I need two trucks

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
My dad bought a new 73 Dodge Club Cab long bed and put a camper shell on it. We hauled two canoes on top strapped down. Unloading one day he dropped his end on the cab of the truck which caused me to drop my end. Fearing a a$s whopping, I looked at him in fear, he started laughing. He said he was happy it happened because now the wait for it to happen was over.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
In the day of $100,000 trucks, I’ll just say that a clean truck lasts longer. Keep it clean and you will notice the little things that need attention before they become bigger issues. My truck is very near 25 years old and dads is closing in on 35 years old. Both well over 250,000 miles.
You’re only having little issues because you don’t drive the thing, not because of cleaning 😂😂😂

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't blame the OP, I don't take my truck offroad for two reasons. First because I don't want to replace it anytime soon and second, the sumbuck will get stuck on wet grass! So I have two trucks, a decent one for work/pleasure and a beater...well, for beating up!

I bought an old 90 Isuzu Amigo 4x4 to go where I don't want to put the Ram. Hunting, backing my little boat down a creek bank, etc. It's a strong little rascal, it'll go just about any place a four wheeler will go and run down the highway. And if it don't make it back out in one piece I've lost just about the equivalent of a set of Michelins......

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I know a guy that had a lifted tacoma with 35" MUD tires walk an extra 300 yards to fish one day.... Won't even that bad of mud. Coulda drove my wife's camry in there

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I know a guy that had a lifted tacoma with 35" MUD tires walk an extra 300 yards to fish one day.... Won't even that bad of mud. Coulda drove my wife's camry in there
I've seen stuff like that as well as parking odd in parking area afraid tree limb might fall on it taking up 3 spots. My 2 cents is you paying for it do as you please with it but mine is gonna get roughed up and dirty its 2004 with 230,000 miles and gas had very little issues being dirty for 16 years I got my money plus out this one she's allergic to soap😁

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not my current truck but this was a few years ago after a rain on some previously dusty KS dirt roads. I have hauled several cubic feet of KS/NE back to NC over the years but sometimes it is so bad I take it to a car wash out there to knock the rough stuff off.
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG

It has definitely been worse than the above but I do not seem to have any pics of the really bad times.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If it’s 2WD.... it ain’t a truck... it’s just a car with an open cargo area....

🦆

heck no,,,,although my vehicles the last bunch of years have been 4x4 they aren't always needed,,,,I drove the first 20 years of my adult life with 2 wheel drive trucks doing truck things,,,the 4x4 was a CJ-5,,,,

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
heck no,,,,although my vehicles the last bunch of years have been 4x4 they aren't always needed,,,,I drove the first 20 years of my adult life with 2 wheel drive trucks doing truck things,,,the 4x4 was a CJ-5,,,,
I can certainly understand the sentiment, my comment was mostly in jest, I’ve owned 2WD trucks in the past myself. However nowadays I use the 4x4 on my truck weekly, so I’ll not own one that isn’t 4x4 any more.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I wax my vehicles twice a year. I like keeping the exterior paint looking good. Just got rid of a 12 year old vehicle with the paint looking just about as good as the day I bought it.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
My car is my truck, but better than a truck, at least for me. Good gas mileage, has some zip if I need to hoof it down the road, and I can put beaver and whatnot in the trunk. :D Someone has to hunt and trap out of a car on this forum!

I've driven it on game land roads. It has good tires now, but if I need to "off-road" on public land, I park the car and get out and walk.

I pretty much let the rain wash the dirt, mud, etc off.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My car is my truck, but better than a truck, at least for me. Good gas mileage, has some zip if I need to hoof it down the road, and I can put beaver and whatnot in the trunk. :D Someone has to hunt and trap out of a car on this forum!

I've driven it on game land roads. It has good tires now, but if I need to "off-road" on public land, I park the car and get out and walk.

heck my father in law (RIP) put his coonhounds and beagles in the backseat of the car in the days before he started working for himself and got a truck,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Let us know how you like the smell of 10 day old deer blood wafting out of the trunk in the morning.

Way back when we only had cars as work vehicles. If we took an animal it went in the truck. Back then we had a list of needy families so in the trunk it went and I would take it to them. It was almost funny to see the look on peoples face when I would put them in the back seat of my car to about the end of Dec. LOL

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Used to use the wife's old Civic to check cows because it was cheaper to drive. Kept essential farm supplies in the trunk.

I don't buy vehicles to maintain for next person. I maintain them for me and when they get to a point of not being cost effective, they die and I buy another one.

Like the saying about keeping low mileage... Nah I'll keep that to myself.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I only wash my vehicle if I'm on the clock at work and I'm bored, which is rare, that goes for my truck and car. My wife cleans and washes my car as well as her own car when she gets bored at home.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Not trying to brag(g), but I did spend the '87 season hunting out of a '71 Gran Torino touring the dirt roads and firebreaks of Ft. Bragg. I did dent the oil pan on some deeply rutted roads that required a little extra speed to get through. Still don't know why they didn't install skid plates on those things? Never owned a 2wd truck, I live by the mantra "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had never had a 2wd until I had a 2wd work truck. 2wd with a locking rear is not a bad setup. I had to be mindful but it never was stuck. Drove and towed better than any I have ever had.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an uncle (by marriage) who used to take pristine care of his trucks...so much so, that if he and ANY kind of "truck duty" work that needed done, he try to borrow one from someone else.
I do have two trucks. A '93 Toyota beater for every day use, and a 2005 F150 for long drives and heavy loads. The F150 has been used a LOT more this summer, because the Toyota does not have a working AC. I use my trucks, but I don't abuse them.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have an uncle (by marriage) who used to take pristine care of his trucks...so much so, that if he and ANY kind of "truck duty" work that needed done, he try to borrow one from someone else.
I do have two trucks. A '93 Toyota beater for every day use, and a 2005 F150 for long drives and heavy loads. The F150 has been used a LOT more this summer, because the Toyota does not have a working AC. I use my trucks, but I don't abuse them.
Like so many have pointed out, I have multiple vehicles, guns and boats for multiple uses. 2016 Tundra 4X4 Crew cab for my nice comfortable I need to drive 7 hours to Tennessee or haul my 73' 20CC Mako boat to the coast or haul my tractors on tandem axle trailer for food plot work in Virginia. Its got plenty of scratches and some days you can grow corn from the mud from waders. I wash and wax and detail once a year and Ill hit it with the hose if i get alot of mud on it but its a fricking truck doing truck things.
Got my 93 Yota on 35s 4x4 22re 150 HP to drive virtually anywhere you can drive a SXS and it has AC. I can drive that thing across a flooded bottom plowed field cause it floats over most of the mud where those boys with them F250s or 2500s sink em to the window sills. HP ain't nothing if its sitting on the frame rails! Down through a skidder trail on a 5 year cutover or alot of places you cant take a normal sized truck. Only problem with it is if if you got two people and you put 3 bags of fertilizer in the bed of it you have to drive in 4th gear cause it just ain't got no HP.

Got 2 4 runners one is the 05 V8 to drive with the dogs and people but it doesn't go off road much unless Im trout fishing in the mountains and I have lockable storage inside for my extra rods waders etc... I couldn't leave in a truck.

My 2000 4x4 4 runner was what I bought my son when he was 15 YO. Bought it with $5800 and 115000 miles and put about $250 of used mud flaps, running tubes, and kid stuff. We went halves on it so he took care of it. It survived high school and College at Western Carolina Univ. with a lot off "excursions" into Nantahala, Pisgah, and GSNP and it has close to 300K miles now. I got it back a few years ago when he bought a newer Yota and has a company truck he can drive anywhere. Its my when it snows or floods and I put it into a ditch, I'll pull the tag, endorse the title, lay the keys on the dash and call someone to pick me up truck, cause I got my $6000 out of it a long time ago. Its had dead deer, a bear, lots of turkey and more fish than you can count so it has a certain funk to it but my wife will drive it when the weathers crappy.