Meat grinder

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I’m looking for a grinder to grind my own deer meat. I’d like to spend 300 dollars or less. Do any of you folks have any suggestions? Thanks

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Get one you can find parts for.

I have one from Cabelas but it is several years old. At the time LEM.made them for Cabelas. Had to get a few replacement parts over the years.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I have a now obsolete Sunbeam 20 years ? that I still use, just for deer really... fingers crossed , no repairs

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I would like to find a dependable one that I could do a couple of deer a year. I’ve always paid a processor to grind my extra meat. Just trying to save a few bucks and maybe experiment a little. Thanks again

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I got a 1hp from cabelas a few years back,....more than I needed but didnt know much about them......I went ahead and got the cuber and mixer attachment and can stuff sausage too......

ahales

Four Pointer
I bought one from harbor freight about 6-7 years ago. I use it a handful of times a year for deer. Only around 50 bucks and I was able to use the 20% off coupon. I feel if it breaks tomm, I got my money’s worth.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I just bought a carnivore this past fall. Went for years with a $99 LEM that worked fine but was slower.
I did 3 deer with the carnivore and knew it was what I’d been looking for. Then this spring I ground 75 lbs of pork sausage with it and it handles the warm pork/fat like a champ.
It may be a skosh over your budget but it’s worth it.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
Cheap Weston has done a few deer per year for 60 bucks..its going on 6 years old when it dies ill toss it and get another..never had a jamb

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
kitchenaid mixer with meat attachment.
its strong enough to handle anything that i trow in it
Lol you’ve never used a real grinder, have you?

Kitchen Aid attachment is great for grinding those paper thin, meat case special ribeyes into burgers. But not for processing quantity. And I’ve ground multiple deer with one:oops:

damarshall7

Four Pointer

Kitchen Aid attachment is great for grinding those paper thin, meat case special ribeyes into burgers. But not for processing quantity. And I’ve ground multiple deer with one:oops:
I've used a KitchenAid attachment for years. Grind my limit each year, plus make my own burger and sausage from beef and pork several times a month. Works great. I have a 1.5 hp grinder that has sat in the box for at least the last 5 years because the kitchenaid is so much easier to use, set up, clean and store. I also have several family members that do the same. Maybe we all just dont know better, but it doesnt take long at all to grind a whole deer up.

If you already have a kitchenaid mixer, it is the cheapest route to processing your own deer.

willb

Eight Pointer

it grinds meat and so much more. it sure acts like a meat grinder.
if it looks like a meat grinder, smells like a meat grinder and grinds meat it......... must be a meat grinder

oh, after it gets clean, i can also make deserts with said meat grinder

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
why grind the whole deer? Don't like steaks, stew meat, or roasts?

interesting

I grind the whole deer as well. I’ve learned if ain’t a duck, dove or small game, my family don’t particularly care for whole muscle cuts of venison and if we’re being honest, neither do I. But there are a ton of options for burger and it gets eat. Either way, the whole animal gets utilized.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I grind the whole deer as well. I’ve learned if ain’t a duck, dove or small game, my family don’t particularly care for whole muscle cuts of venison and if we’re being honest, neither do I. But there are a ton of options for burger and it gets eat. Either way, the whole animal gets utilized.
You need to learn how to cook;):D

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
You need to learn how to cook;):D

I do know how to cook. Which is why I prefer beef if I wanna eat a good steak................
I get what your saying, I really do, but I don’t understand why so many people get bent out of shape over grinding a whole deer. I know good and dam well when I grind a deer, it’s gonna get eat. Ain’t that the end result we all hope for when killing a deer?? I’d wager a large number of hunters get all the different “cuts” done only to have the vicious “freezer went bad” fairy show up every September conveniently making room for the next seasons 1/2 wasted deer.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
prefer beef if I wanna eat a good steak

of COURSE,,,,,I love a good beefsteak,,,

love deer steak as well,,,,

love pork steaks (prefer fresh, not salted)

love all kinds of slabs o' meat,,,,

all have different taste sensations,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know good and dam well when I grind a deer, it’s gonna get eat. Ain’t that the end result we all hope for when killing a deer?? I’d wager a large number of hunters get all the different “cuts” done only to have the vicious “freezer went bad” fairy show up every September conveniently making room for the next seasons 1/2 wasted deer.

can't blame you there,,,,,,ate is better than tossed,,,,

ain't no tossing going on here less the power is out extended (happened twice so far in my time),,,,other than that,,,ain't no fresh meat left come 1 sept,,,all ate or turned into SUMMER SAUSAGE!!

Summer sausage is my "hunting snack food"

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
but I don’t understand why so many people get bent out of shape over grinding a whole deer.

I understand..... same could be said about someone picking a small buck to shoot for meat.. People get bent out if shape. Don't they?

I’d wager a large number of hunters get all the different “cuts” done only to have the vicious “freezer went bad” fairy show up every September conveniently making room for the next seasons 1/2 wasted deer.

I'm sure that happens but I think that number would be very small. Very small that would waste deer.

May take place more with the horn hunters.
I always have a list of people that want extra deer meat I have. Wife takes some to a friend that her X hunted and some to family. Other than that we eat it. All! Any trimmings from cleaning meat I can't eat and horns go to the dogs.
Sure the waste happens but not in my house. Not from the guys I hunt with. They have a list and some churches that will take any and all.

np307

Ten Pointer
I’d wager a large number of hunters get all the different “cuts” done only to have the vicious “freezer went bad” fairy show up every September conveniently making room for the next seasons 1/2 wasted deer.

I dont know anyone who tosses deer, even if they have it in cuts.

Personally, I cant imagine having any butchering done for me. None of mine has been ground the last 2 years and absolutely none has been tossed. We havent bought beef to cook at home other than a couple steaks for a special occasion.

I like to see deer ground but eaten much more than I'd like to see any get wasted. But it's kind of a waste to grind choice cuts as well. Cant imagine making burger or jerky from backstrap or tenderloin.

But again, I dont feel any animosity toward someone who grinds deer meat. I do cringe if someone grinds it because they dont think it's good for anything else.