Another Tire Thread

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Just got off the phone with Discount Tire. Going up there tomorrow. Been a big fan of theirs for a long time, but curious as to y'alls thoughts on how I did and if anyone knew anything about Continental tires? Wife needed a new set and they were recommended by the sales guy.

Continental ControlContact Tour A/S Plus. 80,000 mile warranty. She doesn't drive but 700-1000 miles a year, no typo - her commute is 8 miles round trip and if we need to go anywhere, I drive - so I'm not to worried about them. Just not familiar enough with Continental. I also wanted to get rid of my highway tires on my truck. Got a pair of Falken WildPeak A/T3W on order. I'm usually a Goodyear guy, as I've ran them for the past several years but they're pretty pricey right now.

I got both vehicles tires with Discount Tire's warranty certificates for $1,500 OTD. Usually mine are about $1,100, so I thought this was a good deal. I'm hoping the Continental's are good and that the WildPeak's reputation is well earned. I don't offroad much, but when I do I'm usually alone and don't want to be stuck in nomans land.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They have always done me good, above and beyond in a few cases.
I always check a few online places for tires.just to make sure.

If you are in an area they check dates on tires like they should you may be wasting money on name brand. If it still holds true I think they use 4 or 5 years on tires then can fail you even if the tread is fine.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
They have always done me good, above and beyond in a few cases.
I always check a few online places for tires.just to make sure.

If you are in an area they check dates on tires like they should you may be wasting money on name brand. If it still holds true I think they use 4 or 5 years on tires then can fail you even if the tread is fine.

Yeah. I don't know how she passed her last inspection not to long ago. I noticed today her rears were all but bald and fronts not to far from it. Talking to her dad, he put those on at least 5-6 years ago, if not longer. So it was definitely time. Discount has been my go to place since day 1. My parents used them for their company vehicles and were always taken care of. I did look online, which is how he got the price lower and then some it seems. At least for the Wildpeaks. The Continental were listed as $110 online.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll have to be a negative vote for Continental tires, it's the only tire I've ever had that the tread part separated from the sidewall.
That was years ago but I haven't forgotten.
It was on a fairly new set of tires and I replaced all 4 it was so scary.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have bought a lot of tires at Discount Tire but I do not buy their warranty certificates as I find them to not be a good deal.

Discount Tire has a separate online tire business similar to Tire Rack. Occasionally, you can get tires through there and have them ship to the store for a lower price. I usually price it both ways.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have bought a lot of tires at Discount Tire but I do not buy their warranty certificates as I find them to not be a good deal.

Discount Tire has a separate online tire business similar to Tire Rack. Occasionally, you can get tires through there and have them ship to the store for a lower price. I usually price it both ways.

They match anyone on line or other stores.
Never seen them higher than the Discount tire online price.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With Discount Tire, I have learned to do my research on my own before I go to the store. They have tried to sell me specific tires and not even mentioned others that were a better match for what I was looking for. They are trying to sell what they have in stock for the most part. I usually opt out of their certificates also.

And to the OP, I have no experience with Continental.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've had good luck with their certificates in the past which is why I opt for them. I've been reading up on the Continental tire they recommended and it seems good for what she does. Slightly alarming to hear about your experience, though, Eric.

I had them price match Amazon for the WildPeaks, it was the cheapest I could find at $168. I'm feeling pretty good about the deal overall.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Let me know how ya like the Wildpeaks. I just bought some new tires and was thinking about getting those but changed my mind at the ladt minute and got another set of BFG's.

I've read good things about the Falkens.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I have wildpeak at3 on my farm truck and on my daily driver truck. Got a a lot of miles on the wildpeaks and really like them for an AT tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I've had good luck with their certificates in the past which is why I opt for them.

I got the certificates one time. When I had to use them the first time for a damaged tire, I was surprised to be handed a bill. They said it was to pay for a new certificate for the new tire. Certificates don't transfer from the damaged tire to the new one. So to replace one tire, you really have to buy 5 certificates.

Here is an example why I don't buy them. Michelin Defenders for my vehicle are $197. Each certificate costs $29.50. It takes 5 certificates to cover one tire. Doing the math, it would cost $147.50 in certificates (insurance) to cover a $197 tire. That's a losing deal unless you consistently have to replace one tire for damage out of every set of tires you buy during your lifetime. I've probably bought 10 sets of tires from Discount Tire. I have only replaced 2 tires over all those sets. I'm far ahead financially for not buying certificates and self-insured for a lot more damaged tires.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
They match anyone on line or other stores.
Never seen them higher than the Discount tire online price.

There is Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct. In the past, I have seen price differences between the brick and mortar store and the online store. It seems they have gotten rid of that difference when I checked a few different tires for my vehicle. For people interested in certificates, there still is a difference in their cost. The brick and mortar store charges $29.50 per tire and the online store charges $20 per tire for the same Michelin Defender tire.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
There is Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct. In the past, I have seen price differences between the brick and mortar store and the online store. It seems they have gotten rid of that difference when I checked a few different tires for my vehicle. For people interested in certificates, there still is a difference in their cost. The brick and mortar store charges $29.50 per tire and the online store charges $20 per tire for the same Michelin Defender tire.
No crap!
Like I said, they match any online price.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The brick and mortar store charges $29.50 per tire and the online store charges $20 per tire for the same Michelin Defender tire.

Never paid 29.50
They always have a sale or something going on.

BTW if you have a warranty on a newer car and crash it, would you think they should transfer that to the new one you just got to replace it?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
No crap!
Like I said, they match any online price.

How many customers know there is a difference in certificate costs to ask for the match? My guess is very few based on all the times I've been in the store. I find most customers don't even research price of tires.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How many customers know there is a difference in certificate costs to ask for the match? My guess is very few based on all the times I've been in the store. I find most customers don't even research price of tires.
If you are not smart enough I'm sorry. They have a sign on the counter, they also will pull up other web sites to compare prices. They go above and beyond what is needed. Yep I'm sure there are also other shops that will do the same.
You can't fix stupid. Some people you can't help.

They sold me years ago. They also resold me when I took in my truck in with a flat. Factory tires had a Big screw in it. They said they were not sure they could fix but gave it a shot. About 2 weeks later I carried it back. They come back, said the leak was small but could not be fixed. Ask if I wanted the same tire and they would order it, may take a day or two. Ask them the cost and they said nothing. If they try to fix and it does not hold they replace it at no charge with warranty on top.
Needless to say they went above and beyond.

BTW why you keep going there if you are not happy with their service?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
BTW if you have a warranty on a newer car and crash it, would you think they should transfer that to the new one you just got to replace it?

Well, I wouldn't pay $14,980 for a warranty to cover a $20,000 car. I let you ponder on where those numbers came from.

I just find their sales practice on certificates deceptive. From their website, it says
Why incur an additional cost for the replacement of a tire damaged as a result of a road hazard or manufacturer defect, when you can get it replaced at no additional cost to you?
https://www.discounttire.com/custom...D_BwE&ef_id=Xg1AOwAAAE668Axi:20200523004803:s

Then you look at the fine print in their certificate, it says There will be an additional charge to purchase a new Certificate for a replacement tire.

It seems to me that buying another certificate is an additional cost to me.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Well, I wouldn't pay $14,980 for a warranty to cover a $20,000 car. I let you ponder on where those numbers came from.

I just find their sales practice on certificates deceptive. From their website, it says
Why incur an additional cost for the replacement of a tire damaged as a result of a road hazard or manufacturer defect, when you can get it replaced at no additional cost to you?
https://www.discounttire.com/custom...D_BwE&ef_id=Xg1AOwAAAE668Axi:20200523004803:s

Then you look at the fine print in their certificate, it says There will be an additional charge to purchase a new Certificate for a replacement tire.

It seems to me that buying another certificate is an additional cost to me.
Maybe one day you will understand small print and tire warranties. ..
It is easy for many to understand.

You are the only one on this site with and education and degree as you always like to remind us.

You should understand small print.

As to your numbers, they are wrong no need to ponder.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
BTW why you keep going there if you are not happy with their service?

I actually have stopped going there. Several things caused that. One time I got home from a rotation and checked the pressure. It was 46 psi where the recommended pressure is 30 psi. It wasn't that their tire gauge was faulty but that the store manager gave me a bad attitude when I came in to tell him of the problem.

The final straw was two consecutive bad rotations. I mark my tires every time before getting a rotation. Twice in a row that didn't rotate the tires correctly. Again, they didn't like it when I asked them to redo it.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I had a set of Continentals on a 91 Honda that lasted about 20K and I yanked them off. They were loud and roared at anything above 35 mph. Balance and 4 wheel alignment didn't change it, so off they came.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe one day you will understand small print and tire warranties. ..
It is easy for many to understand.

As to your numbers, they are wrong no need to ponder.

I understand plain language. When someone puts in large print "no additional cost", then in small print there is an additional cost, that is not being straightforward in their selling of a certificate.

For the numbers you didn't want to ponder, it costs $147.50 to cover the replacement of a $197 tire. In other words, you are paying 74.9% of the cost of a new tire. You mentioned car warranties. 74.9% of a $20,000 new car is $14,980. If the finance guy came to you and offered a warranty for $14,980, would you eagerly get out your checkbook to pay it?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
For the numbers you didn't want to ponder, it costs $147.50 to cover the replacement of a $197 tire.

I knew 100% where that number come from. But your math has a flaw.

You said the tire cost 197$ correct?
You also said the warranty on one tire was 29.50$ correct?
That would make your math wrong. If you want to factor in all the warranties factory in all the tire costs, factor in all the mounting, balance taxes and the rest to get a good number.

Those are your numbers.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I knew 100% where that number come from. But you math has a flaw.

You said the tire cost 197$ correct?
You also said the warranty on one tire was 29.50$ correct?
That would make your math wrong.

Those are your numbers.

Discount won't sell you a warranty on just one tire when you purchase a set of 4 tires. You first have to buy 4 certificates on a set of new tires to get any warranty coverage. That is $118 initial cost to get coverage. You hit a pothole and ruin a tire. You get a replacement tire and pay the $29.50 for the new certificate. Your out of pocket costs is $118+$29.50 for a total cost of $147.50 for that one tire replacement. You can't ignore the original costs of the four certificates. That is a cost to you.

If I choose not to buy certificates, I'll end up paying $197 or $49.50 more than the person who bought certificates. But since for me tire replacements are not common (2 times over 10 sets of tires), I come out way ahead financially by not paying for certificates and taking on the risk of occasionally having to pay the full cost of a replacement.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Discount won't sell you a warranty on just one tire.
Thats wrong.
Anyday they are open they will.sell you a tire and a warranty.
Look
It is clear you dont understand.
They will do 1, 2, 3, or all 4. They are done on the SN on the case of the tire.

I'm done. Say what you want and bash Discount Tire all you want.
I have nothing to gain from this crap.

Last edited: