Consistent mouth yelpers?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Who makes em? Consistent from call to call.

I don’t care about cuts, price etc. I’m just sick and tired of wearing one out, then the ‘exact same call’ run completely different.

Can it be done or am I just crazy?

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I do like Woodhaven red wasp. But do not agree that sound stays consistent. I’m a fan of houndsman calls

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Who makes em? Consistent from call to call.
Can it be done or am I just crazy?

Mine 😁
Ive been doing it for about 3 years now. Very hard to do consistently. So many variations in latex, simply due to the way its manufactured, especially the thickness in varying spots on the same sheet.

Even using a high end press with all the bells and whistles it is extremely difficult to make 5 calls in a row that sound exactly the same. My field tester @turkeyfoot has killed a couple off my "red death" call. Since starting I have literally thrown hundreds in the trash can.

My "go to" calls that I buy only come from one source. Steve Kinder at XT Calls makes THE most consistent mouth calls I have ever used. I cant even begin to count the gobblers Ive killed off his original "Kee" ghost cut call. The arent expensive, delivery is quick and they last. I just message him thru FB and he'll make anything you want.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The only problem in buying mouth calls is that they cant be tested. Sure, I can sit here and crank 'em out until they are what I want, but I cant pop one in my mouth, test it, and then send it to you. Just the way it is.

Thats how a lot of these mass producers (Flextone ie; Busbice boys) get away with selling pure junk. Woodhaven comes to mind. Not picking on just them, but Ive bought a bunch of their stuff that is trash. The thing is that they make so many at one sitting that some people WILL hit the lottery and get great ones and swear that they are the best until they buy another one. Pure luck of the draw. Same could also be said of mass made pots and boxes in a way....Notice how the THP guys on YT push the Woodhaven stuff, but also notice how they go directly to Mikes shop and run calls til they get a screamer. They've shown themselves doing it with pots and strikers from huge bins, same goes for mouth yelpers straight from a big box, running them and tossing them in the trash til they hit on a few, but they dont show you that part.

Mouth calls are probably the only hunting related item that works this way. If it dont run you are stuck and cant say a word...

CBD21

Eight Pointer
If I’m not using ones a buddy makes for me I run hooks and have been pleased with them.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I use DC (Del Crow) Cramer's custom calls and XT (Steve Kinder) and they are all consistent and last all season. That said this year I bought one of each of the calls Dave Owens made to sell this year and they are the best mouth calls I've ran, for my mouth anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I use DC (Del Crow) Cramer's custom calls and XT (Steve Kinder) and they are all consistent and last all season. That said this year I bought one of each of the calls Dave Owens made to sell this year and they are the best mouth calls I've ran, for my mouth anyway.

Does Dave have a website?

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Lots of guys on here are better callers than I am but a good company to deal with is Natures Voice Gamecalls. Great prices, free shipping, good variety & customer service is fantastic. I reach out with my orders to the owner on Twitter. His account is the company name.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Agree with the Tom Teasers being consistently good. I can rely on my favorites sounding the same from year to year. I always stock up at the Deer Classic.

Jim

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Mine 😁
Ive been doing it for about 3 years now. Very hard to do consistently. So many variations in latex, simply due to the way its manufactured, especially the thickness in varying spots on the same sheet.

Even using a high end press with all the bells and whistles it is extremely difficult to make 5 calls in a row that sound exactly the same. My field tester @turkeyfoot has killed a couple off my "red death" call. Since starting I have literally thrown hundreds in the trash can.

My "go to" calls that I buy only come from one source. Steve Kinder at XT Calls makes THE most consistent mouth calls I have ever used. I cant even begin to count the gobblers Ive killed off his original "Kee" ghost cut call. The arent expensive, delivery is quick and they last. I just message him thru FB and he'll make anything you want.

My go to call and one of my all time favorite call was Billy white’s pro v 3. One year I told Billy his call was off (that was being nice), he said he’d got a different run of latex and it just could not produce same sound.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Look up Thad bright at featheridge, he makes the presses and handjigs to make your own and you can buy all your supplies from pioneer, it takes some time to find out what’s what but I’ve been making my own for about 6-7 yrs now, , they have fooled a couple longbeards, there is a big learning curve but once you find what you like you never have to worry with buying another call again

CBD21

Eight Pointer

I also bout 2 of Dave’s this year and you’re correct they sound great.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Look up Thad bright at featheridge, he makes the presses and handjigs to make your own and you can buy all your supplies from pioneer, it takes some time to find out what’s what but I’ve been making my own for about 6-7 yrs now, , they have fooled a couple longbeards, there is a big learning curve but once you find what you like you never have to worry with buying another call again

Huge learning curve...that aint no lie 😁

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the only call i have bought enough of to determine consitancy was a 4 reed from legacy that was terrible on consistency and halloran's natural born killer which has been great with every one i have purchased.

thanks for the info ol Copper you talked me right out of that endeavor. i had thought about making some.