Bow sight with cross hairs for pins

darekzman

Four Pointer
Still waiting for my new Mathews VXR to arrive. In the meantime, I'd like to have a bow sight ready when it gets here. I'm trying to find a sight that has cross hairs for pins. I guess that means it would be an adjustable sight. And it would be a scope I guess. I'm just interested in fine line cross hairs and not regular pins that block or in my case distract the view of the target. Anyone know of a good sight that has either cross hairs or a dot?

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Spot hogg has a wire behind the pins that will create a crosshair look and not be bulky(blocking out the target). Garmin makes a sight with a rangefinder built in that will create a dot on the lens that once sighted in will correspond as your point of aim and eliminate the need to move anything or take a rangefinder with you.

darekzman

Four Pointer
Spot hogg has a wire behind the pins that will create a crosshair look and not be bulky(blocking out the target). Garmin makes a sight with a rangefinder built in that will create a dot on the lens that once sighted in will correspond as your point of aim and eliminate the need to move anything or take a rangefinder with you.
Not sure which Spot Hogg you are thinking of. I found the Spot Hogg Spark Hunter with illuminated cross hairs but some have said it is hard to see on a bright day. That Garmin is nice but I don't know about waiting 5 to 7 seconds for the dot to show up every time it ranges, and it's way out of my price range.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Not sure which Spot Hogg you are thinking of. I found the Spot Hogg Spark Hunter with illuminated cross hairs but some have said it is hard to see on a bright day. That Garmin is nice but I don't know about waiting 5 to 7 seconds for the dot to show up every time it ranges, and it's way out of my price range.

he is talking about a wire that runs vertically behind the sight pins, creating a cross hair type feel. Not exactly a cross hair like you would see on an Xbow or rifle scope, but it creates a vertical and horizontal axis to focus on. I am not aware of bow sight with true cross hairs besides the Garmin that was referenced but there may be something out there.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Spot Hogg sights are as tough and accurate as they come. I’m using a Fast Eddie XL and it’s been great.

darekzman

Four Pointer
These are ones I found so far. Would love to see the cross hairs in real life.

1) Apex Covert Pro $219 illuminated

2) TruGlo Range Rover Pro 2 Dot $199 illuminated

3) Axcel AV31 Plus $119 housing only
4) Spot Hogg Spark Hunter $150 housing only

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m not sure if this will help but thought I would throw it out there.

Sword Sights.

I don’t see a crosshair, but you might be able to call and they may have an option available.

I bought a sword probably 10 years ago. It’s built like a tank. I don’t see any reason that it shouldn’t last forever.

When competing, I was shooting a lot. The sight never let me down.

SM270

Ten Pointer
I have personally owned and shot the Apex Covert Pro, and Tru Glo. Here is what I can tell you.
I have 20/15 vision, and in a ground blind once it starts to get a little dark the green dot was a little fuzzy for me. In a tree stand it wasn’t that bad. You loose a lot of daylight in my opinion in a ground blind regardless. I remember one in particular. Doe at 18-20 yards perfectly broadside in the food plot I had the dot turned on, drew back, and didn’t feel comfortable. It wasn’t too dark to shoot, with traditional pin sights I would have let the arrow fly. For some reason that dot plays with my eyes. May be different for you.

I'm going to try the ez v sight. Its not a crosshair or even close to a traditional bow sight, but I mention it here because it gives you an unobstructed view at your target area. The "pins" are on the sides of the 'V'. It is all about fitting the vitals inside the "V" of the sight. Different concept from pretty much any other bow sight out there. Probably not be for everyone but from what I've read/seen it works great for hunting. https://ezvsight.com/

You might checkout the Ultraview scopes. You can pretty much add whatever dot/circle you want, they have a sticker pack with a lot of options.

darekzman

Four Pointer
I have personally owned and shot the Apex Covert Pro, and Tru Glo. Here is what I can tell you.
I have 20/15 vision, and in a ground blind once it starts to get a little dark the green dot was a little fuzzy for me. In a tree stand it wasn’t that bad. You loose a lot of daylight in my opinion in a ground blind regardless. I remember one in particular. Doe at 18-20 yards perfectly broadside in the food plot I had the dot turned on, drew back, and didn’t feel comfortable. It wasn’t too dark to shoot, with traditional pin sights I would have let the arrow fly. For some reason that dot plays with my eyes. May be different for you.
I've heard some have issues with seeing the dot. That's what I'm afraid of.

darekzman

Four Pointer
Interested in selling the TruGlo Range Rover Pro 2 Dot? Do you still have it?

darekzman

Four Pointer
I'm going to try the ez v sight. Its not a crosshair or even close to a traditional bow sight, but I mention it here because it gives you an unobstructed view at your target area. The "pins" are on the sides of the 'V'. It is all about fitting the vitals inside the "V" of the sight. Different concept from pretty much any other bow sight out there. Probably not be for everyone but from what I've read/seen it works great for hunting. https://ezvsight.com/

You might checkout the Ultraview scopes. You can pretty much add whatever dot/circle you want, they have a sticker pack with a lot of options.
From the video it looks good. He said that they had cross hairs but I didn't see him show that option. I found it very interesting that he said that for hunting scenarios, a "scope" can cause a lot of issues. Like what?

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
From the video it looks good. He said that they had cross hairs but I didn't see him show that option. I found it very interesting that he said that for hunting scenarios, a "scope" can cause a lot of issues. Like what?

Having been a professional archer and shooting my bow so much in a wide variety of scenarios to train, I’ll give you a few. The scope itself is not the issue, it’s the lens. In a light to dark scenario and a dark to light scenario, the lens can become fuzzy and hard to distinguish definition through it. In the event it rains or the lens becomes wet it can make focusing on the target hard to do with the lens obscured by the rain/water. Most scope lenses are matched to a peep with a lens called a clarifier to clear up the sight picture for the shooter. This can also be a tough combination for hunting vs target shooting. I’d say that any sight with a scope style housing would be great but when you add a lens it becomes a different animal.

darekzman

Four Pointer
Having been a professional archer and shooting my bow so much in a wide variety of scenarios to train, I’ll give you a few. The scope itself is not the issue, it’s the lens. In a light to dark scenario and a dark to light scenario, the lens can become fuzzy and hard to distinguish definition through it. In the event it rains or the lens becomes wet it can make focusing on the target hard to do with the lens obscured by the rain/water. Most scope lenses are matched to a peep with a lens called a clarifier to clear up the sight picture for the shooter. This can also be a tough combination for hunting vs target shooting. I’d say that any sight with a scope style housing would be great but when you add a lens it becomes a different animal.
I thought lenses that have magnification start to become a different animal. And once you get above a 2 power lens, then the need of a clarifier comes into play?

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I thought lenses that have magnification start to become a different animal. And once you get above a 2 power lens, then the need of a clarifier comes into play?

For the most part you would be correct, but if your vision is not great then that’s another situation. Most of the guys that are top tier shooters have great vision and they use that vision as an advantage to find a small leg up.

May I ask why you are interested in a “crosshair” style aiming point?

darekzman

Four Pointer
For the most part you would be correct, but if your vision is not great then that’s another situation. Most of the guys that are top tier shooters have great vision and they use that vision as an advantage to find a small leg up.

May I ask why you are interested in a “crosshair” style aiming point?
Vision is not great. Why you ask. It's really just a mental thing. The fiber optic pin holders block the target for me and is real distracting. Too much of the target is covered up for me.

I found myself firing when any part of the pin arm was on the vitals. Sounds stupid but I had a hard time with that type of target panic. I suppose I could find a single pin sight that comes up from the 6 o'clock position. This would be an improvement for me.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Try a .29 single pin.

If you don’t like distracting try different color fibers.
A dull cross hair on a deer through a peep at prime time will be next to impossible to see.
Cheers.
If you have a sight that accepts “target scopes” you have endless options to look at on Lancaster archery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Vision is not great. Why you ask. It's really just a mental thing. The fiber optic pin holders block the target for me and is real distracting. Too much of the target is covered up for me.

View attachment 40423

I found myself firing when any part of the pin arm was on the vitals. Sounds stupid but I had a hard time with that type of target panic. I suppose I could find a single pin sight that comes up from the 6 o'clock position. This would be an improvement for me.
View attachment 40424

Reason I asked is now I kinda understand your position and my suggestion for help is a little more informed. What we typically see with aiming in archery is that most but not all individuals have a hard time with the inability to focus on the target and not the pin. What I’d be curious to see or know is do you suffer from this phenomenon? Usually with less than above average sight we see individuals hurrying shots because of the inability to focus on the target or the pin. What I was taught and learned is that focusing on the target is a far and away better choice than focusing on the pin. My pin during shot process is actually blurred as I’m attempting to look through it and let it just get in the way while aiming. The more of the target that is blocked by say a halo effect on the pin or even a crosshair will have an effect on your your ability to “feel” comfortable staying on target. I suggest looking at verifier peeps if your pins are blurry but still focusing on the target and just letting the pin get in the way. It’s been my experience and likely your experience that a crosshair style sight is not in high demand or that you have a great deal of options. The reason is they seem to not be the best aiming solution for archery equipment at various ranges, if you were shooting a dedicated distance every shot we could possibly work a crosshair better for you. The Spot Hogg is the best of both worlds as far as pin sights go for that crosshair look that I’ve used. Hope this helps and does not hinder👍