DMF meeting Feb 20 - circle and bent-barb hooks

Clark

Ten Pointer
Release: Immediate
Date: Feb. 12, 2020
Phone: 252-726-7021
MEDIA ADVISORY: Marine Fisheries Commission to meet Feb. 19-21 in New Bern

MOREHEAD CITY – The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will meet Feb. 19-21 at the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center, 203 South Front St., New Bern.

The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. on Feb. 19, at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 20, and at 9 a.m. Feb. 21.

Public comment periods are scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. Feb. 19 and at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 20. Members of the public may speak to the commission on any fisheries-related topic. The chairman will allow each speaker to comment for three minutes. More time may be allotted, at the chairman’s discretion, depending on the number who sign up to speak. Those making comments will be asked to speak only once, either at the Feb. 19 or the Feb. 20 session, but not during both public comment periods.

The deadline for submitting written comments to the commission through the Marine Fisheries Commission Office is 5 p.m. Feb. 17. Those who wish to submit comments electronically may do so through an online format by clicking here <https://deq.nc.gov/marine-fisheries-commission-comment-form> .

Those who wish to bring their own handouts to give to the commission during the public comment period should bring at least 12 copies to the meeting. The Marine Fisheries Commission Office will not accept public comment for this meeting through email.

The public may listen to the meeting online. Up to 200 participants may listen to audio and view presentations in real-time on a first-come, first-served basis. Directions for participating in the webcast, including information on system requirements and testing, can be found here <http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/listen-online> . Following the meeting, an audio recording will be posted online.

The meeting agenda includes the following votes:

* Final adoption of the Blue Crab Fishery Management Plan Amendment 3;
* Approval of the goal and objectives for amendments for two fishery management plans,
* The Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan Amendment 3, and
* The Shrimp Fishery Management Plan Amendment 2;

* Approval of proposed language to prepare for rulemaking pertaining to
* The Shrimp Fishery Management Plan Amendment 1 Special Secondary Nursery Area Issue Paper, and
* Addressing user conflicts for shellfish leases; and

* Final adoption of proposed amendments to two rules,
* Amend 15A NCAC 03M .0509 to prohibit possession of tarpon and make it illegal to gaff, spear, or puncture tarpon by any method other than hook and line, and
* Amend 15A NCAC 03O .0108 to clarify the circumstances under which transfers of Standard Commercial Fishing Licenses are allowed.

The agenda also includes:
* Potential action to begin rulemaking for small mesh gill nets;
* Receiving a presentation on using circle hooks and bent barbed treble hooks to reduce discard mortality in catch-and-release fishing; and
* Potential action to begin the process to implement recreational hook and line rule modifications.

A full meeting agenda and briefing book materials are posted online here <http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/02-2020-briefing-book> .

LIVE STREAM: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/listen-online

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Great....more awesome "rules". Before you know it we will be.....fishing with straight hooks only....so you can just "feel" the fish.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
There is something I wish they would look at and that's bait fishing the Roanoke when the Stripers are migrating. I don't feel that bait is needed and that it promotes gut hooking breeding fish during a period that they are most venerable.
I guide on the Roanoke and every year I see countless dead fish floating downstream that have been killed by deep hooking. Their "released" because their not within the slot and die for no reason.
I won't allow any of my clients to even keep a fish, we catch, photograph and release......

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
you should go and get that s... straightened out. pun intended.

ill have to submit electronically where I can proof read. I’m not good at keeping my patience where common sense lacks. Like there’s a reason we have to put stickers on wood chippers talking about keeping body parts out of certain areas. Those stickers were made for the ones entertaining and pushing blanket hook rules.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
ill have to submit electronically where I can proof read. I’m not good at keeping my patience where common sense lacks. Like there’s a reason we have to put stickers on wood chippers talking about keeping body parts out of certain areas. Those stickers were made for the ones entertaining and pushing blanket hook rules.
i may be wrong but from what i gather "keeping my patience" is not required or expected at salt fish hearings?

Wilmywood

Button Buck
I went to the meeting in New Bern and was surprised at the overall lack of commercial fishing representation in the crowd. Out of the 30 some odd folks that spoke, only two were commercial fisherman.