Signs of spring

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Won’t be long and we’ll hear the first woodthrush singing and the first tinge of green in the spring woods.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
This warm weather got my juices flowing. Had to scratch the itch this morning...

009bb74edacce822009e2c4be02d044d.jpg
d739182cc3e1867548e41a735eef7893.jpg
4b864857b3a39833e2ec62d6b0fdd619.jpg

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Way to Go, Hal! With the 28 too. Cool.

Jim

This one was with the .410 Yildiz. I was actually pretty surprised at what it did to her head at 47 yds, loaded with 370 grains of 9x10s. She just melted right there, and didn't flop any till I walked up on her.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Forty seven yards is farther than I've ever killed one with a 12 ga.,. I started turkey hunting with a 12 gauge modified choke single shot, so shots that far is against my nature. I also haven't made the crossover to TSS yet either. Congratulations on breaking the year in right.

Jim.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Hal, you can't post that without a story!

And coincidentally I fried some turkey nuggets last night.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Hal, you can't post that without a story!

I was hunting a large creek bottom area that had a block of 10 or 15 year old pines jutting out through the middle on a ridge. I hadn't hunted there in the fall/winter for about 10 years, but had an encounter there with a peek-a-boo gobbler on opening day last April, so I figured I'd give it a go. l got into the edge of the pines on the east side early and couldn't resist owl hooting at gobbling time, since it was so warm. I was hoping a gobbler was feeling frisky... But no responses on that side of the pines, so I made my way through the pine, yelping, as fly-down time approached. I got an answer in a tree in the bottom on the opposite side of the pine ridge, so I eased that way. Soon it became apparent that there was a mixed flock of birds roosted spread out over a hundred yards area or so. I heard them start to fly down as I carefully worked over that way.

When I got to the edge of the pines after they had all flown down, I kept calling as I heard them working away from me, but answering. Threw in some kee kees and kee kee runs in hopes motherly instincts might pull one back towards me.

I continued down a slight draw going down into the creek bottom and saw some strutters about 120 yds away to the west across the deep creek. I also kept getting answered by other turkeys to the north, on my side of the creek. I stayed put and watched the ones across the creek wondering what move I could make after it became clear where they were heading. I kept calling every few minutes to keep in touch with those answering me.

All the sudden, a hen popped up down below me from the right - she had came from the ones I'd heard to the north - and did the typical "you see me and now I'm leaving" fall shuffle. I knew it was a long shot, but I also figured it was in range of my load, and knew that nothing else was coming after she had come in and saw me.. She stopped, and I put the bead on her. She just melted right there, and didn't flop at all till I walked up on her.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congratulations a great winter hunt

You’ll be getting responses from the owl call soon enough

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Signs of spring or perhaps just dementia; :)
Unconsciously Voice "yelping" while walking from the grill today after lunch.
Some times I get great rasp, sometime it's just too flat. Sounds just like some hens i have heard.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Nice strutter picture. If that doesn't get you fired up, nothing will.

Today, my wife saw 2 grown longbeards feeding in a field in the rain beside the block of woods I hunt. No pics, as traffic was behind her.

Turkey season gets closer every day.

Jim