Fresh venison Sweet Italian and Kielbasa sausage

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I've always made venison breakfast sausage, but never any other type.
After receiving a sausage stuffer for Christmas thought I would give it a try.

Made a order from Lem for an assortment
of different types of seasoning packs to do five pounds each, some fresh, some cured.

a790afe753ca43ee56c7d3b805da50f1.jpg

I made both of the fresh seasoning packs first, using 80% venison , 20% pork butt and collagen casings.

976e05194cab8da641a2ef02f522ee7b.jpg

Getting the hang of keeping the right pressure on the casings got easier as I went.

d70ef99386206c38d7f0418b33f3dc24.jpg

6c3e6ed53dfbe4a55611627ea7637155.jpg

Fried up a patty of the kielbasa for taste test. I was pleased with how they turned out.
Freezing and vacuum sealing is all that's left to do.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
30% pork fat for deer sausage. Wouldn’t go lower than 25%, closer to 40% if using butts.
I am pleased with the results of the fresh type of seasoning packs.
When I make the cured versions and use the smoker I will defently raise the percentage of pork butt or fat.

Sorry I missed the conversation, hit the hay early last night.
You guys have been helpful and I do appreciate all tips.
Probably try some summer sausage in the future.

Question while I am at it. The nine pt. buck I harvested this year was probably the most rutty smelling I've ever taken. I know all the usual ways to make the meat eatable.
But, was wondering would making smoked sausage help any with the ruttiness or be a waste of seasonings?

Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I am pleased with the results of the fresh type of seasoning packs.
When I make the cured versions and use the smoker I will defently raise the percentage of pork butt or fat.

Sorry I missed the conversation, hit the hay early last night.
You guys have been helpful and I do appreciate all tips.
Probably try some summer sausage in the future.

Question while I am at. The nine pt. buck I harvested this year was probably the most rutty smelling I've ever taken. I know all the usual ways to make the meat eatable.
But, was wondering would making smoked sausage help any with the ruttness or be a waste of seasonings?

I assume you are calling “rutty” a stronger taste or a smell coming from the meat? So many things can contribute to off tasting/smelling meat, however, many of them derive from the initial butchering phase. Something as simple as a contaminated knife can even be a culprit. Assuming a deer is butchered correctly both deer genders taste the same to me. The only variance at times is the tenderness...IMO.

I butcher my own deer and go through a careful process from start to finish. Ensuring a quick field dress and getting the meat cooled quickly goes along way to the overall taste. I also age most all of my venison. Folks will have different opinions... find what works for you and good luck with experimenting with different recipes.

Last edited:

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the input. The buck had an extreme rut stink to it before I touched it.

Like you I butcher my own game, probably been doing it about fourty years now.
He was heart shot and fell within sight.
Dressed and home in a short time to hang overnight in below freezing temps, skinned and quarter the next morning.

I have not cooked any of it yet , but I am expecting it to taste stronger than nomal.
Thinking the sausage seasoning cure and smoking the meat might mask the stronger taste. Just trying to get an opinion.

Only thing I could find out of the ordinary with the buck was a bullet hole in an ear and a abscess tooth on the lower jaw.
Deer is in my avatar pic.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the input. The buck had an extreme rut stink to it before I touched it.

Like you I butcher my own game, probably been doing it about fourty years now.
He was heart shot and fell within sight.
Dressed and home in a short time to hang overnight in below freezing temps, skinned and quarter the next morning.

I have not cooked any of it yet , but I am expecting it to taste stronger than nomal.
Thinking the sausage seasoning cure and smoking the meat might mask the stronger taste. Just trying to get an opinion.

Only thing I could find out of the ordinary with the buck was a bullet hole in an ear and a abscess tooth on the lower jaw.
Deer is in my avatar pic.

“Only thing I could find out of the ordinary with the buck was a bullet hole in an ear and a abscess tooth on the lower jaw”.

Very well could be a contributing factor.... I don’t mess with infection. Period.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Daggone, Coastal ! That looks geat ! Mouth watering looking at that pic ! I can almost smell the smoke and them peppers.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Similar to post above, the buck I killed this year is definitely the gamiest deer I have ever been around. That deer was cleaned and put in ice for 10 days. Deboned in day 10 and in tubs in fridge for a couple of days. Deer was the. Ground into burger.

Every morsel so far has been super gamey. Nothing seemed off or smelled off during any of the process.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Similar to post above, the buck I killed this year is definitely the gamiest deer I have ever been around. That deer was cleaned and put in ice for 10 days. Deboned in day 10 and in tubs in fridge for a couple of days. Deer was the. Ground into burger.

Every morsel so far has been super gamey. Nothing seemed off or smelled off during any of the process.
You may try getting it off the bone before aging it on ice. Seems to make a difference to me. I usual debone it the day after the kill and put it in a cooler with a a rack on the bottom to keep the meat out of the blood and melted ice. Drain every day and put more ice on top when needed. I been doing it this way for over 30 years and never had a super gamey piece of meat no matter how old or stinky to start with.