Vintage Doubles

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been looking to get an older SxS and am still trying to figure out what exactly I want. Looking at guns like Parker, LC Smith, Fox and Lefever. Are there any brands that have common known issues I should look out for, or any reason to buy one brand over another (besides price and looks)? I’m looking for a 16ga for upland and light waterfowling, really after 28” barrels IC/Mod.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
If you are on CSF talk to Type44. He can give you all the info you need and may even have a shotgun that meets your description for sale.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The big thing to stay away from is the Damascus twist barrels. Pretty to look at but unsafe with modern ammo. I have my great grandfathers 1912, 12 gauge Ithaca that he bought new. It's modern ammo safe, and a nice shooter but rough on the shoulder. I've been meaning to find some lighter loads for it and dig her out of the safe. Maybe someday I'll be able to find some.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
The big thing to stay away from is the Damascus twist barrels. Pretty to look at but unsafe with modern ammo. I have my great grandfathers 1912, 12 gauge Ithaca that he bought new. It's a nice shooter but rough on the shoulder. I've been meaning to find some lighter loads for it and dig her out of the safe. Maybe someday I'll be able to find some.

600jr and make your own. I have a ton of once fired AAHS hulls and will give you 100 to get you started.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Also, mid south guns is a great resource. Don't know what your budget is though. I know they broker some stuff that cost equivalent is the same as an older Lamborghini.
I’ve heard good stuff about them, it’s about 4 hours from me but would love to go by sometime. I figure whatever I end up with is going to be pricey, and my wife actually gave me the go-ahead!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I’ve heard good stuff about them, it’s about 4 hours from me but would love to go by sometime. I figure whatever I end up with is going to be pricey, and my wife actually gave me the go-ahead!

I’ll assume you didn’t tell her an avg. cost in getting that go ahead did ya? 😉

Seriously, I’m not a vintage gun person but I’m sure Phillip at Mid South Guns has a wide variety of them. Place is incredible, well worth the trip. Call him first and get a feel for what he has/cost before going but again, it’s one of those places you walk into and walk out either in awe or a firearm under your arm! Have fun-good luck.

Hoss

Eight Pointer
Most parts are still available for LC Smith. I would stay away form the single triggers as they are difficult to repair if you have problems.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Growing up I always wanted an LC Smith double, but could not afford one. Finally pulled the trigger (double trigger, actually) a couple years ago, found one that I wanted at Greentop. Really cool gun, and different in two ways: (1) it is factory 26" IC/Mod, which is unusual in a gun of that era. (2) has the 3 position safety. Safety on in center position, off in forward and will reset to on when break it open, OR off when moved to back position, and will stay off when you break it. That was an LC Smith option specifically for pigeon shooters.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’m gonna bet he didn’t... and if he did he assuredly left out the fact that some vintage sxs’s cost more than a new car... 😂😂
I told her the price range... the low-ish end of the spectrum anyways. If I told her I was looking at guns that cost more than we paid for her new car last year I’d be kicked out on the streets haha

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Mackeys in Jamesville had a few last time I was in there too.
Place got 2 acres of guns under 1 roof!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I told her the price range... the low-ish end of the spectrum anyways. If I told her I was looking at guns that cost more than we paid for her new car last year I’d be kicked out on the streets haha

One of my knuckleheaded buddies actually told my wife what I paid for a custom rifle I have, a Kenny Jarrett Beanfield Rifle, she hit the roof!!!! Never mind the fact that I've had that rifle longer than I've even known her...LOL!!!
It didn't cost as much as a new car either... only as much as a nice used one at the time😁😁😁

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
One of my knuckleheaded buddies actually told my wife what I paid for a custom rifle I have, a Kenny Jarrett Beanfield Rifle, she hit the roof!!!! Never mind the fact that I've had that rifle longer than I've even known her...LOL!!!
It didn't cost as much as a new car either... only as much as a nice used one at the time😁😁😁

sweet rifle,,,

and on cost,,,just buy her a ring/peice of jewelry that is MORE expensive than any rifle you'd buy,,,,then you're covered

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
sweet rifle,,,

and on cost,,,just buy her a ring/peice of jewelry that is MORE expensive than any rifle you'd buy,,,,then you're covered
I wish!!!
I kind of want another Jarrett, but to build one like I want would certainly be in the $15K range.... with kids, a land purchase with a house build currently in the works, that is certainly a pipe dream at this point. I do good to afford $500 jewelry, let alone $15K jewelry... LOL!!!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve got my grandfathers old lefever nitro special. I’d love to have a 20 and 410. The 12’s and 20’s aren’t too pricey comparatively to the other side by sides but 410’s will make a man dig deep in his pockets.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
We just had a Fox B 20 gauge restored. It belonged to my wife's great grandfather, so we are thinking it is at least 75 years old. I also have a Fox B in 12 gauge so of course next step is a 16. Love the old double guns.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Surprised no one has mentioned AYA..those are some good old shotguns and are high quality for a good price.