Blue Tongue...EHD

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I'm hearing they are getting it near NC mountains. Haven't heard of any here in the east yet.

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
When we got corn the last week the guy told us that they've been seeing a lot of blue tongue in that Stone Mountain area. Hopefully it doesn't get as bad as it was several years ago. Also, a friend of mine up in Lowgap said that when their fields got planted they found 5 dead deer. 2 bucks and 3 does. They also pulled a huge buck from the pond.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I found a doe dead beside the creek here in Guilford with no obvious signs of trauma. Not sure what it could have been.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
When we got corn the last week the guy told us that they've been seeing a lot of blue tongue in that Stone Mountain area. Hopefully it doesn't get as bad as it was several years ago. Also, a friend of mine up in Lowgap said that when their fields got planted they found 5 dead deer. 2 bucks and 3 does. They also pulled a huge buck from the pond.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I heard that area and Elkin were getting hit

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A few years ago the wife and I went through the park expecting to see the familiar herds of deer running to the car for apples...not a single deer. The smell of dead flesh was near every creek and every drain under the road. The past several trips through the park we were lucky to see one or two deer, so the population can't be nearly what it once was.
EHD is a bad one, it takes out not only the old and tired deer but the young healthy ones as well.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My wife and I rode thru Stone Mtn last Saturday evening. Between 7:30 and dark we saw 47 deer. We did not smell any dead deer.
There are way too many deer in that small spot, they need to do some draw/control hunts in there, to not do it is just bad management.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Seems in parks where they're not hunted, disease takes its toll. Maybe a management plan needs to be implemented.

It really doesn't matter with EHD. If the midges have the virus and bite the deer and they aren't immune, they get it. A guy lost several last year in a deer pen near me, including his best buck. We had it bad in 2011 & 2014. Been lucky since, but we are due again. A good EHD article about midges and EHD. https://www.qdma.com/can-prevent-ehd/#:~:text=Meet the Midge,fly with the big bite.

Last edited:

timber

Twelve Pointer
Not sure if Ehd is happening more often or people are just more aware of it. We have had 2 big outbreaks of it in the last 20 years. Last years some seem to think there was some but the areas affected were spotty. From what i have seen it seems to effect mainly older mature deer.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I ask bout tongue checking cuz that is the 2nd thing we are sposd to do after flipping over the carcass inspecting for trauma.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My wife and I rode thru Stone Mtn last Saturday evening. Between 7:30 and dark we saw 47 deer. We did not smell any dead deer.
There are way too many deer in that small spot, they need to do some draw/control hunts in there, to not do it is just bad management.
I sure hope it doesn't hit that area like last time lost lot deer ivquit hinting Thurmond Chatham for few years lack of sign and sure didn't want take doe out they got hammered

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I ask bout tongue checking cuz that is the 2nd thing we are sposd to do after flipping over the carcass inspecting for trauma.
Do you know if the tongue stays blue for days after the deer dies? Or do you just check obviously fresh carcasses?
I've never heard this before so I'd like to know what to report if I'm unlucky enough to find one.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
and you checked their tongues?
Nope. Just made a simple statement that I found two dead deer by a creek in Stone mountain.

Generally speaking, most deer with EHD die near water. I could postulate that these deer died from EHD, based on knowledge of the disease, time of year and proximity to water. But without testing them, one will never know for sure.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Just heard some significant dead deer findings in Stone Mountain area. I have multiple deer on camera in Alleghany that are skin and bones. Not looking good.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Nope. Just made a simple statement that I found two dead deer by a creek in Stone mountain.

Generally speaking, most deer with EHD die near water. I could postulate that these deer died from EHD, based on knowledge of the disease, time of year and proximity to water. But without testing them, one will never know for sure.
fair enough, and I asked a simple question, in case you did happen to check em out.

Many wounded deer also die near/in water IME, arrow/bullet holes, etc. Granted its poaching season with guns only right now.

I'm not trying to start a peeing contest here, just educate others.
Blue tongue and trauma both put deer near water often, until they die.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
fair enough, and I asked a simple question, in case you did happen to check em out.

Many wounded deer also die near/in water IME, arrow/bullet holes, etc. Granted its poaching season with guns only right now.

I'm not trying to start a peeing contest here, just educate others.
Blue tongue and trauma both put deer near water often, until they die.
I understand, no pissing contest here. Just clarifying myself for the benefit of others.

m75rlg

Spike
Found this one just outside my yard Saturday. Still alive and bleeting occasionally when these photos taken. No visable trauma but unable to do much more than tremble when I approached. Body in good condition and she had been nursing a fawn or fawns recently. Coat very thin with some raw, rubbed places.

Contacted the district biologist. He sent an enforcement officer to get samples from her. She was dead when they arrived, so they took her head. Biologist was concerned because of recent rabies case in a deer in Cherokee County and of course worried about CWD. Hope that it is just an isolated EHD case.

Attachments

• KIMG0274.JPG
    KIMG0274.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 28
  • KIMG0275.JPG
    KIMG0275.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 31
  • KIMG0277.JPG
    KIMG0277.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 31
  • KIMG0276.JPG
    KIMG0276.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 31

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Just heard some significant dead deer findings in Stone Mountain area. I have multiple deer on camera in Alleghany that are skin and bones. Not looking good.

Yes, that's the way they look when they get it. Several years ago I passed a buck during muzzleloader that had a nice rack, but tiny body and all bones. He was killed later in the season by a member's kid. The buck's hooves were flaked and he had survived EHD. Only weighed 115 lbs.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
did you check her tongue?
No sir...she was laying in a field on the neighbors property next to our pond. Spotted the buzzards while filling up the lawnmower with gas and sent my son to investigate...he held his nose and I took his word for it. If she was hit by a car she traveled a good 800 yards to get there.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I'm hearing they are getting it near NC mountains. Haven't heard of any here in the east yet.
God i hope we dont. had a bad wave of that stuff 5-6 years ago and its my belief that the herd is just getting back to its strenght from it

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Found two mature does on our property in Yadkin county first part of the month. One in the creek and one in the pond spillway.

hitman6397

Old Mossy Horns
Found a doe dead by the river in Chatham last week. No signs of any wounds. Not saying its EHD but its the first time I have seen anything like that.