Load testing in my 7mm STW

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
That thing shoots terrible don't it....lol

Very nice group. The only 7STW I ever shot was a Remington Sendero and it was very accurate also and didn't kick that bad being so heavy.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That thing shoots terrible don't it....lol

Very nice group. The only 7STW I ever shot was a Remington Sendero and it was very accurate also and didn't kick that bad being so heavy.

This one is a Remington 700 Sendero Stainless Fluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
I have a 30,7mm,and a 6.5 STW. They are as close to lighting in a rifle as I have ever shot. Very NICE SHOOTING!!!!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 30,7mm,and a 6.5 STW. They are as close to lighting in a rifle as I have ever shot. Very NICE SHOOTING!!!!

I have a .300 Jarrett which is very close to the .30 STW.

They are all fast for sure. I’ve thought about looking into the .358 STA and building one of them somewhere down the line.

As I said before this is a factory Remington Sendero Stainless Fluted. It is completely stock, I’ve never even so much as adjusted the trigger on it, it’s sitting at 2 lbs. 2 oz, exactly as it came out of the box. 90’s model, and earlier, Remingtons will flat out shoot.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I put a Holland quick discharge muzzle brake on my STW.

I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I don’t mind the recoil off the bench, it’s certainly not uncomfortable, and I’ve already got enough hearing issues.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
30 STW is a 7lb 4ounce rifle in a KS brown pounder stock and I had a brake put on it last summer. Got a little to much to handle in my older age. She is a pussy cat now. Yes mine are all Remingtons with Hart barrel though...

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
30 STW is a 7lb 4ounce rifle in a KS brown pounder stock and I had a brake put on it last summer. Got a little to much to handle in my older age. She is a pussy cat now. Yes mine are all Remingtons with Hart barrel though...

What sort of speed are you getting with the 30 STW?

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
That's on my chrono and seems to show a little high. It is rough on brass so i know i'm pushing the edge

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
That 6.5 STW should kill like lightning. Back in the day I wanted a 257 STW.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shoot 185's at 3350 and 200's at 3225

25 degree shoulder angle?
That’s close to what I’m getting out of my .300 Jarrett, but I’ve never really pushed it hard.
I drive 180 gr Accubonds at 3420. I suspect I could make it approach 3500, but I’m sure my groups would probably suffer.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That 6.5 STW should kill like lightning. Back in the day I wanted a 257 STW.

They’re screamers. I’ve got an 8mm Rem Mag that I’ve flirted with rebarreling into a 257 STW, but I have a .257 Wby, and it’s plenty fast... [emoji16]

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Dave Tooley has a stiller LH action now doing a 257 weatherby for me. I had a 257 STW back in the day 89-90 built by James Messer from Sylva. It was a screamer for sure. Shot J36 bullets out of it at about 3850fps and reloader 22 on the mild side. Only bullet back then that would hold together under 125 yards. Hart barrel suffered after about 400 shots and started chasing lands. Someone wanted it more than me so let it go. Necking down 8 mag to 25 and turning necks got old fast. Still had to turn necks on 6.5 but have enough done i never plan to turn another. Stick to 257 Weatherby. I am going to be new to it so may need some help.....

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I don’t mind the recoil off the bench, it’s certainly not uncomfortable, and I’ve already got enough hearing issues.

With my hearing issues I use earplugs with every shot now and the 180gr Berger’s I was shooting were pretty rough on my shoulder. It’s sucj an effective brake my 10yr old can shoot it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With my hearing issues I use earplugs with every shot now and the 180gr Berger’s I was shooting were pretty rough on my shoulder. It’s sucj an effective brake my 10yr old can shoot it.

Mine’s pretty comfortable to shoot. I’ve shot it a good bit in “field” positions whilst practicing and it’s still pleasant.

My buddy’s 13 year old daughter has busted skeet with it from the prone position on several different occasions and is always eager to shoot it.

Maybe one day I’ll get to the point I’ll want to put a brake on it, but for now, I’m happy with it the way it is.

sll

Four Pointer
I am the same way as I never put a brake on neither of mine. Looks like your gun likes that load. I ended up settling with Retumbo in mine as it did a little better than RL25........but every gun is different as you know.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am the same way as I never put a brake on neither of mine. Looks like your gun likes that load. I ended up settling with Retumbo in mine as it did a little better than RL25........but every gun is different as you know.

I’ve never tried the Retumbo.
I had the RL25 on hand and thought I’d give it a shot. I was previously using IMR 7828. Groups were similar, maybe slightly larger.

I had originally shot the 140 gr Ballistic Tips in it, but I was driving them faster than the recommended maximum speed, and wasn’t getting the results I wanted on deer, so I swapped to the 150 gr Accubond.

I ended up with some Accubond LR, and figured why not try a few loads with the RL25 and see what I get.

I’m pretty happy with it so far...[emoji16]

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Seems like the guys I knew who reloaded for the 7STW used H1000...so theres another powder to consider.

sll

Four Pointer
I’ve never tried the Retumbo.
I had the RL25 on hand and thought I’d give it a shot. I was previously using IMR 7828. Groups were similar, maybe slightly larger.

I had originally shot the 140 gr Ballistic Tips in it, but I was driving them faster than the recommended maximum speed, and wasn’t getting the results I wanted on deer, so I swapped to the 150 gr Accubond.

I ended up with some Accubond LR, and figured why not try a few loads with the RL25 and see what I get.

I’m pretty happy with it so far...[emoji16]

Yes sir......I wouldn't test any further myself.(y)

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems like the guys I knew who reloaded for the 7STW used H1000...so theres another powder to consider.

I tried H1000 when I first started loading for this rifle.

It was kind of mediocre for me. It shot really good,but the speed was only about 50-70 FPS faster than my 7mm Rem Mag, which kind of defeated the purpose of the 7mm STW.
I’m not really a speed nut, but I’ll take as much speed as I can get and still have good accuracy.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
That's a respectable group at a 100. Less than 1/2 moa. It would be fun to see how she groups at 300 or so. (y)

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I've tried several powders for mine. I've settled on 7828SSC. I think I tried RL22, RL25, Retubmo, H1000 and seems like there was one more that I tried before I found my pet load. In my gun the 7828ssc gives me the speed and accuracy that I'm happy with. Now I started out shooting Nosler ballistic tips, tried bergers from 140-180gr, and have finally settled on good ol Nosler Partitions. The bergers and ballistic tips just didn't want to exit deer from 0-300yds out and made finding a heart lung shot deer difficult if I shot it on the field edge and it got out of the field. The partitions go all the way through, the deer run the same distance and die the same way, I just have more blood to follow if they get out of the field.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I've tried several powders for mine. I've settled on 7828SSC. I think I tried RL22, RL25, Retubmo, H1000 and seems like there was one more that I tried before I found my pet load. In my gun the 7828ssc gives me the speed and accuracy that I'm happy with. Now I started out shooting Nosler ballistic tips, tried bergers from 140-180gr, and have finally settled on good ol Nosler Partitions. The bergers and ballistic tips just didn't want to exit deer from 0-300yds out and made finding a heart lung shot deer difficult if I shot it on the field edge and it got out of the field. The partitions go all the way through, the deer run the same distance and die the same way, I just have more blood to follow if they get out of the field.
Both my friends shot 140gr BT's out of their STW's.....all but a couple were DRT the rest ran less than 30yds, according to them.
Not doubting you one bit...just saying.
7828ssc is a very good powder, a friends uses in his 257.

The Partition should be awesome, along with the Accubond.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You have to watch shooting lighter weight Nosler Ballistic Tips out of the STW. It’s very easy to push them above 3200 FPS, which is the maximum recommended velocity. Once you go beyond that, they don’t perform as they should.

I had a super accurate load for the 140’s, but I was pushing it beyond 3500 FPS. I killed deer with it, all were DRT, but I’d they had run it would have been a mediocre blood trail. I swapped to the 150 gr Accubonds and have no such issues. They don’t have a maximum recommended velocity.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you only have so many shots with any load you work up if you want to keep this as a hunting rifle, that headpressure is a barrel killer after 400 rounds or so, even with the softer stainless barrel.