ACC Football

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
giphy.gif

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I posted a reason, but it was taken down ...wasn’t aiming to stir the pot...just share what I know to be true...very elementary research (SM posts) paint the picture

these families aren’t sending their kids to play ball for Joe Biden over SEC teams for just the great education they’ll receive

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I posted a reason, but it was taken down ...wasn’t aiming to stir the pot...just share what I know to be true...very elementary research (SM posts) paint the picture

these families aren’t sending their kids to play ball for Joe Biden over SEC teams for just the great education they’ll receive

Thou shall not tell the truth when it comes to the seedy undercurrent at nchuntandfish.gov.... 🤪

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
not if you're slingin sam. :)

‘slinging Sam’? Really?

I don’t get the hype, really. He’s on a terrible team. I know the experts feel like they can spot the raw talent in about any situation, but.....he’s on a terrible team...and his record reflects it.

I just don’t get the hype.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
‘slinging Sam’? Really?

I don’t get the hype, really. He’s on a terrible team. I know the experts feel like they can spot the raw talent in about any situation, but.....he’s on a terrible team...and his record reflects it.

if you know the history of unc qbs you understand the hype. his stats are fabulous. He was a true freshman. A true homegrown NC talent. What a story.
Dont see how he could have done much better with that terrible team?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if you know the history of unc qbs you understand the hype. his stats are fabulous. He was a true freshman. A true homegrown NC talent. What a story.
Dont see how he could have done much better with that terrible team?

I’m with you on that. He did a great job with that team.

But, they were a terrible team. I just don’t get the hype.....until he leads them to great things.

I wish him the best. I’ll come right back here and give him full credit when it happens.

IF..... it happens.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
‘slinging Sam’? Really?

Terrible how? They will return 10 starters on offense and 8 on defense from a team who won 7 games and a bowl game, and whose 6 losses were by a combined 26 points. Even with your view of UNC, calling them a terrible team would be a stretch.

Knowing how they did last year and combining that with how they recruited, who they have coming back, the transfers who will be eligible to play and being in the 2nd year of a new system, most metrics would point to a likely 2 to 3 win bump for 2020. That's a damn good team if you ask anyone.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’m with you on that. He did a great job with that team.

But, they were a terrible team. I just don’t get the hype.....until he leads them to great things.

I wish him the best. I’ll come right back here and give him full credit when it happens.

IF..... it happens.
fair enough- I expect a 0-2 start. Unc wont likely be beating auburn and ucf and then we'll see how they do.

Last edited:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Terrible how? They will return 10 starters on offense and 8 on defense from a team who won 7 games and a bowl game, and whose 6 losses were by a combined 26 points. Even with your view of UNC, calling them a terrible team would be a stretch.

Knowing how they did last year and combining that with how they recruited, who they have coming back, the transfers who will be eligible to play and being in the 2nd year of a new system, most metrics would point to a likely 2 to 3 win bump for 2020. That's a damn good team if you ask anyone.

I’m sorry. I forgot they were 7-6.

Congratulations.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nobody is asking for your congratulations, just a little objectiveness.

They were far from terrible. Lol.

I’m betting they love their fans having this attitude. I played college sports. I’m betting if you asked the players on that team.......they’d tell you 7-6 is terrible.

I really hope none of them think that’s even “acceptable”.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I’m betting they live their fans having this attitude. I played college sports. I’m betting if you asked the players on that team.......they’d tell you 7-6 is terrible.

I really hope. One of them think that’s even “acceptable”.

Lol, Bullsh*t. You think you're the only one who's played sports? Why is everything static to you, as if it's taking place in a vacuum? Considering what they had just been through, it was a good season.

If you had asked guys who had won 5 games in 2 years that with a new set of coaches, new playbooks and a true freshman QB, that they'd still win 7 games and a bowl game, I bet all of them would have taken that with the understanding of where they had been. It was a helluva building block.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, Bullsh*t. You think you're the only one who's played sports? Why is everything static to you, as if it's taking place in a vacuum? Considering what they had just been through, it was a good season.

If you had asked guys who had won 5 games in 2 years that with a new set of coaches, new playbooks and a true freshman QB, that they'd still win 7 games and a bowl game, I bet all of them would have taken that with the understanding of where they had been. It was a helluva building block.

Because I don’t know of a single true competitor .....that would think 7-6 wasn’t terrible.

If you know people like that....and/or they’re the type you think play for UNC.....I’ll congratulate you on being right.

For their sake, though, I hope you’re wrong.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Because I don’t know of a single true competitor .....that would think 7-6 wasn’t terrible.

You're just playing both sides of the card now. You'd be the first to laugh at unrealistic expectations if I were to come here and say that UNC football players think they can win a national championship, but also the first here saying that none of them should be happy with 7 wins and a bowl a trophy. It's humorous.

No, none of these players should or would say that 7 wins in the ultimate goal or even last years goal, but goals aside, this is a discussion between how me and you view it, not them. 7 wins in year 1 of the process after only winning 5 combined games in the 2 previous years, should be a well received as part of the program building process. Again, you only view this in a vacuum.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You're just playing both sides of the card now. You'd be the first to laugh at unrealistic expectations if I were to come here and say that UNC football players think they can win a national championship, but also the first here saying that none of them should be happy with 7 wins and a bowl a trophy. It's humorous.

No, none of these players should or would say that 7 wins in the ultimate goal or even last years goal, but goals aside, this is a discussion between how me and you view it, not them. 7 wins in year 1 of the process after only winning 5 combined games in the 2 previous years, should be a well received as part of the program building process. Again, you only view this in a vacuum.

No. I view this as college sports.

You put all of these parameters in and I’m telling you the athletes just don’t think that way (THANK GOD!).

I remember going to play against FSU, South Carolina, Va. Tech, etc.... and I always figured I didn’t give a :donk:donk:donk:donk that they were ranked (____th). They were 20 yr old men.....JUST like us. I didn’t care that their budget and facilities and coaching were superior to ours. Those things don’t play the game.

These guys today....I HOPE feel the same way.

My sophomore yr I played outfield and hit .34x. My junior year I hit .298. Many would say I had a better junior season. I caught 50 games that year. Truth is....that’s :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk. .298 sucked.

I sincerely hope no one on that team thinks 7-6 is ok. I mean that with the utmost respect for them as competitors.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
No. I view this as college sports.

You put all of these parameters in and I’m telling you the athletes just don’t think that way.

I can guarantee you that not one UNC football player believed they could win the national championship this year but by your logic, that would be flawed thinking for an athlete. In my opinion, that's flawed thinking on your part. If you don't set realistic goals for yourself, you'd completely set your team and yourself up for letdowns time and time again. Yes, every competitor thinks they can go D1, every competitor thinks they have a shot at the pro's, and it's that drive that makes a part of you think or want to think that you could win every game and bring home a ring. That's the competitor and almost childlike mentality in all of us and anyone who's ever played sports at any competitive level understands that and has felt it. There is also another part that allows you to set realistic goals and then relish when you accomplish them. Mack gave these guys 2019 goals of beating Duke and State, and winning a bowl game. They all knew it and they understood it and they achieved it which is where all of this hype comes from. Both can exist.

The issue here is that you refuse to look at the big picture. You see it as 1 season as if these guys have no recollection of where they're coming from, versus the process of where they've been, where they're going, and meeting those small milestones you set for yourself in the summer when there are no cameras, or fans, or games being played. Like I've said 10x before, you're viewing this in a vacuum as if these guys are single-minded bots that you can just reset after the season ends. The players, coaches and fans alike know the limitations of the team despite the ever ending optimism that you feel before the rubber meets the road. Hell, you see it with posters on here, myself included. Every competitor has exactly what you're talking about, they wouldn't be a competitor otherwise, but it doesn't mean that they're/we're not realist. So yes, they can relish in 2019 as a success because they met 2019 goals but they can also realize that 2019 goals aren't long term goals. Both can be true.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can guarantee you that not one UNC football player believed they could win the national championship this year but by your logic, that would be flawed thinking for an athlete. In my opinion, that's flawed thinking on your part. If you don't set realistic goals for yourself, you'd completely set your team and yourself up for letdowns time and time again. Yes, every competitor thinks they can go D1, every competitor thinks they have a shot at the pro's, and it's that drive that makes a part of you think or want to think that you could win every game and bring home a ring. That's the competitor and almost childlike mentality in all of us and anyone who's ever played sports at any competitive level understands that and has felt it. There is also another part that allows you to set realistic goals and then relish when you accomplish them. Mack gave these guys 2019 goals of beating Duke and State, and winning a bowl game. They all knew it and they understood it and they achieved it which is where all of this hype comes from. Both can exist.

The issue here is that you refuse to look at the big picture. You see it as 1 season as if these guys have no recollection of where they're coming from, versus the process of where they've been, where they're going, and meeting those small milestones you set for yourself in the summer when there are no cameras, or fans, or games being played. Like I've said 10x before, you're viewing this in a vacuum as if these guys are single-minded bots that you can just reset after the season ends. The players, coaches and fans alike know the limitations of the team despite the ever ending optimism that you feel before the rubber meets the road. Hell, you see it with posters on here, myself included. Every competitor has exactly what you're talking about, they wouldn't be a competitor otherwise, but it doesn't mean that they're/we're not realist. So yes, they can relish in 2019 as a success because they met 2019 goals but they can also realize that 2019 goals aren't long term goals. Both can be true.

These guys...probably the vast majority of them....have been winners their whole lives. They’re likely VERY uncomfortable entertaining losing.

Lots of people don’t understand the attitude I’m discussing, and I don’t give you the whole story 😉. I’m talking about the kind of uncomfortable a top-notch golfer gets.....when he’s above par. That’s territory many can’t fathom. Lots of guys I know get REALLY uncomfortable when they’re under par. It’s because they’re out of their comfort zone.

I sure hope you’re wrong about them. I’m hoping I’m right (about ANY school’s players, today). Its 100 % fine for you and I to agree to disagree. Let’s just do that and move on.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
These guys...probably the vast majority of them....have been winners their whole lives. They’re likely VERY uncomfortable entertaining losing.

Lots of people don’t understand the attitude I’m discussing, and I don’t give you the whole story 😉. I’m talking about the kind of uncomfortable a top-notch golfer gets.....when he’s above par. That’s territory many can’t fathom.
You don't get it and the fact you just referenced a non-team sport in a discussion about a team sport, just cements that. Lol.

At every level of every sport you play there is going to be a winner and a loser and that never changes, so it doesn't matter how much a competitor doesn't like losing, they're going to end up on that end of the spectrum at some point. Every level also has it's way of weeding out the best of the best. The guys on this years Bengals team were the best college football had to offer and guess what? Still losing. None of that means you ever have to become comfortable with losing, and not liking losing and understanding yours or your teams limitations (something golfers don't have to worry about) aren't 2 mutually exclusive events. Hell, if this is the hill you want to take this debate to, isn't that even more indicative of UNC's successes? That they took a team of consistent losers for multiple years and turned it around to a winning season? Isn't that indicative of the drive to not lose, that you're talking about? They set goals, met those goals, had a winning season and yet you're here saying it's not okay because you refuse to see it as the process it is. It doesn't mean that they accepted mediocrity or that they didn't have a competitive mindset, quite the opposite it actually. It proves that they chose not to accept what they had become accustomed to, and decided to work harder and set goals that aligned with the capabilities of the team. It doesn't mean that they didn't show up to play thinking they couldn't win every game, hell you were likely one of the ones who laughed at Mack last summer for saying he thought they could beat Clemson, the same coach who set those realistic goals for the team. You can expect to win every game, you can play to win every game, you can also accept that you likely don't have the horses to do it right now and give yourself realistic goals in order to build confidence and see improvement. All of that can be true so I am not sure what it is you are trying to convince otherwise.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
You're really reaching right now to try and discredit what UNC did this season and chalk it up to something they shouldn't feel good about and I know exactly how you'll respond to this, by trying to shrink the frame and make it simply about this season and not the process that it truly is. There isn't one person, not even Vegas, who expected Mack, after a 5 year hiatus, to win 7 games in year 1 with a freshman QB and a team who had won 5 games in 2 years. Nobody, yet here you are calling it a terrible season! We all know why you'd want to downplay it. :ROFLMAO:

I'm moving on to another topic. ;)