Closing time

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No gobbles again from the ghost bird....
Saw a hen fly down into woods behind field.
Harnett county
15890198992842898939168817166140.jpg

hawkman

Eight Pointer
It's our last chance here in NC to get it done. headed out in Franklin County to it looks like a very nice day.
Good luck to all.
Geez. I thought we had another week! Gonna have to try this afternoon! The bird I tried for hasn't been out in the mornings but has been strutting it up in the p.m.

hawkman

Reactions: jug
Good luck guys, pretty sure I sprained my knee walking in, had some gobbles so tried to grit through it but he went the other way so I just called it. Looks like an ice pack and aleve for breakfast

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Committed the sin of road hunting this morning...spot hopped til I heard one. Didn’t get a real good bead and he was a 3 pokes but at least I’m out the truck:cool:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He would gobble this morning but not come so we got more aggressive got inside 100 in the woods. Answered a pure and cluck one time then shut up and walked away. Set up looking at warm sunshine now hoping he is chilly

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Cut a fresh set of gobbler track where I killed last week made this morning as it rained all night.silent and windy he can't be to far away . should have got here early.hunted house first.nothing .Jake's around.might get one later.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Me and my daughter got it done this morning. This particular bird and I have been several rounds this season. Scratching leaves sealed the deal. I’ll get some pics up soon. Biggest spurred bird I’ve ever killed.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Moved twice and got closer but ghost bird has hens and they have taken him away from me on the creek'.
That bird must have been covered up with hens. Saw a hen fly across the road towards him.o_O

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have been around and around with them this morning since daylight. The closest we got was calling one down a ridge about 80 yards away, and we called a hen in from the other side at the same time. She circled us at 15 yards, and then went right to him. Carried him away. A few minutes later we saw turkeys chasing each other out in the pasture. Still don’t know what that was about.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Shew...got blown slam off the mountain this morning. Knew it was gonna be cold and very windy but took my chances anyways....oh well....

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
I’ve had a lovely morning (sarcasm). Some of you might’ve seen my comment from yesterday...long story short I found 3 longbeards in a spot on Thursday. Friday morning I got to the gate well before daylight and got set up near their roost. Had 2 people walk past me and ended up watching them miss (karma). They both parked right by my vehicle at the gate which was very kind of them.

Wait there’s more, I was headed to the same gate even earlier this morning. I was about a mile away when I see a truck hauling butt behind me. The vehicle then passed me and the person in front of me on a double yellow. Turns out it was the same kind individuals from yesterday. They must’ve realized it was my truck and knew where I was headed. I did the right thing and headed to plan B after that. It’s wild how selfish and rude people can get over hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m704

Six Pointer
I’ve had a lovely morning (sarcasm). Some of you might’ve seen my comment from yesterday...long story short I found 3 longbeards in a spot on Thursday. Friday morning I got to the gate well before daylight and got set up near their roost. Had 2 people walk past me and ended up watching them miss (karma). They both parked right by my vehicle at the gate which was very kind of them.

Wait there’s more, I was headed to the same gate even earlier this morning. I was about a mile away when I see a truck hauling butt behind me. The vehicle then passed me and the person in front of me on a double yellow. Turns out it was the same kind individuals from yesterday. They must’ve realized it was my truck and knew where I was headed. I did the right thing and headed to plan B after that. It’s wild how selfish and rude people can get over hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iv seen sum craziness this year to not average hunters first timers watching to much YouTube

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Decided to sleep in ... been going at it hard since March 21. Been a good season.

hope to take my daughter for VA last day next Saturday

Good luck to all those who are out

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
No gobbles in Southampton, Va this morning. My wife's younger brother sealed the deal on a nice bird. It dodnt happen how we planned it out but we got him. He had beard rot but nice fan and Sharp 1 1/4" spurs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Birds are not talkative at all today and I keep making the wrong damn decision. Morning set up near the roost, get 3 gobbles then quiet, hen comes in yappin her head off and I'm thinking perfect he's gotta come in with her making all this racket...nothing. 8:45 decide to walk to the other side of the property and pop up on another hen and a Tom, back off of them, try to get the Tom away from her and that want happening. Fooled with him for a hour and decided to walk back to where I started in the morning in the field. I get ready to head down to the back corner and wouldn't you know it, there's a Tom and another hen back where I had been set up in the morning. I watched them for a bit until they eased off in the woods. I grabbed some lunch and back in the field to see if I can redeem myself.

.....and they just started cutting the field I'm in, guess that's the end of my turkey season

Last edited:

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Nothing like waiting until the last day to finally connect on one. This one really got me going because when I went to take the shot all I was greeted with was "click." The first dang shell was a dud. I have no clue how I didn't spook him while getting another one in the chamber but the next shot worked out. Ive been messing with this group of 5 (assumed) two year olds all season and today was the first time they would ever come in gun range.

Kinda ironic since I saw something bashing Winchester and their shells on here yesterday. Shot it three more times when I got home and confirmed that the shell was no good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 2.52.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 2.52.17 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 46

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Just like closing time, it's time to go home with an ugly one. Turkeys got farther away and fewer in number as my season progressed. I had fun trying, but the only longbeard I saw this spring was behind the house where I feed wildlife. *heavy sigh* It's been a while since tag soup was on the menu for me. I didn't enjoy it then either.

Some guy set up in the creek bottom where the gobbler roosts (trespassing on posted land) and he must have been cold, because I swear he was trying to start a friction fire with his box call this morning about 6:04 a.m.. I wish I was joking. After he set that box down (probably to let it to cool down) he started doing 15 beat owl calls on his obviously fake owl hooter over & over, one right after the other. Made me wonder if the guy ever heard a turkey or owl and what his ultimate goal was?

I'm severely discouraged that it will be 11 months before I can hunt turkeys again. *bumming hard* I definitely need to find another place to hunt that's away from the crowd.

Jim