Moved Christians and Dems

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
no Sir, and I didn't say you did - but you did quote Justin, who was asking why one should believe what's in the Bible and you said "faith"
and since the bible is the basis of christians (and some others) that is why I asked on the "faith",,,,since other religions don't use it, or use it only in conjunction with other texts and teachings,,,,

nothing more

I understand.

I don’t put much stock in religion.
Religion kills people in its name. Religion shuns those who don’t feel the same.

I also don’t put much stock in any particular denomination.
And while I have heard sermons from gifted individuals, I don’t believe I need a man to orchestrate my relationship with God.

Back to faith.
Faith is personal. It involves me and God.

As to your earlier point.
Of course I don’t believe a political party affiliation dictates a persons Christianity.
And completely agree. Lots of those who claim to be religious sure don’t seem spiritual.

But then. I also believe that’s Christians have done more damage to the “church” than atheists ever have.

Unpopular opinion but that’s mine.

Sorry to ramble.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
What I find interesting is taking a collection of written “journals” from thousands of years ago, for face value, and basing your whole existence off what they tell you to do....or what the voices they heard, tell you to do.

Imagine today, some scraggly sheep herder up in Haywood County, coming down off the mountain and being like “look, I was up on the mountain, tending my sheep, and I heard this voice...you ain’t gonna believe it but I turned around and there was this bush, on fire, and it said ‘look in here at me, I’m God, aint no time to explain really, but I need you to run over to Africa and get my people out of *insert country/region undergoing Christian persecution* and bring em back to North Carolina, land of cheer wine and barbecue’.... and I looked at that bush, I mean God, and said ‘me? Why me?’.....”

I mean, what would you honestly think? Did Gods teachings about how to be a Christian end with the book of Revelations? Does He no longer come and speak to individuals, to command the whole, through one person like He did thousands of years ago?

Can He not change his mind? If someone told you “God told me the whole Jesus thing didn’t work as planned. He changed his mind. He told me to tell you we were gonna do this whole Noah 2.0 thing and try to fix this one mo’-agin..... you in or out?” What are you going to do? Who are you to question him if he says God told him? Why is it not possible that he spoke to said person the same way he Spoke to Moses, Noah, Abraham, or sent the Angel Gabriel to Mary? Why are we to believe stuff that’s been written thousands of years ago, translated as best as possible, before knowledge of science as we know it today, but not what someone today tells us God told them?

Im with @woodmoose on this one. I believe in “God” but I’m having a tough time believing verbatim what’s in the Bible
1. God promised to never flood the whole earth again. He keeps His Word.
2. The idea that we are much more advanced than they were thousands of years ago is erroneous and ignorant. Yes there have been some advancements BUT in other things we have declined. Example, shut off the water and power supplies tomorrow for 1month. OR have the best contractors of the world go build Egyptian pyramids without any modern day equipment.

MOST OF ALL... I have a question.... let’s say you are right... then who gets to decide what is right or wrong? Whoever that is ... you may not admit it BUT you are equaling them to God (Supremacy)

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
all religious people have "faith",,,
  • christians
  • catholics
  • Jews
  • Muslims
  • Hindus
  • Sikhs
  • Pagans
  • Bahá'í Faith (actually a good one for what they teach - that ALL religions have relevance)
  • Native American Indian religions
  • Other indigenous religions
  • etc ad infinitude

all have "faith",,,so why are they wrong??

--------------

and back on task - Lots of Dems claim religion,,,lots of republicans claim religion,,,,how many are actually spiritual?
Because they can’t all be correct... as they contradict one another.

Faith is the force/method.... Jesus is the means in which faith must be placed

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I understand.

I don’t put much stock in religion.
Religion kills people in its name. Religion shuns those who don’t feel the same.

I also don’t put much stock in any particular denomination.
And while I have heard sermons from gifted individuals, I don’t believe I need a man to orchestrate my relationship with God.

Back to faith.
Faith is personal. It involves me and God.

As to your earlier point.
Of course I don’t believe a political party affiliation dictates a persons Christianity.
And completely agree. Lots of those who claim to be religious sure don’t seem spiritual.

But then. I also believe that’s Christians have done more damage to the “church” than atheists ever have.

Unpopular opinion but that’s mine.

Sorry to ramble.

were is that clapping emoji,,,,

agreed,,,,

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
1. God promised to never flood the whole earth again. He keeps His Word.
2. The idea that we are much more advanced than they were thousands of years ago is erroneous and ignorant. Yes there have been some advancements BUT in other things we have declined. Example, shut off the water and power supplies tomorrow for 1month. OR have the best contractors of the world go build Egyptian pyramids without any modern day equipment.

MOST OF ALL... I have a question.... let’s say you are right... then who gets to decide what is right or wrong? Whoever that is ... you may not admit it BUT you are equaling them to God (Supremacy)

1. ok, modern day version, a space ship and send us into orbit while the earth is demolished via means other than flood.... you’re splitting hairs on the larger point

2. never said we were more advanced, only we know more about certain things other than just explaining everything as an Act of God.

who got to decide that what Moses said was right, or what anyone else that God spoke through was right? I’m just saying you’re taking someone at their word for a large portion of things that can’t be proven right or wrong readily.... why have we stopped doing that?

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Miracles were used to confirm prophecy or "rightness" of what the person was saying. For example, when Moses told Pharoh to let his people go and then he dropped his staff and it turned into a snake.... it confirmed the authority of which Moses spoke.

The means of salvation (Jesus) has come and John's revelation has as well. I don't think there is any new information left to come from God, but if their was it would be confirmed by miracles imo.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
1. ok, modern day version, a space ship and send us into orbit while the earth is demolished via means other than flood.... you’re splitting hairs on the larger point

2. never said we were more advanced, only we know more about certain things other than just explaining everything as an Act of God.

who got to decide that what Moses said was right, or what anyone else that God spoke through was right? I’m just saying you’re taking someone at their word for a large portion of things that can’t be proven right or wrong readily.... why have we stopped doing that?
People have always questioned and not took people at their word... and rightfully so

Jesus wasn’t the only one to claim to be the Messiah BUT He is the only one who changed time BC/AD... and although you may find that insignificant... I think it’s very significant

Why out of all messiah claimers... did Jesus have such an impact... UNLESS He was/is who He said He is

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
BUT He is the only one who changed time BC/AD.

Jesus didn't develop BC/AD,,,,Man did,,,and not really until 500+ years after Jesus was gone,,,,it was/is a basis for measuring,,,just as all the other methods had their basis

so again, using a man made construct to justify seems strange to me,,,,

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Jesus didn't develop BC/AD,,,,Man did,,,and not really until 500+ years after Jesus was gone,,,,it was/is a basis for measuring,,,just as all the other methods had their basis

so again, using a man made construct to justify seems strange to me,,,,
It honestly means very little to me...

Truth is all other religions end without hope... just as Peter had a moment... I’ve been there also

“Where else shall we go Lord? You hold the words of eternal life”

Without Jesus .. this world is a sick joke

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Truth is all other religions end without hope..

negative,,,,most, if not all, end well - where do you get they don't? Which one ends without hope (other than the weird to me satan worshippers),,,,

-----------------

and to stay on track,,,,,

Dems are often Southern Baptists and such - what about them????

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
negative,,,,most, if not all, end well - where do you get they don't? Which one ends without hope (other than the weird to me satan worshippers),,,,

-----------------

and to stay on track,,,,,

Dems are often Southern Baptists and such - what about them????
All ideas of God basically come down to 4 categories... BUT to be specific on current majors

Buddhism and Hinduism is hopeless... constantly looking to come to a place of no enlightenment or at least the escape of reality and existence aka Nirvana ( leads to very high suicide rates, demoralizes and demeans human life)

Mormonism = essentially says “Man is God “ at least can attain Godhood by works (It focuses on mankind)... and it hypocritical as the founder Joseph Smith said “Christians are the biggest whoremongers of all time”... yet today they try to claim they are Christian

Catholicism = focuses on Virgin birth and the Church’s priesthood authority. Leads to legalism and High Religion (man focuses)

Islam = seeks to attain heaven similar to Christians BUT very different in the sense of its strict rituals and radical violent teachings of Muhammad in the Qu’ran

Bible/Jesus = taught eternal life is to Know God the Father and Jesus His Son...who can disagree with 10 commandments As a basis for morals and society?? Most of all, who can deny that we fail miserably at them as individuals if not in action BUT in thought and heart? Yet we are destined for this endless cycle of sin and punishment before the Almighty for it UNLESS there is a Savior... Jesus took our place!

As far as all the different denominations (even SBC... they are all man made. Large in part they divided over minute teachings of Christ and often by trying to put God in a box.)

Ps I know ZERO Southern Baptist who are Democrats....btw there are over 200 types of Baptist

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I hate religion and so did Jesus. A relationship with Jesus Christ is the answer, not religion.

Why is Christianity different from other "religions"? All the other Gods worshipped are dead, Christ is alive. He defeated death and the grave, the others are buried in a tomb somewhere. Why would anyone want to worship a dead guy? LOL

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I hate religion and so did Jesus. A relationship with Jesus Christ is the answer, not religion.

Why is Christianity different from other "religions"? All the other Gods worshipped are dead, Christ is alive. He defeated death and the grave, the others are buried in a tomb somewhere. Why would anyone want to worship a dead guy? LOL
And Buddha was a fat man!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

interesting,,,,

always thought Jesus was the "son of God",,,,now you say he is God - or at least what you wrote alludes to that

and yes,,,I am well aware of the concept of the Trinity

God is not "dead" in other religions,,,their prophets and saints may be,,,but so are the prophets and saints of christianity

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I hate religion and so did Jesus.

Yes Jesus did - he needed no church building, no documents, no judgement

But you saying you "hate religion" - interesting to me based on what you have posted in the past - my mistake that I assumed you ID'd with and enjoyed the Christian faith

------------------

and yes, I expect many Dems think they are Christians

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Muhammad originally thought it was demonic forces that gave him the visions BUT his wife convinced him it was from God

well he was just a Man,,,simple mistake to make (see @Justin 's post earlier on prophets) I expect,,,,especially in those days of Old when God was rip roaring around with floods, fires, and speaking directly to man,,,,

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
well he was just a Man,,,simple mistake to make (see @Justin 's post earlier on prophets) I expect,,,,especially in those days of Old when God was rip roaring around with floods, fires, and speaking directly to man,,,,
Do you believe any major history points outside of religion?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Yes I do,,,
and I actually see many religions (outside of the REAL loony ones) and religious texts as GREAT historical sources,,,,

why?
My point is believing things from the past (that we didn’t witness) also takes faith to believe in

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My point is believing things from the past (that we didn’t witness) also takes faith to believe in

no, not really "faith" as a historian uses multiple primary sources to verify a data point,,,,

single sources are just a data point that may or may not have truth, but is used to inform as other data points come in,,,

The bible isn't really a primary source as all of the writings come from other sources and translations

but yes, some historical items are faith so to speak, but when it's not proven it is not treated as the only answer,,,,

that is the difference between history and religion

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Yes Jesus did - he needed no church building, no documents, no judgement

But you saying you "hate religion" - interesting to me based on what you have posted in the past - my mistake that I assumed you ID'd with and enjoyed the Christian faith

------------------

and yes, I expect many Dems think they are Christians
I hate religion the same as Jesus did when He scolded the Pharisees. Religion is all about man made rules, rituals, and objects. The term "religious" is often referred to as believing in the Christian faith and used in that context as an adjective describing ones faith. I don't have religion I have a relationship, huge difference. Yes, I do enjoy living with that relationship because that relationship is the reason for my faith, not religion. Make sense?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I hate religion the same as Jesus did when He scolded the Pharisees. Religion is all about man made rules, rituals, and objects. The term "religious" is often referred to as believing in the Christian faith and used in that context as an adjective describing ones faith. I don't have religion I have a relationship, huge difference. Yes, I do enjoy living with that relationship because that relationship is the reason for my faith, not religion. Make sense?

yeap, thank you

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will also add that I am fascinated with American Indian Culture and can relate in many ways as an outdoorsman and a family lineage of the Cherokees BUT there religion was pagan
Pagan or not they are still held to the same standard as all others...Yet I'm not sure that their showing respect to the land, water, wind and fire were "worship" in the same sense as "worshiping God".