There is still hope

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
So far all I have seen are 2 or 3 poults per hen. Last year I saw 8 to 12 with same group. Several hens with none.

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
Saw a hen with 10 or 11 poults yesterday evening behind my house and then again in my yard this morning. First time I have seen them.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My daughter saw 3 hens with 1 poult yesterday near our house. Seen 3 hens and no poults today up at the Rock.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got to the club Thursday evening..... only seen one hen ...... so it’s probably the beginning of the end...... only seen 9 red heads so far!!!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw 5 hens yesterday morning here .... no poults.

We've had one hanging around the house for the past 2 years that nested in a cutover close by. She doesn't have any poults either. The dog's eyes were about as big as saucers when he flushed her out of our blackberry patch a couple of weeks ago.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Wort hatch in years this season heard of a few late nesters coming off in July with a few and rarely any chicken sized poults.I have yet to.see but one hen while driving and no poults.Have not checked any camera since May.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My friend who lets me hunt in SC reported a bumper crop of poults yesterday when we talked.
All signs there (during the season) pointed to an early nesting and hatch when conditions must have been perfect given the sightings he discussed. Up to 12 poults with hens. Many with 7-8.
This is Marion county.
FWIW he also reported big increase in fawn sightings and says the coyotes and pigs are not so plentiful.
But of course that is just one man's viewings. Hopefully the pee dee is in good shape for game.

ol bob

Six Pointer
Last year I had 15 hens around the house from the end of season until July no poults this year no hens nothing, sure not looking good around here.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a couple hens today, one had 2 poults, the other had 6. All flying size, little smaller than chickens. Va crooked land birds(y)

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I found the hen that had been hanging around earlier in the summer while doing some tractor work last week. Not sure what got her, but this was 30 yards in front of the barn.49F9E809-9A07-4AAD-AD00-EF30DE8D1468.jpeg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Saw several more (at least 3 ) chicken sized poults this morning on way to work( Rowan county- Enochville area)

They were bugging away in the green field. May have been more as they were on the crest of a hill... plenty of field just over the rise I couldn’t see