Tss & Lead Only Chokes

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This ? has probably been asked many times before, but is it advisable to shoot TSS shot through "LEAD ONLY" choke tubes. I have a early 1990's Mossberg Model 835 12 ga. w/ numerous "LEAD ONLY" aftermarket chokes & factory Mossberg chokes (black), including a couple of factory Mossberg chokes that are made for steel shot (silver). Also, what constriction would you recommend? I have .675, .690, .695, .710. Seems like I have read that w/ the TSS to start w/ the more open constrictions, since the Ulti-Mag has an overbored barrel similar to a 10 gauge. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know. I don't relish going to the pattern board without having a starting point, since my TSS Turkey loads are 3 1/2".

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As well as the above, you need to shoot the turkey loads you will be using at a paper target from the various choke tubes (that will handle TSS) to find the one that patterns best for you. Nobody can tell you which one to use, because every gun patterns different, even using the same choke tube.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He is looking for a starting point. He is not looking for a final answer. I have zero experience with tss.

it is steel. I would not use a lead only choke.

I would treat it like duck loads. Start with a tight waterfowl choke.Try it out and the. Back off to the next construction and try that. If it improves...you may want to try a lighter constriction.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Chokes that are meant for lead only may bulge.

Start with factory full choke. I think you’ll be surprised, as TSS generally likes less choke over more.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You'll hear diffetent opinions but my 2 cents is I will not shoot either hevi or TSS through lead only chokes. Plenty affordable options like mentioned above don't overlook the factory with TSS 9s I've seen real nice patterns pics

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Chokes that are meant for lead only may bulge.

Start with factory full choke. I think you’ll be surprised, as TSS generally likes less choke over more.

what did I say to warrant the dislike? You came close to repeating the same stuff I said.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I routinely shoot TSS through "lead only" chokes if the TSS are the smaller turkey sizes.
I know you are the TSS authority, so in your opinion it would be fine to shoot Federal TSS #7 or #9's through a Primos Jelly Head choke for "Hevi-Shot & Lead Shot".

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I know you are the TSS authority, so in your opinion it would be fine to shoot Federal TSS #7 or #9's through a Primos Jelly Head choke for "Hevi-Shot & Lead Shot".

The single most impressive 40 yd TSS pattern I’ve ever seen came from a primos Jellyhead choke that looked like it was older than I was and it and the gun it was in looked like it’d been drug 40 miles behind the truck. Lol. It was an old mossberg with a 21” barrel.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup if its approved for hevi its not lead only that jellyhead will work fine I liked the original ones got some good patterns out of moss with it and hevi shot

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My 870 likes tss 9's through the factory improved cylinder steel shot choke.
That is interesting, because my late 80's Mossberg 835 came w/ 3 factory Steel shot chokes marked: (1) Full-2&BB Steel & -All Lead- (2) Mod-2&BB Steel & -All Lead- and lastly (3) Mod-T&F Steel & IC--All Lead-. Constriction on all three chokes are unknown. Reading conflicting info that state the overbored Mossberg likes a more open constriction like .720 w/TSS & some that say they get their best patterns w/ TSS from a Extra Full .676 Star Dot or a Extra Full .690 Primos Jelly Head made for Lead & Hevi-Shot makes it hard to know where to start @ the pattern board. Trying to avoid the high cost of patterning w/ multiple chokes w/ TSS #9, has anyone ever tried the Mossberg 835 Full or Modified steel chokes mentioned above & what were your results? I think I am trying to overthink this, but just trying to get opinions or shortcuts on whether to start w/ a tight or more open choke.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I tried it after reading a post from Hawglips,it really worked with my gun,it was too tight through full or turkey full.