Educate me on TSS

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Thinking about trying some for next year, been shooting Hevi-Shot Max Blend for years with no problems but always looking for new stuff I guess. Shooting a 11-87 3 1/2" with a Rhino .660 choke, anyone shooting this setup that shoots TSS?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot same choke and construction through 870 and its deadly but for close shots less than 20 puts me at high risk of missing shooting tss 7X9 blend and straight 9s. Great pattern at distance but I'm just about getting tempted to go back to hevi just no margin for error close

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I shoot same choke and construction through 870 and its deadly but for close shots less than 20 puts me at high risk of missing shooting tss 7X9 blend and straight 9s. Great pattern at distance but I'm just about getting tempted to go back to hevi just no margin for error close
We missed 6 birds last year using Rhino and Indian Creek chokes. Switched to factory full and have only one miss in 6 chances and it was a11 foot head shot

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We missed 6 birds last year using Rhino and Indian Creek chokes. Switched to factory full and have only one miss in 6 chances and it was a11 foot head shot
I considered and even did get more open choke then went back to rhino me that choke and gun have been all over country hunting birds I'm just to stubbororn to change. Now on my moss I did open up pattern and worked out well

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I’m pretty sure it’s not gonna play well with that .660. Pattern will probably blow out, but if it doesn’t it’s gonna be to tight to hunt with.

I’d go with 3” 9’s and a factory full if you wanna try it. That should give you a solid hunting pattern from close to more than far enough.

TSS really starts to shine in the sub gauges. My 410 with 9’s is light years ahead of where my 870 was with 2.25oz of lead. I killed a lot of turkeys with 3.5 mag blend, but the 9’s I’m shooting now are better.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
After seeing all those pasture birds in Tennessee kind of thinking a little extra range wouldn’t hurt next year.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely no need for a 3-1/2” shell loaded with TSS from a practicality viewpoint. Really no need for a 12 gauge period. Haha. But I’ve loaded 12 gauge 2 oz loads of 8’s for a buddy and he’s done an awful lot of killing with those shells. He’s killed as many hogs with that exact load while turkey hunting as most hunters will kill turkeys in a season.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I tried TSS ammo in my 3" 11-87 for the 1st time this spring. I used the Browning 1.75 oz. #7&9 shells. I got what I thought were pretty good patterns with the cheap .660 primos tight wad choke I already had. I've never been a hole counter as far as patterning shotguns but those shells gave a nice even pattern that was , what I considered, plenty dense enough to kill a turkey a good ways out and it was centered around my POA. Also got almost identical results with my 870 using the same choke. Killed a gobbler with each of those guns and shells this spring.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Like said 3.5” is just not needed this coming from someone that was in the I’ll shoot a 4” if they make it group. A 3” 2oz load of 8.5 or 9’s is more then plenty I’ve got several buddies shooting it and they do a lot of killing with it and like them. I’ve still got a 12ga setup shooting them but I hardly ever tote it anymore if I’m not hunting a .410 or 28ga I have a 870 20ga compact setup I tote. I’ve got experience with a Jebs .650 a hevi .662 and a sumtoy .665 in the 11-87 and 870 super mag. The .665 sumtoy is what I still have in it. 44711

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Just to be clear... I was joking about TSS

I started using it 2 years ago and haven’t looked back

lbksmom

Banned
When you get 50 and older, start shooting 3" shells more accurate saves your shoulder too? I got grand girl TSS 9 she nailed a Tom out 55 yds using a 20ga. Good luck to all.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I switched 2 years ago, I was expecting the factory full/extra full might do better than tighter restricted turkey chokes out of my 870. That was not the case.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I"ll throw this in just for clarification or whatever Grandpa. I don't know his main motivation but it is my understanding that our own Hawglips could be called the Father of TSS. He did all the development and testing on this stuff some time back. I think he was trying to develop a killing round for the lighter gauges and I think he may have started with a 28 ga. but after seeing how well that performed he worked up the .410 round. As far as I'm concerned, he did it all for me and for all the older guys who were getting beat up by the 12 ga. rounds. It has proven to be a very good round in the smaller gauges and there have been numerous birds taken at 40 yds. + with a .410. Although there has been proven success with the TSS loads now available for the 12 ga. I still see it as a better option for recoil sensative folks like kids and myself. With the right set-up I'm sure birds have been taken at 60 yds and better with a 12 ga. shooting TSS but what's the fun in that. LOL. Get you a .410 or a 20 and enjoy the lighter load in both the round and the weight you have to carry in the woods.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I have 2 Remington youth guns in 20 gauge that are slam dunk, lights out guns with the 3" #9 tss loads.
Even in 20 I still think that those light guns with 3" loads are too much for my 9 year old. They actually pack a pretty fair whollop for her.....Imma fixin to build us a real nice .410 😁

Get a .410 or a 20 gauge ZG, no need for the 12 and you'll still pick up most, if not all of the range you are looking for.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Switched to a 20 ga. with #9 TSS last year. Much more user friendly with zero loss of capability. More consistent 40 yd pattern than the 12 ga. with Hevi or TSS. And the penetration of the TSS at range is definitely superior to lead or Hevi. Definitely a better tool for the job at hand.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD EXAMPLE IF YOU DON'T RELOAD JUST OFF THE SHELF

A 1oz 28 gauge load of 9’s😂😂😂
A 28 gauge is an awesome lil gun to begin with but with tss, it turns into a God!!!!

And get up with Hal (hawglips)....if he don’t know, nobody else knows either when it comes tss!!!

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I shoot 3.5 inch mag blends out of an 11-87 with an IC tube, not sure of constriction. Shoots great, tried the 3 inch federal #9 TSS and at 40 yards it puts more pellets and a more even pattern than the blends.