Which barrel 870 Express 12ga

court2005

Four Pointer
I have an 870 express 12ga with a 28” barrel on it. I want to buy an 18” barrel for home defense. Any recommendation on where to get one or if anyone on here has an extra one laying around for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gesthuntn

Spike
I had one and tried a aftermarket barrel. Very hard to get in the receiver. I bought one straight from Remington and it worked fine. I would call Remington and order one. You might pay a little more up front but will save in the long run.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wanted a shorter barrel for turkeys on mine. I ended up buying a used gun on here for $20 more than the barrel cost from Remington. Swapped the barrels on the two guns and now I’ve got an extra gun. Unless you’re never going to use the 28” barrel, I’d just buy the whole gun. Barrels are overpriced.

court2005

Four Pointer
I wanted a shorter barrel for turkeys on mine. I ended up buying a used gun on here for $20 more than the barrel cost from Remington. Swapped the barrels on the two guns and now I’ve got an extra gun. Unless you’re never going to use the 28” barrel, I’d just buy the whole gun. Barrels are overpriced.

Good idea, will start looking around

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just cut the barrel off.

If you still have a need for a 28" then look a new gun.
Used you can find them for 200 to 225 most the time.
A good barrel will cost about 150 to 175 most the time.

New gun can ba had for 279 to 300 and they have rebates all the time.

court2005

Four Pointer
Just cut the barrel off.

If you still have a need for a 28" then look a new gun.
Used you can find them for 200 to 225 most the time.
A good barrel will cost about 150 to 175 most the time.

New gun can ba had for 279 to 300 and they have rebates all the time.

I still want the 28” barrel for bird hunting purposes. Just wanted a shorter barrel to have on around the house. May look and see what I can get a compete gun for with shorter barrel.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
gun show may be worth looking at... I haven't checked any out lately,
but would think $100 offer may get taken.
Raleigh fairgrounds this weekend

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I still want the 28” barrel for bird hunting purposes. Just wanted a shorter barrel to have on around the house. May look and see what I can get a compete gun for with shorter barrel.

One thing I have seen. People get bitten changing back from short to long.
They go dove or duck hunt and find they do not have a plug.

If you do pick that way tape the plug to the barrel so you do not forget.
Shotguns can be a hard find now in shorter barrels. Most shops are out.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Use pepper spray and solid Jabs. Maybe a pistol. A shot gun is going to make a mess man. You don’t want to clean up after a shotgun inside your home.
Now if you shoot them running away a shot gun is a good choice. But then I would recommend a 28” barrel. [emoji1]

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Those being used may be old police barrels. They get beat up. Have got them in the past.

But warning, they are one month behind or more on any order. I have been waiting 6 weeks now and not shipped.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Here's an option to consider; A 21" vent-rib barrel with chokes.

I adopted this barrel as my "all-purpose" length (870 and 11-87) years ago and have never looked back. I sold my 28" barrel on ebay for a very decent price which off-set the cost of the new barrel quite a bit.

This isn't the best price I've seen but they are very hard to find: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003746192?pid=399781

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
May end up doing the same down the road. Had one and hate I ever sold it.
Most my 870 barrels now are the 20 inch HD and rifle sight. No choke tubes.
Wish I had a pump with a short 20 and tubes. My Benelli has a 24. I use that a bunch for birds.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Love my shorties. Have a 20" Ithaca Deerslayer 20 ga, a 20" youth 870 20 ga with tubes, and a 21" 870 12 ga with tubes.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You can pick one up from Remington if you are willing to pay. Midway USA, Brownell's, etc. have them on backorder for less.

I have an 870 Express Magnum with a 28" barrel with Rem Chokes that came with the gun, a 23" turkey barrel with Rem Chokes that I bought straight from Remington, and an 18" cylinder-bore plain barrel that I bought from someone on this forum for $100. I plan to pick up a rifled barrel with a cantilever mount for a scope soon.

It's truly the do-almost-everything firearm, and if I could only have one gun in my possession, this would be it.

Last edited:

court2005

Four Pointer
One thing I have seen. People get bitten changing back from short to long.
They go dove or duck hunt and find they do not have a plug.

If you do pick that way tape the plug to the barrel so you do not forget.
Shotguns can be a hard find now in shorter barrels. Most shops are out.

Smart idea! Thanks

court2005

Four Pointer
Use pepper spray and solid Jabs. Maybe a pistol. A shot gun is going to make a mess man. You don’t want to clean up after a shotgun inside your home.
Now if you shoot them running away a shot gun is a good choice. But then I would recommend a 28” barrel. [emoji1]

I don’t care how big a mess as long and my wife and I make it out safely. I just want to make sure the threat is down. Buckshot sounds better to me in the middle of the night. Not to mention the neighborhood homes I live in are hardy plank exterior and I would hate to send a stray pistol round through a window and hit a neighbor.

court2005

Four Pointer
Anyone have this stock on their gun? There are so many option out there.
e824164cdecc306261b4d0978a295f39.jpg

court2005

Four Pointer
Decided to just cut down my current barrel. It cost me $0 so that’s always better! Ended up being about 18 3/4” but I think it turned out nice!
25060945d57ec8708f9139d4f796beeb.jpg

Southern

Ten Pointer
Just did the exact same thing on the same gun and Cabelas actually had the barrel and I could not find it anywhere else.

court2005

Four Pointer
Just did the exact same thing on the same gun and Cabelas actually had the barrel and I could not find it anywhere else.

I’m excited, it’s also the supermag barrel so I’m thinking it’ll still be safe to shoot a 3.5” shell with it where the other barrel said to only be good to 3” shell.

If someone knows different please let me know as I still plan to verify it’s safe to shoot the 3.5”

court2005

Four Pointer
Ahhh I thought you were putting a 3.5" barrel on a 3" gun.

Oh no it’s an 870 Supermag. I decided to cut down the barrel that came with the gun instead of buying a shorter barrel.

So I am making the assumption that I can still shoot the 3.5” shell from the shorter barrel since it was originally designed for the 3.5” shell when it was 26” long.

I have an 870 express 12ga with a 28” barrel on it. I want to buy an 18” barrel for home defense. Any recommendation on where to get one or if anyone on here has an extra one laying around for sale.

Ive seen them at gunshows pretty frequently.