Heck of a trout bite today

redbow

Ten Pointer
That would get me bent out of shape also. A little consideration from either side goes a dang long way in tight quarters
Good to hear you say that darenative. I've has that happen multiple times to me. I've always said I'm not against netting. I just think there should be limits on how far up a creek they can set.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone on here been lately? I have been busy at home with home improvement projects and haven't been since 1/12. I've heard some epic numbers from a few areas on the Pamlico, and have seen pics/heard about some true whoppers being caught in all the expected locations. A friend caught a 27 incher this past Saturday, and another uber experienced trout fisherman lost a trout that he says was "30 inches, maybe more". Lost him at the boat....fish thrashed hard, lure came of fish's mouth, then snagged in side of it's head and pulled off a few seconds later. Looking forward to going again soon.

PTman

Four Pointer
i went last saturday. we caught quite a few but were all small. it was absolutely packed where we were though. it was the first time i fished that place, probably the last. i will be down the first weekend of feb at a friends house on the pamlico. will probably pull the boat down just in case i get a chance to go out. i've never fished this late into the season.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone on here been lately? I have been busy at home with home improvement projects and haven't been since 1/12. I've heard some epic numbers from a few areas on the Pamlico, and have seen pics/heard about some true whoppers being caught in all the expected locations. A friend caught a 27 incher this past Saturday, and another uber experienced trout fisherman lost a trout that he says was "30 inches, maybe more". Lost him at the boat....fish thrashed hard, lure came of fish's mouth, then snagged in side of it's head and pulled off a few seconds later. Looking forward to going again soon.
good reports from the pamlico over the weekend, not so good from the nuese but the pamlico source really knows his stuff.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
you guys have to be the best fishermen around to catch anything on that actionless piece of plastic. :)

I would love to hear mirrolure techniques as one day i want to catch a fish on one.

They do work but I would rather catch them on a grub. Going to Jekell Island Island in a couple of weeks and I will have both the grubs and mirrolures ...........

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I caught good numbers on Saturday, but left them biting as I would rather had caught Stripers. Lots of boats where the Trout were. Bigger ones came on a large grub, vs the Mirro Lure.

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
I saw a ton caught on Sunday, I couldn’t buy one!! The bite was much slower on Monday but I finally managed to catch a limit . I did catch a ton of stripers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
afd4f6c0d61ea7a16f5d9e885067a9d2.jpg

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
In what world is a ton of stripers < than a limit of trout? :)

It’s not!!! I was just trying to catch trout.... I’ve not got it down yet. I’m trying to figure it out. I’ve caught a bunch on popping corks and swim baits during the fall... I haven’t figured out the cold weather stuff yet

BUT I will

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
No treble hooks to deal with...With schooling fish especially and multiple people fishing, it's just safer to have one hook on a bait...

If that is the reason, treble hooks can easily be swapped out for in-line single hooks. I have some friends that do that when there are lots of drum around.....simply because they seem to "inhale" the lure and treble hooks are no bueno when they make it down deep.

Most folks (not all) will tell you that a 17mr (worked properly) will out catch a grub most days in the fall/winter months. I 100% believe in the 17mr this time of year. For what it's worth......I hated 17's and only used grubs until a friend coached me on how to work a 17 properly.

To each his own. Catch 'em up!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If that is the reason, treble hooks can easily be swapped out for in-line single hooks. I have some friends that do that when there are lots of drum around.....simply because they seem to "inhale" the lure and treble hooks are no bueno when they make it down deep.

Most folks (not all) will tell you that a 17mr (worked properly) will out catch a grub most days in the fall/winter months. I 100% believe in the 17mr this time of year. For what it's worth......I hated 17's and only used grubs until a friend coached me on how to work a 17 properly.

To each his own. Catch 'em up!
have you already told us how to work it properly? If not please share. cause one day I want to catch one trout on one. :)
It's a running joke i have with some friends.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
old school - I have explained what works for me but I'm far from an expert. I can hold my own and catch enough trout on those baits to really enjoy my time, but I'm not the best around at it either. check out post #117. I will add that my twitches are not light and dainty. IMO, if you're not cracking the line, you're not twitching hard enough. It's not a full swing yank, but more of a smooth sweep with arm ended w/ a short swift pop of the wrist. hard to explain now that I tried. a lot depends on your rod's tip action. I like light fast action rods for 17's. I use 6'-06" light rods w/ fast tip and 1000 series reels. Easier to handle, easier to work the bait, easier to cast all day, and really fun to fight trout with.

Last edited:

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
I bet you're reeling to fast. I'm serious when I say really light twitch, 1 turn on the reel, let it sit. It is super slow fishing. And the strike is very light. I like using braided line because it is more sensitive.

I’m sure. I don’t have much patience. It’s always in my mind that I’m wasting too much time . I’m MAKING myself slow down

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Why fish a grub?

I just like them better. I am kinda like OS said. It is a do nothing lure and I hate the way you have to work it. sure I know it catches fish like crazy sometimes but I just like grubs better. I have had a few days when i needed the Mirrorlures but usually i can catch just as many on grubs. That said I do have right many of them. If you are killin them on a ML and I am striking out on a grub I am going to be the first and quickest to change.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Why fish a grub?

also , The ML vs grub thing t]is similar to how I shad fish. . Like I said I have rarely had friends outfish me with ML vs grubs but it does happen occasionally. Then I change .

now the shad situation, shad spoon vs jig. I have rarely had shad spoons out fish me with jigs. But, 1 day on the Cashie River last year I couldnt buy a bite with a jig. This was one of those rare days. I then switched to a spoon and caught them.
I will use them if I am getting outfished .

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I always fish grubs 'cause I always catch fish with'em. But I sat in the back of a boat and watched my partner outfish me 5-1 with a 17 and I couldn't buy a bite with a grub? I'm good at changing lures, no problem.