F&S tests turkey loads at 40 yards

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i share coppers view, actually hoping that this thread would save us the endless pattern pics that dominate the forum.
the ones where somebody's feelings get hurt. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy patterning new shells and chokes but to be flat out honest after this tss don't see need anymore they will do more than I ever need a shell to. Only reason is to change guns and play with set up which is very popular with 410's these days

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I just find it amazing anyone would use lead anymore and even bother testing lead

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The article is pretty good as far as the information goes but is limited to a 12 ga. test. I just contacted him and pointed out to him that TSS loads were originally rolled to enable one to shoot a smaller gauge like a 28 or 410 and still be an effective turkey gun.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The article is pretty good as far as the information goes but is limited to a 12 ga. test. I just contacted him and pointed out to him that TSS loads were originally rolled to enable one to shoot a smaller gauge like a 28 or 410 and still be an effective turkey gun.
are you sure about that? before the small guages were coming into play there were "heated" discussions about teh loads value in 12 guage. Then ole Hal showed the world the potential in the pea shooters. :)

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer 🌽 and a high powered rifle . 😂

just stirring the pot.. haven’t had a good thread like this recently

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Not sure I understand the question Oldest School. I was just saying, regarding the article, that had he included the pea shooters in his tests and not limited it to the 12 gauge it should have shown that the lead shot in the .410 at 40 yards would have been marginal at best if not totally unacceptable. I am most appreciative of the work Hal has done, and continues to develop in regards to the smaller gauge loads with TSS. Had it not been for his work, I probably wouldn't be turkey hunting now. I don't even shoot 12 ga. field loads any more. The sad part is that Hal has not received the credit for what he has done, much less any monetary rewards. That, to me, speaks highly of him as an advocate for the sportsmen of the world.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure I understand the question Oldest School. I was just saying, regarding the article, that had he included the pea shooters in his tests and not limited it to the 12 gauge it should have shown that the lead shot in the .410 at 40 yards would have been marginal at best if not totally unacceptable. I am most appreciative of the work Hal has done, and continues to develop in regards to the smaller gauge loads with TSS. Had it not been for his work, I probably wouldn't be turkey hunting now. I don't even shoot 12 ga. field loads any more. The sad part is that Hal has not received the credit for what he has done, much less any monetary rewards. That, to me, speaks highly of him as an advocate for the sportsmen of the world.
my comment was to your statement about the original reason for rolling TSS. I did not think it was for the small stuff originally.
And of course I could be dead wrong. No worries,.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where is Turkey Commander when you need him? we had another poster who was deadly with #2 lead as well.

It's been a long time since I've seen TC here. Funny how when "pixie dust" became a widespread proven phenomenon, he just kind of faded away.

I agree with turkeyfoot though - you don't need a bunch of patterning now. Throw in a TSS #9 shell of your choice and even a bad choke/gun combo probably has twice the hits you need. A good one will blow it away. Seems like this is the destination at the end of the road as far as shells go. Only need to tinker when you want a new gun.

Oh.... and Field and Stream is about the last place I'm going to find patterning information.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Ol turkey commander was hoot little bit off but he is one heck of turkey hunter his style just isn't for most by that I mean only for very few. I'd sure like tote one his trumpets through woods though

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Ol turkey commander was hoot little bit off but he is one heck of turkey hunter his style just isn't for most by that I mean only for very few. I'd sure like tote one his trumpets through woods though
I agree. Killing dozens a year as he did (all legal) would tend to accelerate the learning curve. :)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It's been a long time since I've seen TC here. Funny how when "pixie dust" became a widespread proven phenomenon, he just kind of faded away.

I agree with turkeyfoot though - you don't need a bunch of patterning now. Throw in a TSS #9 shell of your choice and even a bad choke/gun combo probably has twice the hits you need. A good one will blow it away. Seems like this is the destination at the end of the road as far as shells go. Only need to tinker when you want a new gun.

Oh.... and Field and Stream is about the last place I'm going to find patterning information.
i'll go further. I aint gonna waste those things on paper. That is by far the second best reason for shooting them. No more chasing the "best" gun/choke/shell combo.
Thank you DHSTEN and Hal. My shoulder is grateful.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
my comment was to your statement about the original reason for rolling TSS. I did not think it was for the small stuff originally.
And of course I could be dead wrong. No worries,.

I'll admit that my knowledge about turkey loads and turkey hunting in general is limited. I started turkey hunting only about 15 years ago which is very short time by some of the more experienced turkey hunters here. Hal was the first one I ever heard about in reference to the TSS when I was complaining about not enjoying hunting with the 12 gauge and he offered me some TSS loads. I believe he was originally loading for his 28 gauge and had just recently moved to the .410. I believe it was a post he made here about a kill with his .410 that sent me into that direction. After talking with him some at that point I got the impression that he was one of the first to start rolling TSS and did it for the smaller gauges due to the reduced recoil. I'll have to as him about more specifics sometime. Regardless, I am sure glad it is here for my benefit although, once a gene is released from the bottle there can always be negative ramifications.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Where is Turkey Commander when you need him?:)

I sorta miss the good old days back on the NWTF and GON and Shotgun World and some other boards when everybody told me what I was doing was a lie, or it couldn't be done, or I was going to put an eye out, etc..... Kinda satisfying to see it become mainstream and to revolutionize turkey ammo, and to get the last laugh, so to speak...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Which countries makes TSS?
I heard tungsten fishing weights were a chinese product?

that's fine cause lead is ok for a sinker but ..... We fixing to have a run on TSS?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
are you sure about that? before the small guages were coming into play there were "heated" discussions about teh loads value in 12 guage. Then ole Hal showed the world the potential in the pea shooters. :)
Yep, correct. Ahh the old pixie dust threads.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yeah I know but won’t be using either

may not use corn (black sunflower seeds works better :eek: :LOL: :party:) but I will one day shoot one with my 25-20, .32-20, .218 bee,,22 Hornet or 17 squirrel,,,,

just cause it is a VERY traditional method of turkey hunting and I like old traditions,,,

where legal of COURSE,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
may not use corn (black sunflower seeds works better :eek: :LOL: :party:) but I will one day shoot one with my 25-20, .32-20, .218 bee,,22 Hornet or 17 squirrel,,,,

just cause it is a VERY traditional method of turkey hunting and I like old traditions,,,

where legal of COURSE,,,,
Already beat you to it, with a .22 mag and a couple other calibers, here and in WV. And it was legal.