2 Buck Rule Discussion

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I looked at it as a way of possibly deterring the ones that shoot a buck just for being a buck. So many folks can look at a field full of does and decide that the one cow horn or 4 point is the one that gets the bullet. It’s all legal. I can’t say anything against that.....it just seems odd to me.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I’m with timekiller. It’s how’s it’s always been for me....
I have no stake in the changes down east cause I don’t deer hunt down there.

but, the person not happy killing 2 bucks with two tags is prolly the same person that wasn’t happy ONLY having 4 buck tags, lol...

I like having 2 bucks. it’s a chess match with season. I love holding that last buck tag going into November and having 20 different bucks on cam to hunt.

plus, doe meat tastes better.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Seasons and bag limits should be about population management and herd health, nothing more or less.
I agree. And the population was just fine, thriving actually, before the 2 buck limit and
the herd was also healthy.

So why the change? Older deer<—>trophy deer.

Age structure, as it relates to herd health, is irrelevant as long as there are sufficient numbers of sexually mature animals. And deer ain’t gotta be 5.5 to git-r-done(y)

Guybo

Eight Pointer
It doesn't really matter to me or bother me at all. It's all personal preference on what you choose to shoot. Just be happy for the opportunity and privilege of hunting :) .

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree. And the population was just fine, thriving actually, before the 2 buck limit and
the herd was also healthy.

So why the change? Older deer<—>trophy deer.

Age structure, as it relates to herd health, is irrelevant as long as there are sufficient numbers of sexually mature animals. And deer ain’t gotta be 5.5 to git-r-done(y)

I would argue that the population was not "fine" it was too big in many areas and still growing. Most won't like the results if it is 100% left to nature to control. Older deer only = trophy deer if you view the trophy as age or if you chose to only shot the ones with big antlers and call that a trophy.

The herd can have unlimited 5.5yo bucks but that does not in and of itself make any of them a trophy necessarily. Plus we both know that the older they get the harder they are to kill and lots of folks are going to kill the little ones anyway because they are easier. :)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
heck, I'm lucky if I pull the trigger on one NC buck a year,,,,much less two or more,,,
Well for someone that does their dead level best to sneak away from the truck without a gun quite often unless I get caught at it I am right there with you. LOL

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
trying to get me riled??

pet peeve of mine,,,wasting game meat,,,whether deer, SQUIRREL, or anything else,,,,

yes, some things ain't fit to eat,,,but non-invasive species that are edible should not get wasted
They ain't apt to get wasted around the crowd I hang with. LOL They would fight a buzzard.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
trying to get me riled??

pet peeve of mine,,,wasting game meat,,,whether deer, SQUIRREL, or anything else,,,,

yes, some things ain't fit to eat,,,but non-invasive species that are edible should not get wasted
Hey, you trying to rile me now, don't start on them invasive species. :panic:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I would argue that the population was not "fine" it was too big in many areas and still growing. Most won't like the results if it is 100% left to nature to control. Older deer only = trophy deer if you view the trophy as age or if you chose to only shot the ones with big antlers and call that a trophy.

The herd can have unlimited 5.5yo bucks but that does not in and of itself make any of them a trophy necessarily. Plus we both know that the older they get the harder they are to kill and lots of folks are going to kill the little ones anyway because they are easier. :)
To big for your enjoyment, I’ll concede. But a herd can’t be to big, until it has surpassed the carrying capacity of the land it occupies. The signs of over population are blatant, obvious, and non existent anywhere we’ve hunted.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think it has made much difference. The folks that want to kill several bucks per year still do and the ones that are very selective probably didn't kill more than 2 per year before the rule change.
Thats what I was going to say.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If the state truly wants to reduce the deer herd in certain areas, why do they not extend the doe tags ?
I'm not saying every area of NC but, there are areas where the deer herd are exceeding the carrying capacity of the land.
NC seems content to let it continue.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Not for government telling me what I can and can't do but this really doesn't bother me. You can still legally harvest 6 deer. If you hunt for meat still the same. If you're after those big trophy deer then really how often does one shoot more than 2. Most years I'm lucky to see 1. If it is for population control then I have to agree with taking more does. When my dad had depredation permits he didn't want to shoot bucks. Not because he gave a mouses donkey about trophy bucks or age structure. He would say that by shooting a doe she'll never reproduce again, one buck can service multiple does. This is JMO kinda like the whole QDM thing.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But a herd can’t be to big, until it has surpassed the carrying capacity of the land it occupies. The signs of over population are blatant, obvious, and non existent anywhere we’ve hunted.

But if you wait for it to get to that point before taking action, then you end up with those natural consequences that I mentioned that few would like. You can't manage from behind the curve. If you do you are always shooting behind the moving target.

One thing is for sure, there is no "right answer" for everybody, or likely for the herd at a state level.. too many variables.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Nothing but being greedy over antlers. I think it is a joke. I do not believe that anybody is really following it. If the buck of a lifetime steps out in front of a hunter that has already taken 2 bucks, you don't think they aint going to shoot. I know everybody says" I would not", but when the situation presents itself , most will pull the trigger. Greedy over them horns. The same greed that got the law in place will make the ones who wanted it an outlaw one day. Just like hunters slipping in to hunt where they are not suppose to be, road hunting/shoot from a vehicle and spotlighting. The temptation becomes to great to kill the almighty antlers and sooner or later if hunting deer to you means killing the biggest or the best antlers , you will take just 1 more than you are suppose to.