several in that area.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I charge for scouting reports,,,,,,,,,,,

No pretense of scouting was intended.

I have saw a few in places where I haven't saw them before. I was baiting a stand for my father-in-law on Monday and saw a grey/black/white one on a tract that I have hunted for years and never saw a fox squirrel. I also saw one west of Troy, NC this summer while on on the water.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

All color phases. The tract I frequent that has a bunch of them has mainly black/white, grey/red, and few grey/red/fawn colored. I like watching them probably more than I do hunting them.

<>< Fish

4v7uizw.jpg

UceKrwP.jpg

wPMCgQn.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No pretense of scouting was intended.

I have saw a few in places where I haven't saw them before. I was baiting a stand for my father-in-law on Monday and saw a grey/black/white one on a tract that I have hunted for years and never saw a fox squirrel. I also saw one west of Troy, NC this summer while on on the water.

<>< Fish

I was playing

i live in fox squirrel central

seeing one here is a daily occurrence

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I saw two black phase fox squirrels yesterday in south central Moore. They are frequent visitors to the place I hunt there.

<>< Fish

Mink

Button Buck
I’ve seen more on the sides of the 70mph highways this past year than I ever have. A lot in places that don’t look like the usual haunts they like.

I think they love a deer rifle. Lol. Seems I see them most when I’m carrying a 30-06 and it’s always a really sharp or unusual one that id like to have mounted.

Shot plenty so they get a pass from me unless someone with me wants to shoot one to mount, which don’t happen often.