Deer Tenderloin recipe

HighEight

Six Pointer
Man that just aint done. Whew... Yea you dont want to over cook it but you dont want to eat raw deer meat either. This is a really good recipe. Taste great but get it done. If your bacon is done your meat is done

?? It was done enough for me and the rest of the group that night. Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep eating mine just like I always have, not overcooked and still plenty of flavor.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Man that just aint done. Whew... Yea you dont want to over cook it but you dont want to eat raw deer meat either. This is a really good recipe. Taste great but get it done. If your bacon is done your meat is done

Looked about perfect to me.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
/\/\/\/\
I made too many of those one night on our grill. Wife watched me eat 7 or EIGHT ( 1 for every beer) of them during cooking and eating dinner! :mad: There is NO emoticon for the anger and pain I felt the next day. At least not one legal on this forum!

They are dangerously good Mack! Danger being the KEY WORD!!!! Larryrs recipe is spicy, but you won't shop at Costco for toilet paper the next day.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Well maybe I'm the only one on here who hadn't tried this recipe! Let me say this... It is the only way we will eat tenderloin from now on!! Larry for president 2016!

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I used the Hot & Spicy Allegro marinade and cooked it over some hickory chips. It was delicious! Thanks for the recipe my girl loved it too and she normally isn't a fan of deer
udy6a8yt.jpg

didn't look raw,,,,barely medium rare,,,,,,,,,and his bacon is nicely done,,,,,,,,,,

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Gobbler: Sorry I can't be of much help there since I have never done it in an oven. I think it would be safe to say what has been said before, if your bacon is done then the deer tenderloin is done. I guess the best response if no one has ever tried it in an oven is set the oven on say about 350 or so and keep an eye on it until you see the bacon is done. Hopefully someone who has tried it in an oven can give you better info.

Brute

Hope this is as good as Larry says. Got the backstraps from 5 in the freezer, waiting till after the Thanksgiving festivities. Thought I might try doing one with stove-top stuffing for filler. What you guys think ?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see any reason the stove-top stuffing wouldn't work but be sure to try at least one with cream cheese and Jalopeño peppers. You won't regret it.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
QBD2 I thought I was supposed to as royalty for posting that recipe, get an invitation every time it was used. LOL. Looking delicious. Hope you invited Pops to the feast.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
11 pages of how to cook a backstrap...

Let me give you an "in" on cooking venison. Use the same recipe as you would for beef. You can take a beef loin, roll it up with cream cheese and jalapenos, wrap it in bacon and almost make it edible too...almost. :D

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I am very boring. I slice mine 1" thick. Pound it, roll it in flour, slow fry it in butter with salt and pepper. Usually have fried potatoes and green beans with it. This is my soul food. This is how my family always cooked it when I was growing up.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I am very boring. I slice mine 1" thick. Pound it, roll it in flour, slow fry it in butter with salt and pepper. Usually have fried potatoes and green beans with it. This is my soul food. This is how my family always cooked it when I was growing up.

Yep, can't improve on perfection! Simple is best with tenderloin.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

My dad preferred garden peas to green beans when he cooked deer, but I've been right there. But I love it in all kinds of ways. I'm not picky when it comes to my deer meat!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Just this past Saturday night I did a big batch of country style steak in gravy for the guys at the hunting club. Cut 1/2" thick, pound with meat hammer, add salt/pepper to flour & coat pieces, brown in 1/4" of peanut or vegetable oil in large pot oil- once pieces are brown set them aside and continue to brown all pieces. Add flour to oil & bits and brown, once roux is good color add water (1/4 pot full) and wisk to dissolve all cooked flour to make gravy. Simmer 5+/- minutes to thicken, add salt & pepper to taste (takes a good amount of salt to get rid of raw taste), add 1-2 cups sliced button mushrooms, 2 ounces of bourbon and all pre browned meat pieces back into gravy. Simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice, biscuits or cornbread and some greens or beans as a side.

You can cut with a fork and the flavor is amazing...especially if the venison was aged a week or so prior to butchering/freezing.