2 Buck Rule Discussion

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing but being greedy over antlers. I think it is a joke. I do not believe that anybody is really following it. If the buck of a lifetime steps out in front of a hunter that has already taken 2 bucks, you don't think they aint going to shoot. I know everybody says" I would not", but when the situation presents itself , most will pull the trigger. Greedy over them horns. The same greed that got the law in place will make the ones who wanted it an outlaw one day. Just like hunters slipping in to hunt where they are not suppose to be, road hunting/shoot from a vehicle and spotlighting. The temptation becomes to great to kill the almighty antlers and sooner or later if hunting deer to you means killing the biggest or the best antlers , you will take just 1 more than you are suppose to.

I think you are wrong. Most of us sit on that tag for that reason. If the buck of a lifetime walks out, to be sure he would be worthy of taxi work. Taxi work is hard to find without that tag number.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There's really nothing to discuss. Its a rule, ones that want to break it, will, ones that don't, won't. Its not gonna stop the ones who use their wife's tags, their kid's tags, or their 3rd cousin twice removed tags, or no tags at all.

Last edited:

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing but being greedy over antlers. I think it is a joke. I do not believe that anybody is really following it. If the buck of a lifetime steps out in front of a hunter that has already taken 2 bucks, you don't think they aint going to shoot. I know everybody says" I would not", but when the situation presents itself , most will pull the trigger. Greedy over them horns. The same greed that got the law in place will make the ones who wanted it an outlaw one day. Just like hunters slipping in to hunt where they are not suppose to be, road hunting/shoot from a vehicle and spotlighting. The temptation becomes to great to kill the almighty antlers and sooner or later if hunting deer to you means killing the biggest or the best antlers , you will take just 1 more than you are suppose to.

For the record, I didn't.
Last day of the season several years ago. No buck tags left. Biggest buck I've seen from the stand was walking a trail quartering away, about 100 yards. Looked at him through the scope and watched him walk away.
Not everyone will fall into that category.
I do understand your point. Some will. It is my belief most of us on this forum wouldn't do as you mentioned.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
i think 2 buck limit and 4 points or better on one side is the way to go
I know its unpopular but I would be for the NCWRC managing a few select game lands/permit hunts with APRs. And, I personally wouldn't go out of my way to hunt those, but there's room at the table for it.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Personally, the areas i hunt that held big bucks still hold em, and the areas i hunt that had crap for antlers still have crap. Only change i've seen is that the cowhorns seem to make it a little later in the season before reality outweighs expectation of the 2 buck limit.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
You mean y'all don't just punch the tag and not call it in? I think they teach that in hunters ED class on the coast. Or maybe I just heard that somewhere idk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

i call :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk on that.......most of us will likely not spend as much time in the stand if we have bucked out! I will only duck hunt and small game Hunt if I limit out.....you are making a mighty big assumption about hunters.......and yep there are some that are corrupt....use others tags.....or their kids tags.....and convince themselves it’s all OK. I like to think that the majority of us will play by the rules, and the poachers/ cheaters are a tiny percentage of us.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hadn't seen a huge difference in Central NC, where they claimed it would produce 200 inch deer. Barely can get em to 180.
Now that can’t be right......can’t grow big deer in NC ......I saw it on the internet so it has to be true! 180 must have been a typo you meant 110 right

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I didn't like it then.
I don't like it now.
Not necessarily for me, but for others.
Sometimes you see a twisted up scrub buck 3.5 years old you'd rather not have around breeding, one tag too late. [emoji2369]
That's the breaks,though..

There’s been quite a bit of research over the years the have debunked this. Injury, habitat & stress on the doe while the fawn was in Utero, is more likely to be the reason that rack is a “scrub”.. In free ranging deer, Sire has a lot less effect on offsprings rack than people realize..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You mean y'all don't just punch the tag and not call it in? I think they teach that in hunters ED class on the coast. Or maybe I just heard that somewhere idk
Seen fella get ticket for that in turkey season was officer at gate when walking out checking license guy before me had deer spot punched no number got him a ticket for it

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Antlers are meaningless to me when I do deer hunt its only to enjoy getting out and if lucky some meat in freezer buck or doe, spike or 8 couldn't care less. All them bigger deer are to me is heavier to pull out of the hollar. Of course I don't have horse in this race

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Antlers are meaningless to me when I do deer hunt its only to enjoy getting out and if lucky some meat in freezer buck or doe, spike or 8 couldn't care less. All them bigger deer are to me is heavier to pull out of the hollar. Of course I don't have horse in this race

I will say that I would rather clean 5 heavier deer than 6 smaller ones.

i think 2 buck limit and 4 points or better on one side is the way to go
Split the difference. One buck which ever way you choose and one buck 4 points or better on a side. Can we put and end to this cull buck stuff. It Has been scientifically proven you cannot control the genetics of deer by culling bucks. If you dont want him breeding and want to shoot him shoot him. But dont think you are making a difference in the genetics of the herd.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Seen fella get ticket for that in turkey season was officer at gate when walking out checking license guy before me had deer spot punched no number got him a ticket for it
good. the poachers need their asses caught and ticketed. That's why some dismiss the limits on game and fish, they think nothing gets done. Pure ass greed.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
good. the poachers need their asses caught and ticketed. That's why some dismiss the limits on game and fish, they think nothing gets done. Pure ass greed.
Yeah I was grinning and the officer noticed and could tell he didn't mind writing that one. This was while back coming out of Thurmond Chatham probably not to long after they changed rule.

greenoakl

Six Pointer
I have hunted under the 2 buck rule in my part of the state since 2001 ( I believe that's when it was implemented, I could be off a year or two). Never bothered me. 2 bucks is plenty for me. I can shoot one young buck and hold out for a good one, or I can shoot two young bucks and be done, or I can hold out for two really good bucks. It's my two tags, I will do what I want with them. You could live in a state that has a one buck limit, or a state that has limited number of tags and you have to put in for a draw and cross your fingers that you get to hunt that year. 6 deer limit (2 bucks and 4 does) is a pretty good deal.

Like I said for a long time, I am just glad that there is a uniform limit across the state, from an enforcement stand point. It was just too easy for people to tag a 3rd and 4th buck in a 4 buck county, even though it was shot in a 2 buck county. I didn't really care if the state went to 2 bucks, 4 bucks, 3 bucks or 10 bucks, as long as it was the same across the state. I know that law breakers will continue to break the law, no matter what. But now, they have to get a little smarter. They can't just say "I shot that buck in Vance County" when they actually shot it in Granville county. Sure, they can tag it as a doe, but IF they get caught, that's an easy violation to prove. Or, if they choose not to tag it all and try to hide it, that's also an easier violation to prove.

I know a handful of guys who were notorious for shooting 4 bucks in 2 buck counties, and just called them in as shot in a 4 buck county. It was, of course, very difficult to prove what they were doing. But, I know one of them got busted last year. He shot a buck (his 3rd of the year), and tagged it as a doe. He was hauling it over to the processor and low and behold, there was the GW. He got ticketed. GW had been trying to get him on something for years and he finally got him. Will it change him? Doubtful. He will just get more creative from here on out, but at least he finally had some consequences for his actions. Cost him some money and some time.