Law to be changed for wild turkeys and distance from bait

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
HB 597 will now allow taking wild turkeys 300 yards or more from a mineral site.

Still would be illegal to take a turkey within 300 yards until 10 days after all bait/salt/mineral is gone.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
This basically means that those of us who hunt the same property for both deer and turkey won't want to put out mineral blocks until after the close of turkey season. I have historically put mine out each year in late winter with no thought about the legality of it with regards to turkey hunting. I think its odd that minerals are considered bait for turkeys anyway. I have never seen a turkey, nor gotten a pic of a turkey, at a mineral site. I wish they would rewrite the baiting regs to make minerals a non-issue with regards to turkey hunting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Here is the proposed text:

No wild turkey may knowingly be taken from an area within 300 yards of any place in which bait has been placed until the expiration of 10 days after the bait has been consumed or otherwise removed

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
This basically means that those of us who hunt the same property for both deer and turkey won't want to put out mineral blocks until after the close of turkey season. I have historically put mine out each year in late winter with no thought about the legality of it with regards to turkey hunting. I think its odd that minerals are considered bait for turkeys anyway. I have never seen a turkey, nor gotten a pic of a turkey, at a mineral site. I wish they would rewrite the baiting regs to make minerals a non-issue with regards to turkey hunting.
I have put out block year round in the past.
Just pick them up from the field store at the house then put them back out.
Same with feeders or corn..

ditchbank

Banned
Man, you sweat the BS

I don’t hunt anywhere near that kind of crap. 300yrds isn’t far. Back away and hunt. And of you are within 300yrds. In all honesty, I have never seen a game warden walk my property to see what I was hunting near or over. He checks my tags, talks a while, and leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So I gotta take 300 big steps or do I need to bring tape to measure it out. Oh and is that 300 as crow flies if not these steep hills I can walk 150 down and back up then just shoot from one hill to other kill bird 300 steps but 50 yards as crow flies. CRC better get that clarified for us. None the less now I know exactly how far to put the corn out

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Man, you sweat the BS

I don’t hunt anywhere near that kind of crap. 300yrds isn’t far. Back away and hunt. And of you are within 300yrds. In all honesty, I have never seen a game warden walk my property to see what I was hunting near or over. He checks my tags, talks a while, and leaves.

Sweat what?

Its part of a proposed bill in the state legislature that is likely to become law.

Don't yell at me. Yell at the NCWRC and the politicians in Raleigh.

I'm just giving you and other hunters a heads up.

ditchbank

Banned
The fact that you only posted this because you saw the guy post about the bird with corn in his crawl. You went to digging. Yes it’s a good thing you posted but I believe you get on a subject and then start looking for legal reaso. You should or shouldn’t. I’m
Not mad at you. I’m just reading. But I find it coincidental that you post this after the guy post after he killed a bird with corn in his crawl.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I posted this several days ago but did in fact bring back up because of that thread.

Hunters can be informed and decide whether they support such a change or not.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So if I got corn put out in the pasture at the top of the road one week before the season next year , .....can I hunt any area on my farm up at the Rock as long as I am 300 yards away from where the corn was?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
My take is as long as you are 300 yards away, you are good to go.

Just my take.

No more game warden interpretation, just a defined distance of 300 yards from the corn feeder.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So if I got corn put out in the pasture at the top of the road one week before the season next year , .....can I hunt any area on my farm up at the Rock as long as I am 300 yards away from where the corn was?
well no because you know that is chickenshit and dont need a HB54328761i to tell you.

• Haha
Reactions: jug

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No.

It was passed into state law last year before they could include it in the regs book.

Its in the state statutes I linked post number 13

Section (b)(2)

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
No.

It was passed into state law last year before they could include it in the regs book.

Its in the state statutes I linked post number 13

Section (b)(2)

So is it law for this season, even if it's not in the reg book.?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes.

It became effective starting this season

It became law last August after the regs book went out

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Yes.

It became effective starting this season

It became law last August after the regs book went out

That's great, we hunt 2K acres. Because there was no exact distance from our high protein feeders to where we might kill a turkey, we had to shut down all during the best antler growing period of the year. Now, we can keep feeding deer on half of the property and turkey hunt the other half. Thanks so much.

Reactions: CRC