Here's hoping...

KrisB

Ten Pointer
No luck yet. The water in the pond keeps rising from all the rain we're getting here. I moved the traps again this morning. Will check tomorrow, but I probably need floats with the fluctuating water levels from the rain.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are setting runs near a den hole, the rats will usually be hugging the bottom at that point and the run will be clear of soft mud and vegetation. I want my traps in the bottom of those runs.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
No luck this morning, so I pulled the traps. Thank you for the advice, QBD. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to find any muskrat sign and was setting these blind. I'm learning that's not a good idea. Maybe the muskrats are only in farm ponds on private land, which I can't trap at the moment.

But there is going to be a beaver trapping adventure with a friend starting this evening. Will write a separate post about it. Very excited! :)

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Kris, remember to read the sign in the area. Look for the den holes in the sides of banks and toilet areas as well. Also areas where they come onto the bank to feed. Normally when I find a rat, there are several. Good Luck!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Kris, remember to read the sign in the area. Look for the den holes in the sides of banks and toilet areas as well. Also areas where they come onto the bank to feed. Normally when I find a rat, there are several. Good Luck!

Thanks! I'm looking for all that and haven't found any of it yet in any of the places I've been. I'll keep scouting.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks! I'm looking for all that and haven't found any of it yet in any of the places I've been. I'll keep scouting.
I can’t remember if I asked you if you have waders or hip boots and are able to get in the water. It can be near impossible to see the entrances underwater from the bank. I’ve caught rats at den entrances that were on dry land here n there but several underwater as they headed out to the runs Harold mentioned.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
have ya set the rat stool I gave ya yet?

Not yet because I didn't have waders or hip boots, but now I have some knee-high water boots I got from my uncle's that fit me, so I can set that muskrat stool now. How far from the bank should I put it?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I can’t remember if I asked you if you have waders or hip boots and are able to get in the water. It can be near impossible to see the entrances underwater from the bank. I’ve caught rats at den entrances that were on dry land here n there but several underwater as they headed out to the runs Harold mentioned.

Yep, I have some water boots now, so I am able to get in the water now.