Spring Creek Impoundment Boat Access

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Looking at entering the draw for a blind on Spring Creek Impoundment, on the gamelands map it shows that most blind are accessible by boat, but after walking around the impoundment there doesn’t seem to be a way to get an actual boat into the impoundment? Does “boat access” really just mean kayak access?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. there is no actual access from any main water body. But, it's a fairy short drag for your kayak. If you get drawn during swan season, they often visit or overnight on the impoundment. Might be worth applying for a swan tag.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Yep. there is no actual access from any main water body. But, it's a fairy short drag for your kayak. If you get drawn during swan season, they often visit or overnight on the impoundment. Might be worth applying for a swan tag.
Hadn’t thought about applying for a swan tag, might have to do that. Haven’t had they kayak out in a while, might try to paddle that in there and drag a jet-sled with the decoys behind the ‘yak.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Unless duck patterns “change” in that area, you’re piss’n in the wind imo. You might shoot a duck or two on opening day(s), might even kill a swan later in the year but after hunting that impoundment for decades it sadly has become only a good memory. Not discouraging you, just giving you solid facts because I’m around there every week/ weekend during the season ..for years. While the blinds are nice and “comfortable”, doesn’t take long for what few birds hanging around to avoid them like the plague. I quit apply there 6-7 years ago. Pretty place with lots of SAV but until birds change their distribution patterns, it’s not on my radar of places I want to hunt. It does however offer a beautiful sunrise ...

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Unless duck patterns “change” in that area, you’re piss’n in the wind imo. You might shoot a duck or two on opening day(s), might even kill a swan later in the year but after hunting that impoundment for decades it sadly has become only a good memory. Not discouraging you, just giving you solid facts because I’m around there every week/ weekend during the season ..for years. While the blinds are nice and “comfortable”, doesn’t take long for what few birds hanging around to avoid them like the plague. I quit apply there 6-7 years ago. Pretty place with lots of SAV but until birds change their distribution patterns, it’s not on my radar of places I want to hunt. It does however offer a beautiful sunrise ...
Yep I’d been hearing that. But around here, it’s mostly just woodies and I’d love to have the chance to shoot a few other species, even if it’s not many birds. Plus, this will be my 4th season hunting ducks and because I usually have to walk in a long way to my public land spots here I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt from an actual blind. Figured I’d try to hunt up there at some point this season just for something different.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I understand, go for it. No matter where my next “new” hunt takes me there’s always that degree of excitement and anticipation that comes with it, regardless if I know deep down that the chances of having a good shoot are pretty low. But as they say, you got to go cause you can’t kill them from your couch. And while the numbers of birds seen and killed over the years has significantly decreased, I’ve “adjusted“ my expectations to fit the narrative, however, the desire and passion level has remained unchanged for decades. Satisfaction comes in many flavors ....

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
You'll need a small boat or canoe to access the blinds. You can probably walk to some but its pretty boggy in places and there are some ditches or stump holes. ( I highly suggest the small boat) Its not a long walk from the parking lot to the impoundment edge where you access it.( maybe 100 yards +/-) Its been a while since I've been there, hunted it the first couple of years they had blinds. I like the blinds but just not that desperate to make the drive 3.5 hrs for a 1/2 day hunt. Good suggestion on the swan permit used to see a lot there. I had a buddy who went to ECU, he hunted it when it had non permit walk in days. Same for the other public impoundments, he had his boat with him during the season while in college in Greenville. He did pretty well back then, today I don't know how it is.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Spot on with the assessment James.

To the OP, when we used to hunt it we would take a canoe to haul us and our gear. The grass was thick so a trolling motor was useless once we got out of the ditch. We would stash it behind the blind and cover it with burlap.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
You'll need a small boat or canoe to access the blinds. You can probably walk to some but its pretty boggy in places and there are some ditches or stump holes. ( I highly suggest the small boat) Its not a long walk from the parking lot to the impoundment edge where you access it..

To the OP, when we used to hunt it we would take a canoe to haul us and our gear. The grass was thick so a trolling motor was useless once we got out of the ditch. We would stash it behind the blind and cover it with burlap.

Thanks guys. After going up there and scouting “boots on the ground” the other day I noticed that the middle of the impoundment near most of the blinds was still really boggy even though it was relatively dry. My jon boat is too much to drag in there but my kayak with a jet sled behind it should do me just fine to get in there so if I happen to draw, that will probably be the plan.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I understand, go for it. No matter where my next “new” hunt takes me there’s always that degree of excitement and anticipation that comes with it, regardless if I know deep down that the chances of having a good shoot are pretty low. But as they say, you got to go cause you can’t kill them from your couch. And while the numbers of birds seen and killed over the years has significantly decreased, I’ve “adjusted“ my expectations to fit the narrative, however, the desire and passion level has remained unchanged for decades. Satisfaction comes in many flavors ....
That is so well said!!! thanks!

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
WE might have ducks this year, lots of water for a change in the breeding areas, probably no hunting in Canada, if we get weather we might get ducks.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
WE might have ducks this year, lots of water for a change in the breeding areas, probably no hunting in Canada, if we get weather we might get ducks.
If nothing else, the woodies seem to be doing well here, and you’ll never see me complain about being able to shoot 3 ducks in the first 10 minutes of light!

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Seems like the downfall of the permit impoundments are the blinds. Futch used to be one of my favorite hunts every year. Now you have to sit in a blind surrounded by 20 other blinds. The quality of hunting started to decrease when the blinds where implemented.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Seems like the downfall of the permit impoundments are the blinds. Futch used to be one of my favorite hunts every year. Now you have to sit in a blind surrounded by 20 other blinds. The quality of hunting started to decrease when the blinds where implemented.

I don’t think the downfall of the permit ponds was because of the blinds, it did, however, coincidentally start falling off about that time. You’re right, the quality started sucking because hunters that previously went that extra mile to scout the day before and we’re ready for the subsequent 4:00 am foot race were rewarded with good spots to hunt and did well. The implementation of the blinds eliminated that option and imo led to more “shooters” applying for these restricted hunts simply for the convenience factor and lack of competition. Several exceptionally warm winters and nothing to move birds south, not to mention what birds were here didn’t need to leave the safety of the refuges we’re additional factors for the major decline in within the WRC impoundment network. But it wasn’t just the ponds that changed to established blinds, you can throw CC and the Point into the lack of bird category over the last several years too relative to their numbers nor even a decade ago. Many other variables as we’ve discussed previously (lack of SAV, private clubs, etc.) but it’s very apparent that the birds are not spread out over the coastal areas as they once were. Seeing puddle ducks in the countless marsh pot holes around the sounds, save for a few black ducks, sadly is a rare sight these days ...

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I was at the meeting when they discussed blinds for Futch. I was the only person who said I would rather have a quality place to hunt than an easy place to hunt. People just want a place to go. I am lucky to have places to go but it still was fun hunting those places before the blinds and zones where implemented. Sure we would get set up on every now and then, but most time I would get up early, get there first, and get my spot and keep others off me best I could and we had some great hunts. After a year or two we figured that place out and we killed limits most times. MIss hunting there but that way things go nowadays it seems.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Wendell, your experience above is testimony to the importance of getting involved and letting your voice be heard when the WRC asks hunters for comments. I didn’t want those blinds there anymore than you did but we were very out numbered by the majority whom did. If you don’t speak up, you’ll be servant to the results of those that did.

Let me remind everyone who cares about future seasons here. As most know, next year will see NC split into 2 zones (there was a thread on that awhile back). Everyone will be either emailed or mailed a survey asking for YOUR feedback on proposals. The results will be tabulated, staff will then recommend to the commissioners the majority consent of us hunters. Not sure when survey will be coming out but I know it‘s In the process of being created. Need everyone’s participation!

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Another thing that has contributed to the downfall of these places is the sheer number of hunters there now. Years ago and before blinds many times we hunted with only 1 or 2 other parties present, even the popular ones like pp and futch. i have quit applying now but before I did it seemed like most times it was a full house present. They might not stay but an hour but they were there. People coming and going at all hours of the morning is a huge detriment to others hunting

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Looking at entering the draw for a blind on Spring Creek Impoundment, on the gamelands map it shows that most blind are accessible by boat, but after walking around the impoundment there doesn’t seem to be a way to get an actual boat into the impoundment? Does “boat access” really just mean kayak access?
It's unique in that you need a kayak/canoe to reach most of the blinds, but cannot use a motorboat, etc...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
It's unique in that you need a kayak/canoe to reach most of the blinds, but cannot use a motorboat, etc...
[/QUOTE

It’s a walk-in impoundment, ie. no boat needed to get there. But with all impoundments, they are shallow and have narrow borrow ditches that will float your hat, thus the need for some type of boat to get merely get across.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Another thing that has contributed to the downfall of these places is the sheer number of hunters there now. Years ago and before blinds many times we hunted with only 1 or 2 other parties present, even the popular ones like pp and futch. i have quit applying now but before I did it seemed like most times it was a full house present. They might not stay but an hour but they were there. People coming and going at all hours of the morning is a huge detriment to others hunting

Not only a detriment to the hunters but a big one also to the waterfowl. I get up by 3:30 every morning I hunt. My place is in a direct “retreat” to safety for the swans that are flushed from CC. They fly right over my place shortly after 4 on permit days. Lot of pressure in my area, not only from hunters but from boat traffic in general.

shurshot

Ten Pointer

It’s a walk-in impoundment, ie. no boat needed to get there. But with all impoundments, they are shallow and have narrow borrow ditches that will float your hat, thus the need for some type of boat to get merely get across.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
Used to be the blame for the poor hunting in the impoundments was the loss of the walk in days going to permit only. At one time the impoundments were open on Mondays & Wednesdays with Saturdays being permit days, along with holidays. Then they got moved to Tuesdays as walk in days. Once it went to permit only the blame for all the issues were due to it being permit only. Now its the blinds, what will it be next?

shurshot

Ten Pointer
WRC doesn’t want you to kill ducks ......oops, already been said.

FWIW, I used to hunt in there when it was open 6 days/wk. and you could shoot til sunset.
We killed ducks ....

Clark

Ten Pointer
You quit at sunset??
I recall one nasty day when we were the only people there - on all 4 ponds. Gadwall were thick!!

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
WRC doesn’t want you to kill ducks ......oops, already been said.

FWIW, I used to hunt in there when it was open 6 days/wk. and you could shoot til sunset.
We killed ducks ....
I remember those times well. Seems like another lifetime now. Sometimes i look at some of the old pics I have and wonder how it ever morphed into the present day status............sad! Killed many a limit of all drake pins in there when a limit was indeed a limit

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Compared to Futch or some others, you really can't access it without a boat, period. That's the point I'm getting at. It's different environmentally, seems to be a true natural environment as opposed to flooded crop fields.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I have to think more pressure is the main cause of the downfall of the duck hunting. It doesnt sound like the quality of habitat has gone down hill. How do spring creek and PP and other impoundments look? The only thing I have seen go downhill when it comes to habitat quality at Futch are the catfish ponds dont have the good grass like they used to. Everything else is managed pretty well. Its gotta be the hunting pressure just like everywhere else in NC. Back Bay in Va is the same way. Its three days a week there for the float blind stakes and its a zoo at best. Then outside the wmas there is a blind every 500 yards. You can have the best habitat in the world but if you hammer the birds they are gonna leave.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I have to think more pressure is the main cause of the downfall of the duck hunting. It doesnt sound like the quality of habitat has gone down hill. How do spring creek and PP and other impoundments look? The only thing I have seen go downhill when it comes to habitat quality at Futch are the catfish ponds dont have the good grass like they used to. Everything else is managed pretty well. Its gotta be the hunting pressure just like everywhere else in NC. Back Bay in Va is the same way. Its three days a week there for the float blind stakes and its a zoo at best. Then outside the wmas there is a blind every 500 yards. You can have the best habitat in the world but if you hammer the birds they are gonna leave.

I think its a combination of more hunters, loss of habitat and loss of public land to hunt. All three kind of go hand in hand. Granted I cant speak for the "good ol' days" of NC hunting, but I have observed all 3 in the 12 years that I have been here. I was talking to an older fella at Big Trout marina one day earlier this year about hunting spots in Hyde County. He was telling me with all the "urban sprawl" going on in the OBX that he thinks there will be condo's all around there (Engelhard) within the next 30 years. He may very well be right.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

From what I've understood, the quality of habitat in the bays and sounds, the SAV grass, is not there like it once was. I can't confirm, just what folks that have been at it longer have told me. 'Skeet has turned into a carp factory.

Some places, like Futch, have a lot of birds in them that hunters will rarely have a legal shot at. WHen I hunted there two years ago it was filled with birds the evening before. They were educated too, like a big buck that's mostly nocturnal; we hardly saw anything the next morning.