Vintage Doubles

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Surprised no one has mentioned AYA..those are some good old shotguns and are high quality for a good price.
Especially if you could find one of the “Matadors”. Manufactured by AyA for Sears beginning back in the mid 50’s.
Good, solid quality guns with an affordable price.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Especially if you could find one of the “Matadors”. Manufactured by AyA for Sears beginning back in the mid 50’s.
Good, solid quality guns with an affordable price.
That's what I used to dove hunt with..Still in the back of the safe.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's what I used to dove hunt with..Still in the back of the safe.
The only issue I’ve ever heard of people having with them was a very few of them had trigger issues. Other than that, VERY solid reliable guns. You can still find them for <$1000 in good shape

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I’ve got my grandfathers old lefever nitro special. I’d love to have a 20 and 410. The 12’s and 20’s aren’t too pricey comparatively to the other side by sides but 410’s will make a man dig deep in his pockets.
I have a lefever nitro special 22 guage that my granddaddy traded a deer ham for back in the 50s . Best shooting deer gun I ever handled. It no longer shoots and I have taken it to two gunsmith's. It's something to do with the firing pins. I would pay good money for it to be fixed but I don't have a knowledgeable smith near me .

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I have a lefever nitro special 22 guage that my granddaddy traded a deer ham for back in the 50s . Best shooting deer gun I ever handled. It no longer shoots and I have taken it to two gunsmith's. It's something to do with the firing pins. I would pay good money for it to be fixed but I don't have a knowledgeable smith near me .
12 guage

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

Here’s my grandfather with the lefever. When he passed away, all the sons and grandsons got to pick a gun in order of age. I chose the lefever because I have the pics. . I think it’s pretty cool to have the gun in the pictures I have framed. My dad is on the left in the pic with my grandfather and two boys. I also have the A5 my dad is holding.
85943687-0360-481F-B2E9-D9DA0D67C91C.jpegC714557A-24D0-4BE2-85D1-4B33A600BAB6.jpegB25651B7-5570-40C0-B46C-95521D51A5BE.jpeg

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Here’s my grandfather with the lefever. When he passed away, all the sons and grandsons got to pick a gun in order of age. I chose the lefever because I have the pics. . I think it’s pretty cool to have the gun in the pictures I have framed. My dad is on the left in the pic with my grandfather and two boys. I also have the A5 my dad is holding.
View attachment 52349View attachment 52350View attachment 52351
That is the coolest thing I have seen in a while. Thanks for sharing.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Very nice , I love those old hunting photos, I also have an A5 he owed. Planning on running a few number four buck shot through it Saturday

dbcrowbar

Six Pointer
there is a nice lefever on GoWilkes for sale. I lucked up a few weeks ago and picked a nice 410 ' it has Revelation on the side looks just like a Stevens

dbcrowbar

Six Pointer
Thiught it had to have been made by them, just hadn't checked it out. I looked for 2 or 3 years for a stevens and couldn't find 1 i could aford. ran across this 1 a while back at a decient price

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thiught it had to have been made by them, just hadn't checked it out. I looked for 2 or 3 years for a stevens and couldn't find 1 i could aford. ran across this 1 a while back at a decient price
There were several “store brand” sxs made by Stevens. I have a Western Field from Montgomery Ward that’s for all intents and purposes a Stevens 311A

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
That is awesome. I have my grandpas 38spl, his 22, and his 30-30 and I would love to have had some photos of him with any of those guns

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
I dont know if anyone has mentioned the Ithaca doubles, but they are great guns and fairly plentiful in 16 gauge. They usually arent terribly expensive compared to other U.S. makes.
Ithaca was also the maker of the LeFever Nitro Specials.

Heres a pic of my Nitro Special...20180707_145601.jpg

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
The store brand guns are really coming into their own when found in nice shape. Heres an old Montgomery Wards "Herculese" 12 gauge hammer double20200208_202800.jpg

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Growing up I always wanted an LC Smith double, but could not afford one. Finally pulled the trigger (double trigger, actually) a couple years ago, found one that I wanted at Greentop. Really cool gun, and different in two ways: (1) it is factory 26" IC/Mod, which is unusual in a gun of that era. (2) has the 3 position safety. Safety on in center position, off in forward and will reset to on when break it open, OR off when moved to back position, and will stay off when you break it. That was an LC Smith option specifically for pigeon shooters.
My Featherweight has that same safety arrangement. Now all I need is a firing pin.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If we ever get to have another gun show I will be there looking for a 16 guage double.
Mackey's has one, a Lefever Nitro Special. IIRC it was priced $895, but I think it qualifies for their 10% off from that, and which would also include taxes. So it would be in the neighborhood of $805. Looked OK, no pad added.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Mackey's has one, a Lefever Nitro Special. IIRC it was priced $895, but I think it qualifies for their 10% off from that, and which would also include taxes. So it would be in the neighborhood of $805. Looked OK, no pad added.
Thanks. I will be up that way next week.