Nomad Internet

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sa
looks tempting - may give it a swing,,,wife is tired of ESC internet,,,,,

satellite internet is weather dependent and also unreliable during peak usage hours. They’ll also throttle you back once you’ve hit your max allowable GB on the plan.

Nomad is new to the game, but cellular based internet is much more reliable than satellite. They have a plan for each cellular carrier to match the best signal at your given location. 14 days risk free and a full refund if you aren’t pleased, I’ll be ordering today.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
tell me why please?? I need ammo - wife is politicking (nice way saying the nagging word) for sat internet and I am not so sure it's worth a hoot,,,,,,,,,

Do you have decent cell service at your house? If you do, a hotspot from Verizon/ATT would serve you better, and be less expensive as well. Also, faster speeds coming soon with 5G.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
decent cell service at your house

hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahaha,,,,,,,,,

you so funny,,,,,

ok ok,,,serious now,,,

decent is relative - it's decent to me (ok) but wife abhors it,,,,we rely on a wifi extender to use phones reliably in the house,,,,

well aware of the hotspots - I have a mifi for work,,,,it's a POS at times as well,,,,,

internet in general is like old commo,,,,,FM,,,,,last word is MAGIC!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am not seeing what speeds Nomad offers..but hotspot internet isn't nearly as good as any wired connection. I get 50 Mbps from a hotspot at home and yet our Windstream DSL of 7 Mbps works much better for my work even splitting the broadband signal with my wife while she's at work.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I have ViaSat down here in GA and although it aint great it's better than ATT ever got me in 30 years...….my tv (directv) is the same way.....

mdunker

Ten Pointer
For cell internet buy an outside antenna that will then plug into your mifi or whatever receiver you are using. Both usually have an external antenna port.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
in some places (like my location) a "wired connection" is not an option,,,,,real rural,,,,,
I have DSL..very rural too. That's my only option other than a wireless provider like these guys or satellite. I know satellite is very expensive and unreliable from Veterans that used to use it and had really bad results.
In my area they upgraded the switches for DSL and never told anyone for at least 3 years...suddenly when I sent in a bad review of Windstream to the BBB and filed a complaint about paying for service I didn't get I was contacted by their service manager executive who magically scheduled an upgrade to 10 Mbps from .6 Mbps on the same exact line, said it had been available for at least 2 years and couldn't understand why no one had told me about it. Same cost.
I tried Verizon's hotspot, it sucked...very poor service. I had signed up for another Data Hotspot but then the DSL deal came through.

mdunker

Ten Pointer
I started with an inside mifi with Verizon and it was not good. Too slow and bad wifi coverage. After some research I added an outside antenna and a pepwave router and it nearly doubled my speed and really helped my WiFi coverage.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
DSL isn't even an option here,,,,per the telephone company,,,and to far off the main drag they won't pull it in to our little piece of Paradise,,,
ours in on our phone line. Now if you don't have a phone line you're in deep kimshi

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had satellite installed in the late 90s after being told by the phone company that DSL was not an option and they had no plan to make it an option even though it was available less than 1/2 mile from me in two directions. Satellite was expensive to install and on a monthly basis but was better than dial up. It was probably Hughes Net at the time.

Long story short, the phone company had lied to me. less than a year after I installed satellite, they made DSL available. Just as good as satellite and a lot less expensive so I dumped the satellite and ate the loss on the equipment.

As service options changed, I eventually went with cell service thru Alltel and rode the conversion to Verizon. Mostly decent service for many years, especially the early years of 4G. But, IMO, it started going down hill. Costs going up, plans changing constantly, more periods of slow service and zero customer service other than I am sorry. The best thing about it was that it was portable. I could take it with me and the Verizon network had pretty good coverage most places that I frequented. Many places, I had better service than at home. The are I live has grown by leaps and bounds and I believe the customer base outgrew the Verizon equipment and with 5G coming, they chose not to upgrade but they would never admit that.

I am in an area where the Open Broadband initiative has become available with advertised speed of 25Mbps, truly unlimited data (no throttling) for a flat rate of $39.99. It is a hybrid system of fiber optic to a main antennae and then wireless from there through a series of antennas on existing tall structures such as water towers or silos. The service is going through some growing pains and not hitting their advertised numbers all the time but it is much better and more reasonable priced than Verizon. At least I can stream most of the time without delays.

Open BB is not available in all counties but their goal is to provide high speed service to areas that the big companies have ignored. There is some local grant money involved to help with start up costs so if it is not offered in your area, a call to your county officials may help get the ball rolling.

I have no clue if satellite is any better now than it was when I had it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had satellite installed in the late 90s after being told by the phone company that DSL was not an option and they had no plan to make it an option even though it was available less than 1/2 mile from me in two directions. Satellite was expensive to install and on a monthly basis but was better than dial up. It was probably Hughes Net at the time.

Long story short, the phone company had lied to me. less than a year after I installed satellite, they made DSL available. Just as good as satellite and a lot less expensive so I dumped the satellite and ate the loss on the equipment.

As service options changed, I eventually went with cell service thru Alltel and rode the conversion to Verizon. Mostly decent service for many years, especially the early years of 4G. But, IMO, it started going down hill. Costs going up, plans changing constantly, more periods of slow service and zero customer service other than I am sorry. The best thing about it was that it was portable. I could take it with me and the Verizon network had pretty good coverage most places that I frequented. Many places, I had better service than at home. The are I live has grown by leaps and bounds and I believe the customer base outgrew the Verizon equipment and with 5G coming, they chose not to upgrade but they would never admit that.

I am in an area where the Open Broadband initiative has become available with advertised speed of 25Mbps, truly unlimited data (no throttling) for a flat rate of $39.99. It is a hybrid system of fiber optic to a main antennae and then wireless from there through a series of antennas on existing tall structures such as water towers or silos. The service is going through some growing pains and not hitting their advertised numbers all the time but it is much better and more reasonable priced than Verizon. At least I can stream most of the time without delays.

Open BB is not available in all counties but their goal is to provide high speed service to areas that the big companies have ignored. There is some local grant money involved to help with start up costs so if it is not offered in your area, a call to your county officials may help get the ball rolling.

I have no clue if satellite is any better now than it was when I had it.
we are showing as 5G for T-mobile and my work cell phone is T-mobile and I have good signal in the boonies where I live. However..when I called them they said there is no plans to have 5G in my location since there are not enough people and the antenna has to be line of sight.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ours in on our phone line. Now if you don't have a phone line you're in deep kimshi

not all phone lines are rated for DSL due to the distance from the DSL hub,,,,yes, the line coming into our area is NOT rated for DSL,,,,

just admit it,,,you're not as rural as you thought you were!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am in an area where the Open Broadband initiative has become available with advertised speed of 25Mbps, truly unlimited data (no throttling) for a flat rate of $39.99.

yes, the open broadband is nice if counties have the money to lay the fiber etc - develop the infrastracture - Orange county is at the top of the "nc money list" (#1 in 2010) and here we are 97th,,,,so won't be an option here for a long long time

anyhow ,,,,back to Nomad

hey @BoonDock - wife likes the concept so we will probably try as well - hopefully better than this dang mifi I have for work

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
not all phone lines are rated for DSL due to the distance from the DSL hub,,,,yes, the line coming into our area is NOT rated for DSL,,,,

just admit it,,,you're not as rural as you thought you were!!
must not be..I sure didn't know that. I'm glad I got what I got that's for darn sure. You rural people got it ruff. ;)

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahaha,,,,,,,,,

you so funny,,,,,

ok ok,,,serious now,,,

decent is relative - it's decent to me (ok) but wife abhors it,,,,we rely on a wifi extender to use phones reliably in the house,,,,

well aware of the hotspots - I have a mifi for work,,,,it's a POS at times as well,,,,,

internet in general is like old commo,,,,,FM,,,,,last word is MAGIC!!

Sounds like me and my wife to a T and our situation. Can’t get cable to service our neighborhood, can’t get phone to activate the line that feeds our house, cell service even with the best extender/booster is barely more than one bar LTE, satellite internet sucks if there is any sort of weather. My wife might kill someone before it’s all said and done lol.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sounds like me and my wife to a T and our situation. Can’t get cable to service our neighborhood, can’t get phone to activate the line that feeds our house, cell service even with the best extender/booster is barely more than one bar LTE, satellite internet sucks if there is any sort of weather. My wife might kill someone before it’s all said and done lol.

exactly!!

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I have us cellular and use the hotspot on my phone. Just put it in the window and it works fine, all I use is a tablet at home anyways

timber

Twelve Pointer
Have had hughesnet for probably close to 20 years. Have had to replace the reciever twice. Once for lighting and once where the box played out. Each time got new box the service and speed got alot better. Its not highspeed like you get through cabel but it does the job. Especially when its only option. Have to walk around the house to find enough service to just to use cell phone for a call. So thats not a option